PDA

View Full Version : I messed up my "TOE" -- suggestions please

visionguru
10-17-2005, 04:28 PM
My 89DX had alignment done 2 months ago. Recently, I have replaced both the front upper control arms and tire-rod ends.

Before the tire-rod ends replacement (with new UCAs), the car is pulling to the right (very very slightly).

After replacing the tire-rod ends, now the car is obviously pulling to the left. I have to hold the steering wheel to the right at about 5 degrees angle.

I did count the threads when replacing the tire-rod ends, but still messed up the toe setting. I don't want to do another alignment (it's about $70 here in Chicago). Is there any DIY method to adjust toe? Anywhere I can find a write-up regarding this?I need your help,
thanks.

88eyeguy
10-17-2005, 05:08 PM
The most effective way for you to set the toe is on an alignment rack.

it is possible to do it without the rack, but only if you have past experience doing it, and really know the suspension & steering system fairly well. i've done it twive in the past, and both times...well let's just say i need more practice. and i'm ASE certified in Steering & Suspension...

3G Jester
10-17-2005, 05:27 PM
buy a new cammel?

AZmike
10-17-2005, 05:43 PM
You can set is yourself reasonably well yourself, but it will probably take a real alignment to get it exactly right. Some places will change less if they only need to look at the front.

Here's a way to set the toe yourself:
Get a 1" x 2" and cut two sections each about 3' long. Find something 4-6" tall that you have two of (like a brick) and use them to hold the 1" x 2" sticks level above the ground sitting beside the outside sidewalls of both front tires with part of the stick on ahead of and behind the tire. Measure the distance between the sticks directly in front and behind the tires. Adjust the tie rods until the numbers match. This will not get the steering wheel centered (there is a similarly time consuming task if you're interested), but it will help your tires last.

3G Jester
10-17-2005, 07:13 PM
mike you should make that a faq/how to

adams86lxi
10-17-2005, 10:13 PM
My 89DX had alignment done 2 months ago. Recently, I have replaced both the front upper control arms and tire-rod ends.

Before the tire-rod ends replacement (with new UCAs), the car is pulling to the right (very very slightly).

After replacing the tire-rod ends, now the car is obviously pulling to the left. I have to hold the steering wheel to the right at about 5 degrees angle.

I did count the threads when replacing the tire-rod ends, but still messed up the toe setting. I don't want to do another alignment (it's about $70 here in Chicago). Is there any DIY method to adjust toe? Anywhere I can find a write-up regarding this?I need your help,
thanks.

just a thought but have you checked your tire pressures??? If one is different or you have 2 different types of tires then it will sometimes do what your describing..

88eyeguy
10-19-2005, 07:33 AM
You can set is yourself reasonably well yourself, but it will probably take a real alignment to get it exactly right. Some places will change less if they only need to look at the front.
Here's a way to set the toe yourself:
Get a 1" x 2" and cut two sections each about 3' long. Find something 4-6" tall that you have two of (like a brick) and use them to hold the 1" x 2" sticks level above the ground sitting beside the outside sidewalls of both front tires with part of the stick on ahead of and behind the tire. Measure the distance between the sticks directly in front and behind the tires. Adjust the tie rods until the numbers match. This will not get the steering wheel centered (there is a similarly time consuming task if you're interested), but it will help your tires last.

Wow, I just learned something new. That should definately be in a faq or how-to. Very informative.

visionguru
11-09-2005, 10:43 PM
Following the hints in this thread, I learned more about wheel alignment (adjusting toe-in and centering steering wheel). Now, my car has very accurate toe-in and very centered steering wheel. It's very simple to do.
Here are what I did:
(1) Adjusting Toe:
Tools needed:
2 long straight level (many choices at HomeDepot, you can easily return those within 90 days) like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/HDUS/EN_US/asset/images/eplus/015812081123_4.jpg
Tape measure
12mm & 16mm open end wrench.
Step 1: Measuring toe (need a helper)
Place the level against the tire, make sure the level is at the same height from the ground, and leveled (of course).
Using tape measure to measure the distances of both front side and back side of the front tires. You get an estimate of the toe.
For my car, the front side distance is 66 3/8", back side 66 6/8". So roughly, I have 3/8" toe-in (translates to toe in angle about 1.5 degrees).
Step 2: Adjusting toe
You don't need to jack up the car. If you want to adjust the left-front tie-rod, just turn the steering wheel all the way to the right. There should be enough room to access the tie-rod ends.
Use the 2 open end wrenches, loose the lock nut, and you can adjust the tie-rod length based on your measurement. After adjustment, tighten the lock nut. Be sure to mark the original postion and how much adjustment has been made.
Trial and error. You should be able to get really close (within 1/8") in no more than 3 tries. If the steering wheel is centered already, you may want to adjust exactly the same amount on both tie-rods, otherwise, you will have off-center steering wheel (which can be re-centered pretty much the same way).
(2) Centering steering wheel
If the steering wheel has to be turning to the right when going straight, then the right side tie-rod is longer than the left side. So you will need to shorten the right tie-rod while lengthening the left tie-rod by the EXACT same amount.
Again, no need to jack up the car, just turning the steering wheel to make room for the adjustment on the ground.
My car had a 4-wheel alignment job done 1 month ago. I replaced the tie-rod ends, and thus disturbed the toe-in setting and wheel centering. I was about to spend $69 (standard alignment price here in Chicago) to get another alignment. And then, after some research, I did both toe adjustment and wheel centering in 15minutes.

FyreDaug
11-17-2005, 01:03 PM
Very nice visionguru