PDA

View Full Version : Hope for the F22 ppl

KaMiKaZeE
08-15-2002, 01:08 PM
I am new here 'cause I recently picked up an '87 Accord Hatch at a police auction for US$540.00. Anyway it needs a new tranny (it is automatic currently) and I immediately started researching engine swaps. I have concluded that despite the consistent punks I have seen here on the f22, it is the best budget-tech go fast choice. Here's why:

The ppl who say it is a waste of time are just thinking in terms of stock hp, not potential hp. The f22 is a perfect choice for anyone planning on more than mild boost because it is basically an h22 with boost-friendly 8.8:1 compression already installed. Also, it is minus the VTEC head, both of which are bad for N/A cars, but perfect for 15+ pounds of boost (I'm not KaMiKaZeE for nothing, after all.) To make an h22 see these levels reliably would take an expensive boost prep engine rework to lower the compression to a boostable level and ensure the VTEC switch doesn't detonate the engine. The F22B1 would actually be a good drive as you save project since even in it's N/A form its 145hp are a substantial increase over our anemic stock engines. Also, according to one of my sources there are several f22's doing quite well in the pro drag comps. It does take a bit more to install than your average b16 because of the mount locations, however it can be done, most machine shops will make you the neccesary mounts for around $200, and for the great performance potential it is well worth it I say. Thoughts? Questions? Comments? Flames?

mixmatch
08-15-2002, 02:50 PM
ok 2 problems

1. the f22 wont fit in our cars unless u make totally custom mounts just like u would have to for a h22

2. if u r going thru all that trouble, why not go for glory and get the h22...sure it might take a little more work to take boost higher than 8psi but its well worth the power when u r not boosting

an h22 can withstand more boost than a f22 if done properly, i believe both have to b resleeved if u want over 8psi

shepherd79
08-15-2002, 03:43 PM
i think H22 has better block for turbo power.
F22 will need a lot of work to be done to get to the level wher it can be safely operated at 15+ pounds of boost.
what kind HP do you want to get? at the wheels.
if you want something around 270Hp at the wheels go with B16 and Vortech supercharger. B16 will bolt in a little easier. there are mounting brakets available for that block.
I don't think anyone has mounting brakets for H22 for our cars.
so think what kind power you want, howmuch money you want to spend and from there you can start doing some work.

My 89 Accord Lxi
08-15-2002, 03:51 PM
Good Point Shepard

pric
08-15-2002, 05:46 PM
$200 for mounts HAHAHAHA that is funny maybe just one mount. If you can get mounts for $200 you might want to think about starting your own business and selling them.

KaMiKaZeE don't take my post the wrong way. If it is what you want to do more power too ya. I mean an F22B turbo boosted way up would be cool especially if your doing it in a 3rd gen accord. However, the F22B and H22A have nothing in common other than there displacment. The H22A has a larger bore plus larger valves not to mention a better head design and the pistons stock are also better than the F22B. Now I know the F22B comes with 8.8 comp. but those stock pistons will not hold up to 15+ lbs. of boost for long. Yes the F22B is cheaper than the H22A but after you factor in the cost of a turbo set up and changing the internals to handle the increase of boost. Your no longer cheaper than the H22A. Plus 15 lbs. of boost on the F22B may get you to 260hp at the FLYWHEEL.

However if your talking about some serious BOOST like 20+ I would have to agree with you. Because once you do the internals and with the right turbo set up it would be cheaper than the H22A. You will have to go higher the 15 to balance out the power output compared to the price to get you above what the H22A can get you with the same price.

I have a friend who has a 00 lude with a JRSC with 8lb. pully dynoed it at 296hp & 242ft/lbs. at the WHEELS with stock internals.

KaMiKaZeE
08-15-2002, 08:25 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I don't know a terrible amount abt the exact builds of various honda blocks yet, I was assuming the blocks were the same since they have the same mounts and are both 2.2L. didn't know their boreXstrokes were different. Which has a longer stroke/smaller bore? also, why do you say 8.8:1 f22 pistons wont hold? generally the weak point in boosted engines is the rod bolts isn't it? sometimes rings?

P.P. does anyone think 15+ psi will give me a LITTLE more than 260H.P. at the FLYWHEEL? I was hoping for at least 300.

night
08-15-2002, 08:55 PM
the H23 is the better turbo motor.

but a bone stock H22 can give put you in the 13's.
everyone only thinks about the cool factor of a turbo without really considering the end result.
it is not hard to make a car fast as hell with a simple 1.8 or 2 liter NA build. i dont mention the B16 only cuz *we* wouldnt like its lack of low torque. not because it cant kick ass.

anyway. the H/F series will not go into our cars easy. you would spend at least as much for putting it in as you would buying the complete engine. all mounts are custom, axles custom, fender have to be trimed, new front springs to rebalance it, etc.

i am gonna put a B in mine for ~300. mounts and axles.

Vanilla Sky
08-15-2002, 09:00 PM
come on... it's not that hard... not fender trimming and such... but the swap could run upward of $10,000 doing the work yourself if you aren't careful(like me, wanting to rebuild before i implant it)

a b series would be better unless you just have your heart bent on the h or f series... i'd say a teg GSR b18 would kick major ass in our cars, and would be more cost efficient (even though the motor is more)

Derick

upstateaccord
08-18-2002, 08:59 PM
night..where are you getting mounts and axles for 300? i think alot more people would consider the b-series swap if we could find those that cheap

night
08-18-2002, 09:43 PM
did you ever see riceboys setup on hp.com ?

it was not easy to get in. i talked to him quite a bit (although its been a long time). the lude and accord engine compartment are practically identical.

the teg front cross bar and axles fit my car. then just some custom mounts welded for the side in back and both sides. no big deal.

which means the axles will fit the accords to. only im not sure of is if the outboard has the same number of splines on it. otherwise you have switch to teg hubs. i'll get back with everyone on that one.
as for the teg front crossbar i have no idea if it will fit the accord. i will need someone to get some measurement off their car.