PDA

View Full Version : timing belt? :(

NastyNate
10-16-2005, 05:26 PM
the timing belt is loose about 1/2 to 1 inch of play. is this norm or should i look into replacing this?

ice_cold_ian
10-16-2005, 08:58 PM
Yeiks! i don't even know how much play you should have with the belt, but if you are at all suspicious of it, i would strongly reccomend looking into replacing it... If it goes, could be a hefty repair.

bobafett
10-16-2005, 09:03 PM
NON INTERFERANCE MOTORS///

but if your belt is loose its probably a good sign to change it... :)

POS carb
10-17-2005, 07:57 AM
there's also a tensioner down below the water pump, you can use this to tighten it until you can replace it.

Oldblueaccord
10-17-2005, 12:08 PM
the timing belt is loose about 1/2 to 1 inch of play. is this norm or should i look into replacing this?

too loose

banjo tight is right :bowrofl:

wp

88Accord-DX
10-17-2005, 03:00 PM
The tensioner adjust the belt as it get loose. I would replace the belt if the belt has that much slack. Make sure you put the engine on TDC before taking it off. The crankshaft bolt will be fun breaking loose too.
I don't think anyone can agree on whether it's a INTERFACE engine or a NON-INTERFACE engine....

NastyNate
10-17-2005, 06:09 PM
aroding to auto zone "there a joke though!" its an inerfeance engine.

also my sister's friend just bad his break and there went the engine!

88Accord-DX
10-17-2005, 07:01 PM
Here is what my Chiltons manual says about timing belts.

**Warning***
Severe engine damage will occur if the timing belt should break. Honda uses an "interface" engine design. If the timing belt breaks, the valves will contact the pistons & likely become damaged.

On models through 89, Honda does not specify a recommended inspection or replacement interval. However, since these engines utilize an "interface" design, it is highly recommended to at least inspect the timing belt at 60,000 mile intervals. It is even better idea to replace the timing belt at these intervals.
Replacing the timing belt before its recommended interval is a wise choice. It is far less expensive to replace the belt than to repair the engine damage which results from the belt breaking.

Straight out of Chilton