PDA

View Full Version : For Those Without Power Steering

Site
08-15-2002, 07:41 AM
I'd like to hear from people who have removed power steering. Do you miss it? I've taken the power steering pump out to see what kind of extra room it gives me in the engine bay. I drove the car around some, and my first impression is that once I'm at 15+ mph it doesn't make much of a difference - anything less, though, and I've gotta work some to turn the wheels.

smufguy
08-15-2002, 08:54 AM
well i dont have my pwr steering taken off. but this is what i gotta say. dont drain the system. let the fluid be in there and close the hoses off. ur steering needs lubrication. have fun.

jteuton
08-15-2002, 09:30 AM
i think ps fluid is like hydraulic fluid and helps force the steering into doing what you like so therefore it isn't really needed if you don't have the pump. But what the hell do i know? It sounds important to keep but i ditched mine months ago and haven't run into problems. Ditching the resevoir, cooler, and lines frees up a lot of space although I do think the rack will wear out faster. Anybody with opinons on this? Also I was worried about the speedo gear not getting lube from the lines that run into it but i think they are just for ps steering assist and the actual gear gets lube from the tranny. I would like to know for sure if somebody has it figured out.

smufguy
08-15-2002, 12:34 PM
its not to lubricate the sterring as such, its to lubricate the pwr aculator that gives the name "power steering" its for that unit and not for your steering.

and yes jteuton, u are right about your statement.

SiR
08-16-2002, 10:20 AM
I also disconnected the P/S. Its not bad at all, even with 17' rims. Sure its hard while in parking lots, but its a good work out for your arms. Not much power gain as i wished. The rack as given me no problems since i done this about over a year and a half ago.

Rooz

Site
08-16-2002, 10:31 AM
Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to keep the power steering pump out. I wasn't really thinking about power gain, but rather about making some room in the engine bay for something else. I'm removing the A/C compressor, too. That will give me some nice space, for sure :) Removing the two combined may give a slight power gain (probably not enough to notice, though).

A20A1
08-16-2002, 09:36 PM
I like no powersteering :D

mixmatch
08-16-2002, 10:07 PM
my rack leaks so when the fluid is low...it gets a little stiff

but when i put fluid in its a little to loose...i wish there was a way to reach a middle ground

A20A1
08-16-2002, 10:16 PM
use a lighter fuiid weight I think? but that may do more harm then good...

smufguy
08-17-2002, 02:27 PM
u gotta use the pwr steering fluid thats specified for honda alone. it should say that its honda approved to keep ur pump and crap working right. if not, ur screwed. and mike, we know u suck :flip:

jteuton
08-17-2002, 04:44 PM
Has anybody else discarded the fluid as well as the pump?

Site
08-17-2002, 05:05 PM
I've taken it all out. Hoses and everything at this point. The less crap in the way, the better. Why would you want open hoses doing nothing floating around the engine bay?

jteuton
08-18-2002, 12:26 PM
people have been talking about keeping it in too lube up the gears so they don't wear out. I ditched the resovior but capped the hoses off so alittle fluid could still be in the gears.......i dunno