PDA

View Full Version : Spark test?

Phi.Rus
10-18-2005, 07:22 PM
I am having some engine troubles that I have already posted about...my buddy thinks that it could be the sparkplug wires. So he says that we should start the car, then remove a spark plug (while the car is still on) and touch it to the frame to see if there is any spark. I think he is bsing me. I don't know if I should try this, because if you took a spark plug out, wouldnt that particular cylinder just stop? would it damage the engine?

NastyNate
10-18-2005, 07:32 PM
no that is one way "the old way" you can now get a spark plug/wire tester now! i know i have a place called harbor fraight near me and they sell it but sears and napa also have them i think only 5-10$ or so but handy to have sometimes.

but no he is not bsing you you can test them that way and also get the sh** shoked outa you!

and no the engine will not cut off as lond as your timing isn't off or you have more than one unpluged or there is a bad wire/plug!

Mars
10-18-2005, 08:56 PM
yeah, i got shocked by the coil once, arm went numb for about half an hour.

LiTtLe xOx BitT
10-19-2005, 01:26 AM
Definatly buy the tester. And you just have to love harbor freight.

Phi.Rus
10-20-2005, 07:24 AM
Thanks SOO much guys, I was hoping there was a better way. Thanks for the help.

88Accord-DX
10-20-2005, 07:30 AM
To use the tester you just plug it up to your spark plug wire, scew it out to your gap size or about 1/4" & ground the end with the clamp. Works great!

spanky
10-20-2005, 12:09 PM
I am having some engine troubles that I have already posted about...my buddy thinks that it could be the sparkplug wires. So he says that we should start the car, then remove a spark plug (while the car is still on) and touch it to the frame to see if there is any spark. I think he is bsing me. I don't know if I should try this, because if you took a spark plug out, wouldnt that particular cylinder just stop? would it damage the engine?

i do it kinda like this way but i first take the plug out and arc it against the block. then you have a friend turn the car over (NOT START) and if u see spark then u have spark to that plug then u just do it for every plug.

if you dont understand heres how to arc it onto the block.
1) take the wire off the plug and unscrew the plug
2) put the end of the plug on the wire and press it against the valve cover.
3) have a freind turn it over and it should arc it onto the block.
4) screw back in and put wire back on
5) do this to everyplug.

good luck

Phi.Rus
10-20-2005, 02:28 PM
yea...gonna try this out this weekend when i get the new battery in it...thanks alot.

joebeets
10-20-2005, 03:33 PM
Don't bother with a tester, just buy a new plug. Ground it with a jumper wire with alligator clips ends. You do *not* want to get shocked.