PDA

View Full Version : i give up

whowasdat
10-21-2005, 11:38 AM
ok i give up, i dont know what to do wit my 3g no more. everytime i fix one thing somethin else pops up. i got oil leak from somewhere near my distributor, my carb is messed up and doesnt idle right, i start my car and smoke comes out the tail pipe and oil burns off my engine, i still gotta lower my NO(PPM)s to pass smog. but luckily i found a 1991 Integra LS for $1700. does anyone know what i can to fix my car without buyin another motor? cause i wanna keep my accord too

mbc
10-21-2005, 08:14 PM
whowasdat, in order to reduce NOX ppm's it is necessary to replace the catalytic converter. If you still fail, you can clean out the EGR system. My '88 Accord has 452,712 miles and just passed smog using this remedy (only 93 ppm of NOX :) Sometimes, HC's and CO ppm increase so make sure you have clean oil and new plugs. I am new to this forum- hope this helps.

A20A1
10-21-2005, 08:25 PM
You may need to check your conpression ratio and rebuild the carb as well.

As for oil out the distibutor.. there is an O-Ring on the distributor where it plugs into the head... just replace the O-Ring. Assuming it's not the valve cover Gasket Leaking.

3G Jester
10-21-2005, 08:43 PM
the valve cover gasket is an easy fix and might need it any way. 20 bucks at autozone, pull the old one out-clean out any crap and just pop the new one in.

Strugglebucket
10-21-2005, 08:53 PM
here's my advice for passing smog:
1) replace your cap, rotor, and sparkplugs. use ngk plugs.
2) get a bottle of "guranteed to pass" from kragen. add it to a full tank, run it empty, and then fill up with 87 octane.
3) rev your engine at about 4k for about 5min or so right before you go to smog it
if you do those three things, you should be able to squeek by.

cardoc33
10-22-2005, 08:23 AM
Good advice, but switch #1 and #2. You wouldn't want to foul your plugs running thru a tank of gas.

lostforawhile
10-22-2005, 08:58 AM
if you check with sumit racing there are hiigh performance converters available that are legal and bolt in,as far as the other stuf check your pcv valves and do a good tune up,the pcv is cheap do an oil change,that will affect your emmisions,dirty oil has volatile compounds that can end up in the exaust,plugs wires,cap and rotor,and air filter!! if this is dirty it makes your carb run rich really bad. just basic tune up stuff that needs to be done anyway. on the valve cover gasket be sure to put some sealer in the corners on the cyl head or it will leak.don't get frustrated with it,it's just a lot of little stuff that needs to be fixed. for the cost of that other car you could have your accord running really good. even if you had to buy a rebuilt carb. the guys on here will help you out as far as advice. OH as far as oil burning out the tailpipe when you start it up,thats probably your valve stem seals,even if you can't do it yourself,it's not a bad job to have done. the cyl. head doesn't have to be removed or anything, I had one crack and was going through a lot of oil,once i replaced them all it doesn't even use a bit of oil. I'm talking about a cloud of oil smoke when i started it up. the exaust vale stem seals are especially bad about this. they had completly disintegrated.this will screw your emmisions when this happens,but replacing them is part of maintence at high milage.

whowasdat
11-06-2005, 09:56 AM
ok, thanks for all the advice, i hope to get my car up in shape again, i miss driving it badly. but when i get my parts ill let you know if it worked, and thanks again