PDA

View Full Version : Special tool source

garyft
10-19-2005, 08:02 PM
I have an 89 LX with the A20 engine and I'm trying to locate the tool to hold the crank pulley. Anyone know of a source?

88Accord-DX
10-20-2005, 07:11 AM
Might try calling your local Honda dealer if want that tool.
If your trying to break the crankshaft bolt loose, there are different techniques. You can take the starter off & wedge something like a screwdriver to hold the flywheel. On a manual, you can wedge a screwdriver on the top through the peep hole... Lots of air flow through an impact gun works also.
You can put some heat to the bolt too with small propane torch. Don't get it too hot though or you can fuck your crankshaft up &/or break the bolt off in it.

People do it different ways. I used 3/4" extentions past the fender well on top of 4x4 blocks to break it loose, car was in gear & big blocks behind the wheels to keep it from moving. Little on the extreme side, after one broken socket later.

logic
10-20-2005, 10:00 AM
Might try calling your local Honda dealer if want that tool.
If your trying to break the crankshaft bolt loose, there are different techniques. You can take the starter off & wedge something like a screwdriver to hold the flywheel. Lots on air on a impact gun works.
You can put some heat to the bolt too with small propane torch. People do it different ways. I used 3/4" extentions past the fender well on top of 4x4 blocks to break it loose, car was in gear & big blocks behind the wheels to keep it from moving. Little on the extreme side, after one broken socket later.
I took mine to NAPA and their huge 1 1/2 inch drive impact took close to five minutes of pounding on it before it finally broke loose so I don't think any normal impact would work... now I remove the bottom cross brace and the cover over the bottom of the torqe converter and wedge a prybar into one tooth as it goes into the bell housing then break it loose. Also after you finally break it loose, if you have a problem with it coming out on it's own, beat the threads in the bolt on the half towards the head (so you can start it easilly, but will stick when fully screwed in) one hit on each of three sides, and put it back in. My old '82 kept falling out after I finally got it out and I tried everything, nothing worked untill I got P.O.'d and finally took a hammer to it!!!

Swap_File
10-20-2005, 10:06 AM
My crank pulley bolt became loose by itself while driving, and then when I tightend back to spec. it it snapped off. When I replaced it, I used a chain vice grip on the Air Conditioner belt location (not currently in use) to hold it.

http://img438.imageshack.us/img438/484/chainone7co.jpg

It didn't seem to damange the pulley.

thegreatdane
10-20-2005, 10:32 AM
[QUOTE=logic]I took mine to NAPA and their huge 1 1/2 inch drive impact took close to five minutes of pounding on it before it finally broke loose so I don't think any normal impact would work... [QUOTE]

Either their impact gun or air compressor sucked ass or someone tightened your pulley bolt way too much. A good 1/2 inch drive impact gun should normally do the job good.

lamontlamont
10-20-2005, 05:22 PM
It is the easiest to do it with what is called a bicycle lock ring tool. you simply put the tip of the tool into the hole on the pulley and let it wedge into the frame of the car, you can then put a breaker bar on the nut and stomp down on the breaker bar with your foot. it will pop loose instantly. I have done this twice with ease, once on my car and once on my freinds car. this beats any other way hands down.
the one i use is made by park tools, i use the parks because i already owned it since i built bicycles for a living. hozan makes an even better one with hooks on both ends in case one breaks. they go for about 15 dollars but they are worth it. Please make sure you soak everything with penetrating oil first.
Also. the best way to change this belt is to mark the belt and pulleys with white out on both the old rubber belt and the pulley tooth. then transfer the marks from the old belt to the new belt . last you just line the marks up on the new belt with the gear teeth according to the marks on them. I used this method and i did the timing belt change in less than 1hr from start to finish because i didnt have to rotate the crank or check anything. good luck.
ps,i wouldntput a screw driver in that hole in the pulley, i tried that and it will just bend. i wouldnt remove the starter because thats too much work and i dont want to jam anything into the engine u might break something.

http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/5724/1129482668407hozanhookspannerd.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

88Accord-DX
10-21-2005, 04:58 AM
Schwinn & Huffy crankshaft pulley holder tool. I'm getting a patent on that before anyone does. J/K