PDA

View Full Version : need to know how to pull rear disks!!!

3G Jester
10-17-2005, 07:00 PM
i searched around and counldnt find anything that really answered my question in full......maybe it did....maybe im just scurred i wont get everything.

i jsut found a j/y with lots of 3geez. i havent made a full on inspection but if i find a set of rear disks...i will provide them to all of you guys who want them :) but i need to know EVERYTHING down to the damn bolt that i need to pull. diagrams would be great. maybe post a picture from paul's online shop manual and highlight everything. i just dont know the exact differences between the drum assy's and the disk assy's as far as what would be needed and whats already there. its been 3 years since i owned a 3g and i had a dx :)

thank you and hopefully ill be able to provide someone with a set!

86AccordLxi
10-17-2005, 07:22 PM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=11356

Look through there and see what you need. Also, don't forget the proportioning valve (it's by the battery and has six brake lines coming out of it) and the ebrake cables (driver's side is pretty straight forward--for the passenger side cable pull the heat shielding out and then it's easier to take out the cable).

Also, rather than pulling off the caliber and taking the rear knuckle and whatnot (or even pull apart the ball joint), it's easiest to just take the the whole rear susp with all the arms and everything.

Alex

3G Jester
10-17-2005, 07:26 PM
Look through there and see what you need. Also, don't forget the proportioning valve (it's by the battery and has six brake lines coming out of it) and the ebrake cables (driver's side is pretty straight forward--for the passenger side cable pull the heat shielding out and then it's easier to take out the cable).
Alex

muchos gracias alex :) that was what i was still mostly unclear about
ill take another look at the diagrams and see if it makes more sense.

86AccordLxi
10-17-2005, 07:28 PM
IM me if you need more help... I just pulled a set last weekend.

Alex

3G Jester
10-17-2005, 07:49 PM
ha. might be more of an immediate problem..like when im out there. not computer then. can i call you? maybe out for a date? ;)

bobafett
10-17-2005, 07:51 PM
also derek if u find some good clean 88-89 lxi brakes, 86-87 people like me will need them to upgrade (along with MC)... u should pull that shit and see how much it will cost to ship. would have to be a damn sturdy box, thats for sure. cause u need the whole front knuckle assembly. :) but lmk cause there does not seem to be many around here. :(

3G Jester
10-18-2005, 08:55 AM
what the difference? caliper pistons? the way honda mounted it all together?

bobafett
10-18-2005, 09:53 AM
the whole assembly is slightly different... dunno how or why. i just know u cant take the bigger/better calipers and rotors and bolt them to our 86-87 suspension knuckle. :(

i have never tired myself, this is just what i read...

3G Jester
10-18-2005, 11:27 AM
well i know there was a couple of lxi's and deffinatly some 88-89's cause walking around i saw some badges on the butt and some clear front bumper signals. ill try and find some good assy's. its a little bit of a drive so whats the cut off $$ for the assy's?
how much do they weigh?

bobafett
10-18-2005, 11:42 AM
dunno. im assuming they are really heavy.. i haev never weighed them myself. :(

3G Jester
10-18-2005, 11:44 AM
http://wwwapps.ups.com/calTimeCost?loc=en_US

from hampton va 23605 make an estemate and how much i can spend.

bobafett
10-18-2005, 11:54 AM
shipping to vancouver wa 98683, if its 50 lbs, in a 2' cube box is $63 lol. DAMN..

3G Jester
10-18-2005, 12:25 PM
soooo....do you want me to pull em? whats the max price i should pull em for

bobafett
10-18-2005, 12:50 PM
well hold off for now... there is a guy with a full sei setup, andim trying to score the frnots from that setup. if that falls thru i will get back to u

mkymonkey
01-28-2006, 11:40 PM
ok guys i kow this is a farely old thread but i tried clicking on the links but i got 404 errors. so uh... im actually going tomorrow to take some off an sei i found at my jy. well... can i have a play by play on what and how to remove this stuff? thanks in advance

remember you guys are my buddies...so please help! :D

Legend_master
01-29-2006, 12:21 AM
ok guys i know this is a fairly old thread but i tried clicking on the links but i got 404 errors. so uh... im actually going tomorrow to take some off an seii found at my jy. well... can i have a play by play on what and how to remove this stuff? thanks in advance

remember you guys are my buddies...so please help! :D

Remove and take the brakes lines (Metal and rubber).

Remove and take the ebrake cables

Remove the Upper ball joint bolt and separate the the control arm from the ball joint.

Remove the bolt that holds the lower control arm to the back of the hub.

Remove the 4 bolts that hold the hub to the Suspension arm.

Take the whole hub (attached to controle arm), brake lines, Ebrake cable, Caliper, disks, pads and any brakets that are attached to the brakes in the rear. Good luck and here is the only picture I have of the brakes out of the car.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Legend_Master/DSCF0038.jpg

mkymonkey
01-30-2006, 12:09 AM
cool dude thanks!

powderkey2
02-02-2006, 03:07 PM
will he also need to get the se-i proportioning valve? Guess the master cylinders are the same on the lx-i's and se-i's.

Hey...if you can...I need a proportioning valve, e-brake cables...i also need the hub assemblies but that might not be possible...let me know...glady pay for your time and parts...

