PDA

View Full Version : I just took my car in for a suspension check...

Longevity
08-15-2002, 12:31 PM
because after all this talks about ball joint and tie rod breaking when you are driving is kinda scary. Well, it turns out that my car's ball joint and tie rod is fine. However, my wheel bearing isn't. The LF, LR and RR wheel bearing hub are loose and have some play in them and need to be replace. Also the half-shaft make noise when you turn to the right. An estimate for all this repair came up to $950.

Man, I have already spend a lot of money repairing my car already. It's starting to become my money pit. Right now, I'm kind of hesitant to drop another Grand to have the suspension fix. Do you guys think it is dangerous to be driving around with bad wheel bearing? What should I do? Do you think it's worth dropping 1 Grand to have it fix? Thanks for your suggestion.

YK86
08-15-2002, 01:32 PM
I would highly suggest you do the work yourself if possible. You can cut the cost by quite a bit. The parts should be like $200 while you can pay a shop to take out and press in the new bearing for very cheap (just bring in the hub and new bearings). Probably takes like 15 minutes. The axle is a bit more work but since you'll have the front hub out anyways, it won't be that much extra work.

Longevity
08-15-2002, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the reply YK86. I would like to do the work myself too but I never did any suspension work before so I'm afraid I don't the skill to do it. Also, I don't have any tools that I can work with, I believe that you need a "slide hammer" to remove the bearing.

So I probably just get the hub and bearing myself and pay the labor for a shop to do it. Do you know where I can order the hub and wheel bearing from? The dealership at Honda seem to charge and arm and a leg for it.

ACCORD EX
08-15-2002, 03:26 PM
does the car sounds loud @ 60 mph or higher ! if not ! you can still drive with these bearings ! :)

MIKE

Longevity
08-15-2002, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX
does the car sounds loud @ 60 mph or higher ! if not ! you can still drive with these bearings ! :)

MIKE

I don't know about 60mph or higher, but at low speed now, say around 30mph, I can start to hear some screeching sound from the rear wheel with all the windows roll down. Until it get fix, my temporary solution would be to crank up the stereo :D to drown out the screeching noise and not take my on car on the freeway anymore.

YK86
08-15-2002, 06:19 PM
It's definetly time to change it. You could invest in some tools (maybe like $150-$200 worth or something) and do it yourself. You would still save $400. Buy a Haynes manual or download the factory manual from Paulaerodeck's page and use that as a guide. Just make sure you install everything in the right order and to torque it properly.

jigga225
08-15-2002, 08:15 PM
yeah man you should try your best and get the Haynes manual and do the labor yourself.
Shops will try to rape you man.
I learned when they charged me $75 to get my "flywheel turned ".
Trhey wanted 400 to drop it.
Therefore, I had to get down dirty and do the work myself. I'm glad I did because now I know more about the car and have more confidence on doing more stuff.

Longevity
08-15-2002, 10:51 PM
$950 is just too hard of a pill for me to swallow right now. Maybe I am definitely going to do it on my own. I just purchased a Haynes manual from Pep Boys and also find out that they have tools that you can rent. I'm currently looking into that and reviewing the manual now. Maybe things will turn out all right after all.