PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to say "Thanks".

lackej1971
10-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Hey Everybody,

I am ecstatic!!! Today, I followed the instructions that I found on this site for adjusting the valve clearances in my 88 Accord DX. This car has NOT run right since I got it 2.5 years ago for 200 dollars. It is a pretty good car with a good body and a pretty good interior.
Anyway, after the valve job, I started it up and WOW!!!! What a difference!!!

My car has NEVER ran like this before!!! Yes, I am excited. I was just before taking this car to a service place where I am sure they would have crucified me. Now, I have to drive it at night and see if the engine shuts off also. I don't know why, but I think it has something to do with the headlights being on and drawing power off the battery. Maybe the alternator is going out????

Maybe it got fixed today. One thing that I noticed was different was that the exhaust smelled somewhat cleaner. I just wanted to say "Thanks" to the guy that put that howto on this site. You really saved me some money not to mention making me feel an overwhelming feeling of accomplishment.:bowrofl:

Thanks Again, Lackej1971:rofl:

2old_honda
10-16-2005, 11:50 PM
:cool:

SteveDX89
10-17-2005, 02:45 AM
Glad to hear you got it fixed but buying a Hayne's manual 2 years ago would have given you the instructions for a valve adjustment then.

nswst8
10-17-2005, 04:06 AM
Glad to hear your excited.

Put a voltmeter on the battery before you start it and then again after its started (warmed up)

You should see 10 1/2 - 12 volts (not started) "good battery"

You should see 13 1/2 - 14 volts (running) "Good Alternator"

If you don't have the the approximate values this is a good start to finding your problem.

But from what you are describing I'll bet its your "alt" take it to Autozone and they will test it for you free of charge.