PDA

View Full Version : cigerette lighter not working. wheres the relay

lamontlamont
10-18-2005, 02:12 PM
Hello. i have a 1987 lx with a carb. since i bought this car the cigerette lighter never worked. i downloaded the shop manual for this car and it said that there is a cig lighter relay behind the glove box but when i was replacing my blower motor i couldnt find it. When i was installing my radio i checked to see if the wires that go to the cig lighter socket were working and they werent working at all. Can somebody help me out. where is the relay? I need the outlet to charge my phone.

Mac
10-18-2005, 02:57 PM
There is no relay that I know of for the cigarette lighter. But there is a fuse in the under the hood fuse panel. Check fuse #13 it is a 15 amp fuse.

lamontlamont
10-18-2005, 08:10 PM
i checked the #13 and it says interior light and its good. i have checked all of my fuses and they are all good. there must be some kind of protection for the cig lighter. i looked in the manual and it said there is a relay and it showed how to test the relay. they show it as being behind the glove box in the repair manual.

Mac
10-19-2005, 03:24 PM
Yep that's the same fuse. Since the fuse is good, maybe it is the cigarette lighter. Did you try to plug something else (radar detector) in and see if that works?

shepherd79
10-19-2005, 04:42 PM
Like guys said, there are no relays for it.
you may want to check courtesy lights, trunk/tailgate light, dome light, and ignition key light. if they don't work, than something is wrong with your wirring. all those things are on the same fuse #13 in fuse box under the hood.

lamontlamont
10-20-2005, 04:52 AM
according to the repair manual it does have a relay, i have posted a pic. I will just run a wire from the cig lighter socket to the fuse if i cant find it.http://http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/7093/relaydash2js.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

snow_man_20
10-20-2005, 05:43 AM
good find

lamontlamont
10-20-2005, 02:10 PM
im from New Jersey, USA. I just noticed that a lot of you are from canada. I dont know if i have a kq model i will have to look into that. I do know that i have a 4dr lx with a carb.

POS carb
10-20-2005, 02:58 PM
the US model does NOT have that relay, I guarantee it
that manual has a few things that are different, like the illumination control and the ignition key light timer, ours are different. The wire colors are mostly the same.
If you do not have power at that cigarette lighter you need to check the fuses and if they're good make sure all your interior lights work before seaching for a break in the wire. Either way, it just hooks up to constant power 12V so running a new wire may be the easiest solution

lamontlamont
10-22-2005, 02:12 PM
I FIXED THE PROBLEM. Turns out it was a break between the circular barrel connector and a thin copper strip they use to connect it to the wire. this stuff is all inside the white connector on the back of the lighter plug. it was spot soldered onto the thin copper strip but the solder broke. i just soldered it back and now it works. thanks.

nskforlife
02-05-2007, 03:23 PM
i'm having to rewire mine. tried replacing it and all it did was break more. , i'm gonna rerun the wire and rig it up. but my one question is, there are 2 connectors that it takes. power and ground. is the wire in the back the power or the ground???

jschatte
02-05-2007, 03:28 PM
umm thanks for digging up an old thread :)

and the black is ground.

if you want to fix it completely, just buy a new cigarette lighter socket for about 5$. Thats what i did casue mine was so rusted and bent up it didnt work.

nskforlife
02-05-2007, 07:23 PM
ya, i'm rewiring it, the wires were stripped from me trying to rig it. so i gotta do it the hard ( but right) way... and youre welcome... thanks for ensuring me the black is groung. now all i have to do is make a 6 inch harness for them and viola!

POS carb
02-06-2007, 02:34 PM
lol @ gravedigging but that means he used the search!!!
:bow:

the rear center pin takes the 12v+, the negative connects to the side (the body of the assembly)

LX-incredible
02-06-2007, 02:48 PM
That soldered copper strip in the plug is a heat overload. If something falls in there it will overheat and melt the solder, causing the strip to bend back and break the connection. I would make sure that it has a good gap in between it, take it out of the plastic connector and re-solder it. Just make sure you don't use too much solder.