PDA

View Full Version : i need the help of people who done a 5 speed swap...

newaccorddriver
10-22-2005, 08:54 PM
well, it appears that i am about 90% done on the swap, asides from putting the whole front end back together with new tierod ends, im stuck on the pedals.

hers the problem, ive dropped the steering column, so its just dangling there. ive unbolted the 4 bolts on the pedal assembly holding it on the back of it. ive unbolted the top bolt on the pedal assembly, and ive unbolted the bolt on the fuse box. im quite positive that ive gotten every single bolt as the thing is 'wiggling' and separating from the back. its only separating slightly so i know its partially loose. the problem ive come to is that i cant seem to get it out of there...not sure whats actually wrong now, it just doesnt seem to come out... does anybody know of a way i can get it out?

89T
10-23-2005, 01:27 PM
the easiest way is to remove the pedals from the assembly..
do the same with the pedals your going to install.

SteveDX89
10-23-2005, 03:14 PM
As far as I'm concerned, it would be much easier to take the pedals out with the steering column bolted in place.

newaccorddriver
10-23-2005, 06:35 PM
As far as I'm concerned, it would be much easier to take the pedals out with the steering column bolted in place.

umm, how would i put them in then? i heard its harder to put them in piece by piece? for now, its not really any bolts that i have to get at(atleast i dont tihnk), its just wedged in there or something, but i just dont know whats keeping it in.

NastyNate
10-23-2005, 07:11 PM
there is 7 bolts you need to take out 4 behind the breake and one under the gas pedle and out near the stearing column and also the fuse box one. take the pedles off then take it out same thing with putting it in. it is a lot easyer without the pedles on. i have tryed it both ways. i got bored and reasimbled the donner car :)

newaccorddriver
10-23-2005, 09:22 PM
there is 7 bolts you need to take out 4 behind the breake and one under the gas pedle and out near the stearing column and also the fuse box one. take the pedles off then take it out same thing with putting it in. it is a lot easyer without the pedles on. i have tryed it both ways. i got bored and reasimbled the donner car :)

i know ive got 6 of them then, im probably missing the one under the gas pedal. thanks for the info, ill check it out ASAP(aka right now at 11pm lol)

newaccorddriver
10-23-2005, 09:37 PM
well, nastynate, you are my god:bowrofl: :bowrofl: . there is that 1 little bolt i didnt see up againest the firewall that is being hid away behind the steering column. how would i be able to get to that little bolt? i dont seem to have the proper tools for it:uh:

edit: just curious, when putting it back together, is using 6 bolts for it alright? one of thems too hard for me to get at and put back in. i CAN do it, but its too frustrating. and i think 5 bolts holding it to the firewall is good anyways, but is it safe?(keep in mind that 1 bolt is anchoring it to my car still and isnt letttting go anytime soon)

NastyNate
10-24-2005, 03:01 AM
the bolt thing is iffy they put it there for a reason maybe you will be ok and maybe not.... also i used a socket with and 6 in. and 2 1/2 in. extention thats all i used to get the bolts out you just have to look at it there is a way to get every bolt out with out a spec. tool. good luck.

newaccorddriver
10-24-2005, 08:55 PM
finally got that damn bolt out, i had to take off that black plastic cover over the steering column where that is that U-joint, wasnt fun at all... my pedals are just dangling from there now. im having a problem removing the throttle cable from the pedals, any suggestions? i know i should have done that first, but i wasnt thinking too much and just wanted it done ASAP. and how would i go about actually taking the pedal assembly out? just maneouvor it around everything, and same goes for putting it back in?

SteveDX89
10-25-2005, 01:24 AM
and how would i go about actually taking the pedal assembly out? just maneouvor it around everything, and same goes for putting it back in?

How else would you get it out? If stuff's in the way, you have to get around it.

newaccorddriver
10-25-2005, 03:44 PM
How else would you get it out? If stuff's in the way, you have to get around it.

heh, im mainly having the problem getting it back enough to clear the brake boosters thing inside. asides from that, i should be good to go.

newaccorddriver
10-25-2005, 08:41 PM
hmm, well, ive tried quite a few times to get the pedals out, but its not coming out. it seems the bottom part of the gas pedal is hitting againest the heater motor(i think thats what it is). it also appears that i cant seem to pull the whole assembly back enough to clear the brake booster. any suggestions on how i can get it all out in 1 piece? if not, then im going to try and take it apart completely and reassemble it after i bolt it onto the firewall. can someone tell me how hard it would be to get all the springs and stuff correct?

SteveDX89
10-26-2005, 02:43 AM
I don't see how the brake booster is in the way considering it's in the engine bay. Did you make you disconnected all the cables attached to each pedal. The gas pedal has the throttle cable and another cable for cruise control and then the brake pedal has one as well. Like I said before, I took mine out with the steering column up and in place and the pedal box practically fell off the firewall once I took the bolts out.

newaccorddriver
10-26-2005, 03:36 PM
I don't see how the brake booster is in the way considering it's in the engine bay. Did you make you disconnected all the cables attached to each pedal. The gas pedal has the throttle cable and another cable for cruise control and then the brake pedal has one as well. Like I said before, I took mine out with the steering column up and in place and the pedal box practically fell off the firewall once I took the bolts out.

the cables are disconnected, and the pin that holds the brake pedal to the brake booster is out, the whole assembly is just dangling there. the part that the brake pedal bolts up to is getting in the way.i cant seem to pull it back enough so it doesnt get in the way, otherwise it would have been off by now

NastyNate
10-26-2005, 04:44 PM
ok. what i did was take all pedles off the brackets tolk the old one out positioned the new one and instelled the gas pedle then bolted it to the fire wall and the installed the break and cluch pedles. you can not bolt the bracket up till the gas pedle is install be couse there will not be the room to install it it will hit that white box under the dash. also if you take the break pedle out the old bracket wile its in you will make it easyer to move the braket over that inch to get the gas pedle out.

if you don't under stand that pm me and i will type up a step by step but right now i'm in a hurry.

newaccorddriver
10-26-2005, 08:15 PM
ok. what i did was take all pedles off the brackets tolk the old one out positioned the new one and instelled the gas pedle then bolted it to the fire wall and the installed the break and cluch pedles. you can not bolt the bracket up till the gas pedle is install be couse there will not be the room to install it it will hit that white box under the dash. also if you take the break pedle out the old bracket wile its in you will make it easyer to move the braket over that inch to get the gas pedle out.
if you don't under stand that pm me and i will type up a step by step but right now i'm in a hurry.

thats almost how i did it, but thanks for the tip about the gas pedal, cause thats exactly what i took off to get it in there. gotta take it out and put the pedal back in now, thanks for all the help man, appreciate it. now to put the pedals in and reassemble the whole front end