PDA

View Full Version : intake sensor?

cody509
10-18-2005, 10:05 PM
ok, well ive seen most of you guys some how hook up the stock sensor that connects to the stock intake with 2 small philips screws, wether it be drilling a hole in it or putting it into one of the nipples on the cold air tube....
just curious....since we have really bare minimum, first of the kind, "computers" in our motors...is this piece even necessary? does it in any way control the mixture, or anything for that matter? i searched but havent really come across this question.
just curious because i basically took the mesh cover off the carb, made it air tight around the bottom, and basically just replaced the mesh with some filter element i got from a cone intake i cut apart :rolleyes: , this making it pretty much impossible to connect that sensor to...well...anything.
i drove it around, the suction is brutal! sounds like the spool up on a leaky turbo almost, thats how loud it is. sounds real hot roddish :lol:
it seems to have a lot more high end power and didnt lose any low end torque like a lot of people said might happen.
:rice:

FyreDaug
10-19-2005, 10:19 AM
You should probably have it in if you live in colder climates. I think all it does is sense how cold the air is coming in and change resistance. It MIGHT control some sort of mixture, but I know with mine out, I would idle higher than I would with it in the tube, and I couldnt kick it down as easy.

It does do something...

POS carb
10-20-2005, 08:25 AM
in California and Florida (where my car has been) that sensor hasn't made a bit of difference... it could just be that my sensor has been shot for a long time tho...
either way I could run my car w/out O2 sensor or intake temp sensor without any noticable effects, probably screws you up on the emmissions testing though.

cody509
10-20-2005, 04:13 PM
in California and Florida (where my car has been) that sensor hasn't made a bit of difference... it could just be that my sensor has been shot for a long time tho...
either way I could run my car w/out O2 sensor or intake temp sensor without any noticable effects, probably screws you up on the emmissions testing though.

heh, not like i've done anything else to affect emissions yet :dunno:

i dont run an 02 sensor either, is that all the sensor is is for temp? im sure the air around the engine bay is pretty much the same as the air being sucked into the carb anyways, ill just leave it dangling there :lol:

:werd: