PDA

View Full Version : Best wax?

acco-R-d
10-20-2005, 03:54 PM
i have only used turtle wax on my car, but its that time of year to wax my car, and i would like to buy a wax that makes the paint very shiny and still protects the paint(trying to preserve my clear coat which is in perfect condition) for about 3-4 months. What brand and product have yall used that has a amazing outcome?

3G Jester
10-20-2005, 03:59 PM
what i use. basically the #1 wax- u can buy it at wal-mart, autozone, anywhere---this is just what it looks like. i use the gold class wax. never used a spray...
http://www.autobarn.net/megcarcarpro.html

this is the stuff the navy and the military puts on its radar dishes and stuff to keep them clear. its supposed to be THE shit. but i dunno sounds to permanent.
http://www.5starshine.com/

acco-R-d
10-20-2005, 04:11 PM
http://www.autobarn.net/menxtgetewax.html
what about this one^....its a little pricer though

3G Jester
10-20-2005, 04:42 PM
never tried it...but its meguiar's so its gonna be good. personaly i prefer to use wax and terry cloth towels. takes me hours to clean and wax my car but i feel damned good afterwards and she looks better then any spray probably. you really get to buff the wax into the paint with wax...help smooth and polish it. if you dont know how to use wax find a friend who can teach you. my dad showed me. thats the only thing he ever showed me about a car. he knows nothing. im the only one in the family who works on cars

acco-R-d
10-20-2005, 05:04 PM
yeah, the sprayes just don't cut it caus eyour really not getting friction to buff, shine, and clean surface w/.

epic1400cs
10-21-2005, 12:45 AM
I have been using AUTOGLYM Super Resin Polish since last year and it holds shine quite long time than other wax I used before. Bonnet and roof are okay for 3 months and side panels definately keeps 6 month. Also my local spray shop guy recommended Meguiars wax. He said if I want to keep the wax long time, don't use detergent to wash the car - just use water and wash more often or use good car wash shampoo. Detergent like dish washing liquid removes wax gradually. When I was a taxi driver before in Tokyo, also we washed the cab with hose water and use detergent only on tyres/wheels.

lamontlamont
10-21-2005, 01:57 PM
years ago consumer reports did a comparison of car waxes and the winner actually isnt a wax. the winner was nufinish. they say it is better because you can apply it on a hot car in the sun with no problems and it lasted the longest through rain etc.. i like to nu finish my car twice a year, then i use turtle zip wax in between after car washes. I suggest you spray armour all on your tires then wipe it off with a damp cloth, this gives it a true new tire look not that glazed donut look that i cant stand. i spray my bumpers (dx bumpers on a lx) with armour all and i dont wipe i just saturate the bumpers and mud flaps and let the armour all dry. same with the mirrors.

acco-R-d
10-21-2005, 03:48 PM
between Mothers and meguiars, which product is better, and by better i mean teh shineist and long lasting, in yalls opinion?

3G Jester
10-21-2005, 06:02 PM
never tried mothers.
this is great though:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid191/p9fcdb83eb60003ca9ed826f789a29897/f1ca954b.jpg

acco-R-d
10-22-2005, 07:27 AM
lmao^

88eyeguy
10-22-2005, 11:02 AM
from my experience, meguiars. mothers makes some excellent products, though.

w00tw00t111
10-23-2005, 10:12 AM
The meguirs NXT wax is really really good. But, if y'all are serious about waxing/buffing/and polishing then you need to take a step up from the consumer crap and start buying what the pros use. Meguirs and mothers make them but, when you go to buy them go to a auto paint supply store. The #1 yellow carnuba wax is the best buy be prepared to spend quite a bit of money. It's all dependent on how good of a shine you want. I personally wash my car 3 times a week. It's just one of those things that's really really important to me. The one thing that I have not found yet is a vinyl polish that I'm happy with. I've tried a bunch of different products but I don't like the look and feel that they leave. Usually they're shiny which I like but, when you touch them they leave a residue which is no good.

88eyeguy
10-23-2005, 06:16 PM
The #1 yellow carnuba wax is the best buy be prepared to spend quite a bit of money.

You, my friend, have discovered the holy grail paint protection. The professional grade waxes, paint cleaners, and so on and so forth, are the best products out there. The High-Tech yellow wax is my personal favorite, but the carnuba is really good stuff too. I also use the Fine-cut Paint Cleaner for swirls and oxidation (though you shouldn't use it too repeatedly on the same car).

Blue Impact
10-25-2005, 01:12 AM
I've heard a lot of positive things about Mothers products, but I've never tried them before.

However, I use Meguiar's Gold Class Clear Coat PASTE Wax and I like it a lot. It's easy to apply and clean up and the end result is outstanding. It comes in a box just like the one pictured, except it doesn't say LIQUID on it.

http://store1.yimg.com/I/rodi_1864_1595757

TRU Accord 1
10-25-2005, 09:16 AM
I use ALL Meguiars products, on my 3g and rain-x on my windows. It only takes me about 20 mins to wash and dry my Accord. And it makes it a lot better to see in when I'm driving in the rain the water just rolls right off.:rice:

w00tw00t111
10-25-2005, 11:31 AM
You, my friend, have discovered the holy grail paint protection. The professional grade waxes, paint cleaners, and so on and so forth, are the best products out there. The High-Tech yellow wax is my personal favorite, but the carnuba is really good stuff too. I also use the Fine-cut Paint Cleaner for swirls and oxidation (though you shouldn't use it too repeatedly on the same car).
I totally agree. It kinda makes me laugh when I think about it because I use to always use the meguires Gold Class wax. Then when I started painting Computer Cases and buying Automotive Grade Paint at an auto paint supply store I decided to buy the proffesional wax. It's unbelivable!! The paint gains so much depth even though you can still see the scratches *if you haven't restored your clear coat of course* but it sure does increase the depth. In June I decided to use Rubbing compound, polishing compound, and wax all around my dad's Acura 3.5 RL and ever since I did that the paint literally feels like glass as well as having the water just bead and roll off. When ever I wash the car I can take a squeege and just "push" the water off the car and dry what's left. The trunk has induced scratches because my mom refuses to put her grociers and purse on the cement so I'm thinking about using some 2000grit wet sand paper and then buff them all out. It's dissappointing to walk around the car and not find any paint flaws and then get to the trunk and see them.

88eyeguy
10-25-2005, 06:39 PM
i remember the thread about that. yeah, the long term results are amazing for this stuff. be extremely careful with that sandpaper, though. are the scratches just in the clearcoat, or are they in the paint as well. if the former, then just a wet-sand and a followup of some polishing compound maybe 12-24 hours later.

if they affected the paint too, well...wet-sand, then very lightly apply meguiars FINE-CUT paint cleaner about 4 hrs later. follow up the next day with the polishing compound, polish, and wax. that's helped me before, but it takes practice and patience to get right. maybe try it on a test panel or somewhere unnoticeable first. anywho, good luck.

86-accord-lxi
10-26-2005, 09:13 AM
I have had good luck by using meguiars cleaner wax followed
by a coat of meguiars gold class.:)