PDA

View Full Version : Dual din

Robs89LXi
10-22-2005, 12:30 PM
I would like to install a dual din radio in my 3G where the cassette holder now resides, just in front of the shifter.
Here (sorry, borrowed the pic from another post):
http://swiftlytilting.com/images/accord/eq/01-eq-driv.jpg
I want to mount them where the equalizer is sitting in this picture. Has anyone done this, or know of a dual din mounting kit that might work? Or is it actually more of a 1 1/2 DIN? It is actually two single din units that I want to mount there, one on top of the other.
Thanks.

Robs89LXi
10-23-2005, 04:10 AM
Ever done anything like that? I'm sure I can come up with something, but do you know if maybe a universal dual DIN kit would work, or is there something else you could suggest I use?

89T
10-23-2005, 03:32 PM
it should fit with some cutting and filing.

3G Jester
10-23-2005, 04:18 PM
go to walmart and get a mounting kit.....i guess the "88 & up import kit" would be best. it comes with various mounting brackets for hondas, nissans, and i think toyotas. plus a dual din peice. nothing you could by would be an exact fit i dont think but i think ther are basically enough sparre parts that would allow you to create something custom that would work fine.

Baveara
10-23-2005, 05:29 PM
hey i waz thinking of doing something like that but i have a tape deck holder where u have a radio equilizer thing but that would be badazz.

HondaBoy
10-25-2005, 12:52 AM
after you do that you can sell me your EQ!

Vanilla Sky
10-25-2005, 04:02 PM
one thing you need to remember is to get a HU that can mount at that steep of an angle. some don't like being mounted that steeply and will skip or simply not play a CD.

Sabz5150
10-25-2005, 08:48 PM
Find one of the OEM cd player consoles. Yes they are hard to come by but it's going to be a lot easier to do what you are looking at doing with one of those. It already has a metal bracket that will fit a standard DIN length and a dremel will handle the height. Do some work on the brackets, some plastic cutting and you're set.

I did something similar for my processor, except I filled in half a DIN worth the space instead of cutting.

http://www.enginevoodoo.com/images/dts/dts3.jpg

From that, you can get the idea.

Robs89LXi
10-26-2005, 08:03 AM
Yeah, now that would be nice. Is that leather? Was it only available in the SE-i?

Sabz5150
10-26-2005, 08:16 AM
Yeah, now that would be nice. Is that leather? Was it only available in the SE-i?

Leather? Oh! Naah, just rattlecan black and some clearcoat.

It was available in any 3g that was bought with the add-on CD player. Most of them were SE-i's but this particular console I yanked from a DX hatchie.

I'll keep my eyes open for another one.

* Before anyone asks, no I didnt get the cd player.

89T
11-05-2005, 03:52 PM
no.no.no. simply take the cage from the double din scribe the out line of the cage on the plastic then cut it out file for fine tunning.
slide said cage in and bend tabs, plug it in slide it in and call it a day.
If you dont have a cage you need to make custom brackets.