PDA

View Full Version : What is this mod?

3rdgenhatchDX
10-20-2005, 06:19 AM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a116/3rdgenhatchdx/921a963b.jpg
It's just i see it everywhere and i wanna know what all has to be done to do it and why its done so often.

88Accord-DX
10-20-2005, 06:42 AM
Edit; Blow-by gas air filter that works with the positive crankshaft ventilation.

Agree with lostforawhile now.

Deadhead
10-20-2005, 06:43 AM
what? the air breather for the valve cover?

lol, go to autozone and you can buy one for like 4 bucks, and just put it on there. They do that so they don't have to feed a tube from the CAI pipe to the valve cover.

sideways_LX-i
10-20-2005, 07:03 AM
LMAO wow that wasnt even a newbie 3g question it was a total newbie car question, yeah its more for looks then anything though cause they are illegal in CA and dont really give any horepower anyways , i doubt youd see even 1hp on a dyno lol, i actually used to have 2 of them in my engine compartment, one on the valve cover and one on the old hole on the intake lol its was funny but eh why not they are like a few bucks :lol:

spanky
10-20-2005, 12:14 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a116/3rdgenhatchdx/921a963b.jpg
It's just i see it everywhere and i wanna know what all has to be done to do it and why its done so often.

look on the CAI there is a lil round bung welded on it and there should be a hose connected from it to the valve cover but they just threw a breather on.

bobafett
10-20-2005, 12:38 PM
if you have one of those on the valve cover it will eventually get coated with oil. the best thing to do is install an oil catch can from that spot. also, if you dont have this line running back into your intake system (as it does on a stock setup) why on earth would you buy another breather for it on the intake pipe, its already getting filtered air!!! just cap it... geez?

the point of modding that system IMO is to install an oil catch can, so that your not dumping oil vapors back into the intake to reburn. :) if you just put a breather on the valve cover its not going to do anything useful. it shouldnt gain you any HP whatsoever... :)

FyreDaug
10-20-2005, 12:41 PM
it shouldnt gain you any HP whatsoever...

Well its just cleaner air, so yeah I dont think ANY gains whatsoever are possible from it. Its better for the inside of the engine not to have to reburn all that oily crap. Doesnt make difference either way, but personally I'd prefer a breather (except the shitty cheap ass APC one I had fell apart and now theres no filter left)

NastyNate
10-20-2005, 12:44 PM
i had to put one on my 94 accord becouse i think the guy sold me the wrong intake and i didn't have anyway to conect the line. but ya its mainly for looks and bad thing is they realy don't look good if you have V-tech the damn thing gets full of oil in a matter of min.s

bobafett
10-20-2005, 12:50 PM
Oil Catch Can!!!!! :)

lostforawhile
10-21-2005, 12:39 PM
it's just a breather,it keeps dirty air from being pulled through your engine from the pcv system