I also just rebuild all 4 calipers...the kits are available

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=BAR&mfrpartnumber=0717722&parttype=223&ptset=A

Legend_master
02-02-2006, 03:43 PM
will he also need to get the se-i proportioning valve? Guess the master cylinders are the same on the lx-i's and se-i's.
Hey...if you can...I need a proportioning valve, e-brake cables...i also need the hub assemblies but that might not be possible...let me know...glady pay for your time and parts...
I also just rebuild all 4 calipers...the kits are available
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=BAR&mfrpartnumber=0717722&parttype=223&ptset=A

I am running the stock LX-i prop valve. The brakes work very well and are quit solid.

mkymonkey
02-02-2006, 03:45 PM
ok one more question. although i already pulled the brakes off... the car is still there and from what i can see the only thing missing is the gas tank and a few misc parts off the interior. so

what does a prop valve look like???

excuse the noobness

Legend_master
02-02-2006, 03:50 PM
ok one more question. although i already pulled the brakes off... the car is still there and from what i can see the only thing missing is the gas tank and a few misc parts off the interior. so

what does a prop valve look like???

excuse the noobness

It's on the passenger side of the engine bay

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Legend_Master/Propvalve.jpg

mkymonkey
02-02-2006, 03:54 PM
so its that thing with two lines coming off of it from the back and four lines from the front right? now why is this valve different than the lxi one?

Legend_master
02-02-2006, 03:57 PM
so its that thing with two lines coming off of it from the back and four lines from the front right? now why is this valve different than the lxi one?

Supposedly the drums don't need as much pressure as the disk so the lx-i valve dosent push the rear brakes as hard. I have been running the LX-i one and havent had any problems, but since you can get one from the J/Y I would do it.

mkymonkey
02-02-2006, 04:03 PM
ok last question...

im pretty sure the ebrake cables from a four door sei will not work on the 2dr lxi right? so where can i get new/used ebrake cables for my swap? and the lxi ones will not fit at all correct?

Legend_master
02-02-2006, 04:06 PM
ok last question...

im pretty sure the ebrake cables from a four door sei will not work on the 2dr lxi right? so where can i get new/used ebrake cables for my swap? and the lxi ones will not fit at all correct?

The LX-i will not fit, but I think the 4-dr sei will work you just tighten it up. Dont quote me on that last part though

mkymonkey
02-02-2006, 05:35 PM
ok so i better start looking for some sei coupe ebrake cables huh...anyone know where to start lol

powderkey2
02-02-2006, 06:20 PM
i'm not sure about the 4 dr vs. 2 dr cables being different...don't think there is one but I don't know the correct answer to that. But i priced out some at that website and they were like 60-75 bucks if i was looking at the right item.

I'm doing this same coversion for my kids car...you might be prepared to rebuild the calipers if they are questionable. I'm having to upgrade the front discs too...the lx are smaller than the lx-i's/sei's. That brings me to a question...there's ton's of lx-i's in the jy...can i use the front hub assembly off one of those? They are same as the se-i's correct?

I was getting the setup off a jy car and only got some of what i needed...when i went back to get the rest the car was gone...they sold it...arggghhh. But while i'm locating another sei i'm doing the calipers up right. Will have all 4 ready to go...new rubber...all polished parts...casing sandblasted and painted. I have exploded pics of the rear calipers if you need them for any reference

Also...i'm considering redoing the bearings while I have everything apart...I hope this is all worth it. Estimate that running about $50 bucks to have them pressed in.

Another tip...the online manual is very helpful. I'm not sure of the link but you can find it w/ a search.

mkymonkey
02-02-2006, 07:26 PM
see this is how all newbies should be! he searched, found the right info and even knows a lot more than i do. then i again i know nothing lol

you get my vote for newbie of the year powder!

Legend_master
02-02-2006, 08:41 PM
i'm not sure about the 4 dr vs. 2 dr cables being different...don't think there is one but I don't know the correct answer to that. But i priced out some at that website and they were like 60-75 bucks if i was looking at the right item.
I'm doing this same coversion for my kids car...you might be prepared to rebuild the calipers if they are questionable. I'm having to upgrade the front discs too...the lx are smaller than the lx-i's/sei's. That brings me to a question...there's ton's of lx-i's in the jy...can i use the front hub assembly off one of those? They are same as the se-i's correct?
I was getting the setup off a jy car and only got some of what i needed...when i went back to get the rest the car was gone...they sold it...arggghhh. But while i'm locating another sei i'm doing the calipers up right. Will have all 4 ready to go...new rubber...all polished parts...casing sandblasted and painted. I have exploded pics of the rear calipers if you need them for any reference
Also...i'm considering redoing the bearings while I have everything apart...I hope this is all worth it. Estimate that running about $50 bucks to havethem pressed in.
Another tip...the online manual is very helpful. I'm not sure of the link but you can find it w/ a search.

86-87 LX-I and 86-89 LX are the same size on the front disk. If you want bigger rotors you have to get front 88-89 LX-I hub assembly. If you do that you cannot use the 86-87 calipers with the 88-89 LXi hub assembly.

powderkey2
02-03-2006, 02:28 PM
check on the sizes...i was able to pull the front calipers from the se-i and have rebuilt them so i guess i can snag the hub assemble from an lx-i...that just leaves me the rear assembly,cables, proportioning valve...thanks.

Bglad420
02-03-2006, 02:33 PM
You can get all the parts for the swap direct from honda, so ant bits, and peices you need, you can get from them.

Legend_master
02-03-2006, 02:42 PM
check on the sizes...i was able to pull the front calipers from the se-i and have rebuilt them so i guess i can snag the hub assemble from an lx-i...that just leaves me the rear assembly,cables, proportioning valve...thanks.

Make sure it is an 88-89 LX-i that you grab from. Good luck