PDA

View Full Version : replacing front lower control arm bushings

lamontlamont
10-19-2005, 06:18 AM
i bought a set of control arm bushings because mine are sqeaking like crazy and the alignment shop said they cant align my car til i replace them. my question is how do i remove the old ones. the new ones come in a metal sleeve. do i have to remove the old metal sleeve or just the rubber.

i already have the control arm off of the car.

SteveDX89
10-19-2005, 08:28 AM
You need a press to get them out. Take the arms to a Napa machine shop. They'll do it for a fee.

Oldblueaccord
10-21-2005, 12:22 AM
Probably have to burn them out with a torch. I couldn't get our 10 ton press to push them out and there hard to jig up anyway. Its worth a try but in the end burn those babies.

wp

SteveDX89
10-21-2005, 02:42 AM
Probably have to burn them out with a torch. I couldn't get our 10 ton press to push them out and there hard to jig up anyway. Its worth a try but in the end burn those babies.
wp

The new ones don't just drop in. They need to be pressed in. So if it's the same fee, why bother trying to get the old ones out? It took the dude at Napa 4 hours to do mine cause they were so hard to press out and it cost me the same as if it had taken 10 minutes.

lamontlamont
10-21-2005, 03:20 AM
from what i heard you can just burn out the rubber and the new ones are designed to be pressed in with the old metal sleeve still in there. I think im just going to buy two new control arms. i saw them for $51 online.

POS carb
10-21-2005, 07:43 AM
use a socket and a heavy hammer, I don't know what size, just try and match it to or just under the sleeve size.
Or yea find a machine shop

kcaudill
10-21-2005, 09:08 AM
from what i heard you can just burn out the rubber and the new ones are designed to be pressed in with the old metal sleeve still in there. I think im just going to buy two new control arms. i saw them for $51 online.
Where did you find them for that price?

lamontlamont
10-21-2005, 01:41 PM
the $51 price is from this web site. http://www.aaawebcarparts.com/epcksoap.epc?action=Search&cookieID=1M30LZE9C1M30LZMCJ&drillid=7&subcatid=803449@@Front+Control+Arm&clientid=aaawebcarparts

cardoc33
10-21-2005, 02:55 PM
Check my website

Oldblueaccord
10-21-2005, 03:29 PM
Sweet prices dude.

I'm looking to put sperical bearings in my arms. I think there on the Progress web-site for civics. Can you do anything for us? Im talking front and rear bushings.

wp

Oldblueaccord
10-21-2005, 03:31 PM

Yes thats my thinking also. I didnt even try to get the sleeve out it need a chisel at the very least.

wp

cardoc33
10-21-2005, 03:37 PM
Sorry, if you want bearings, you will have to mod it yourself.
OK, I don't recommend bearings for the street, but if this will be a track car ONLY, go right ahead.
For the street, try polyurathane. I could do the mod for you, but it wont be cheap. If their are enough people interested, I could mod a batch of new front arms. I figure about $215.00 for both arms plus shipping.
PM me

Oldblueaccord
10-21-2005, 04:27 PM
Sorry, if you want bearings, you will have to mod it yourself.
OK, I don't recommend bearings for the street, but if this will be a track car ONLY, go right ahead.
For the street, try polyurathane. I could do the mod for you, but it wont be cheap. If their are enough people interested, I could mod a batch of new front arms. I figure about $215.00 for both arms plus shipping.
PM me

with the bearing mod?

Poly I could do myself I'm a machinist.

wp

mcwille117
10-23-2005, 03:30 PM
so there is no was to replace that bushing without removing the control arm??

Ludi Mali
10-24-2005, 05:46 AM
I just did it a couple weeks ago without taking the arm out. You have to burn out the rubber with a torch and then cut the outer metal sleeve and fold it in a bit so you can take it out, I used a reciprocating saw. The new bushing wont fit in there unless you take the old sleeve out. Easiest way to put the new one in while the control arm is still on the car is get a block of dry ice in a cooler and freeze the shit out of the new bushing to shrink it a bit. then oil it up and use a good C-clamp to press it in.

lamontlamont
10-24-2005, 01:55 PM
I just did it a couple weeks ago without taking the arm out. You have to burn out the rubber with a torch and then cut the outer metal sleeve and fold it in a bit so you can take it out, I used a reciprocating saw. The new bushing wont fit in there unless you take the old sleeve out. Easiest way to put the new one in while the control arm is still on the car is get a block of dry ice in a cooler and freeze the shit out of the new bushing to shrink it a bit. then oil it up and use a good C-clamp to press it in.

yeah that sounds like a good idea. i actually have a third control arm i will do that first since it is already off the car. i have had them off the car before and its not that hard to take em off. i figure i will freeze the bushings and then torch the arm. the bushing will shrink and the arm will expand then i will grease it . thanks.