PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Fluid/Washer Motor

ice_cold_ian
10-23-2005, 10:49 PM
Hey, i got a couple questions...
I bought a Hanes Manual, and my dog chewed the shit out of it (oldest excuse in the world i know, but it really did happen this once!) I was wondering how many KM you are suppose to go before Changing the Tranny Fluid. I have owned the car for about 20,000KM of its driving, and havn't gotten the Tanny serviced at all, (1987 LX AT). Last time i checked it (quite a pain in the ass getting my hand down there to check the fluid) it seemed ok, was a light reddish colour or so and didn't smell burnt.

I also have a question about a strange thing happening with my whipers... Last winter my Int. setting went, and when i turned it to intravel it was the same as having it on low. Has been like that ever since... Just a few days ago when it was on Int it started stopping again, but in odd places, halfway on my windshield, 1/4 on my windshielf etc. THen it wouldn't stop at all, even when i turned it to off. Finnally i got it to stop, and later on when i was driving my car, it was set to off and the whipers just started going on their own.
I worry that it may be the control coming from the Steering wheel on the car, and not the washer motor - if so it that an expensive fix? But if its the motor, i can probably just buy one that has a low and a high setting for a couple bucks at a surplus place, or go to a wrecking yard and get one. Any ideas?

86-accord-lxi
10-26-2005, 09:03 AM
Since you haven't changed the tranny fluid upon owning the car,
and don't know when the last change was, or if it has even ever been changed. I suggest changing it as soon as possible. It's quite easy.
Drive the car around a little while until it reaches normal operating temperature, Then park on a flat level surface, turn the wheel fullly
to the right, shut the car off, if you look carefully you will see a drain bolt
on the side of the transmission facing out towards the wheel,
It's a square drive , place a pan under there and pull that drain plug off
let it drain for a good 30 minutes until nothing more comes out,
put the plug back in (make sure to use a new washer), Take the transmission
dipstick out of the top of the transmission (kinda underneath the battery
tray toward the front of the car by the radiator, it's down there you'll
see it, now, take that out and stick a clean funnel in there, drop in about
3.2 quarts of honda Automatic transmission fluid, put dipstick back in,
drive car around the block till u reach operating temperature,
then park on a flat level surface , check the dipstick for correct fluid level,
it should be within the upper and lower marks on the dipstick,
if not fill to correct level, be careful not to burn your hand reaching down there for that dipstick, and do not overfill the transmission.
after all that, reward yourself however you please, (have a cigar, cigarette,
beer, or just enjoy driving your honda with a working , maintained automatic
transmission) My automatic transmission in my 86 lxi is "retarded"
I think I need to rebuild it, or get a "new" one. good luck!!!
PS: with any vehicle, especially one that has 100,000 miles or more, you should change the transmission fluid and filter every 30,000 miles. The problem with 3geez is that you have
to completely remove and dissassemble the auto trans just to change a little filter.
Change the fluid anyway, for the life of your tranny!

ice_cold_ian
10-26-2005, 09:28 PM
Since you haven't changed the tranny fluid upon owning the car,
and don't know when the last change was, or if it has even ever been changed. I suggest changing it as soon as possible. It's quite easy.
Drive the car around a little while until it reaches normal operating temperature, Then park on a flat level surface, turn the wheel fullly
to the right, shut the car off, if you look carefully you will see a drain bolt
on the side of the transmission facing out towards the wheel,
It's a square drive , place a pan under there and pull that drain plug off
let it drain for a good 30 minutes until nothing more comes out,
put the plug back in (make sure to use a new washer), Take the transmission
dipstick out of the top of the transmission (kinda underneath the battery
tray toward the front of the car by the radiator, it's down there you'll
see it, now, take that out and stick a clean funnel in there, drop in about
3.2 quarts of honda Automatic transmission fluid, put dipstick back in,
drive car around the block till u reach operating temperature,
then park on a flat level surface , check the dipstick for correct fluid level,
it should be within the upper and lower marks on the dipstick,
if not fill to correct level, be careful not to burn your hand reaching down there for that dipstick, and do not overfill the transmission.
after all that, reward yourself however you please, (have a cigar, cigarette,
beer, or just enjoy driving your honda with a working , maintained automatic
transmission) My automatic transmission in my 86 lxi is "retarded"
I think I need to rebuild it, or get a "new" one. good luck!!!
PS: with any vehicle, especially one that has 100,000 miles or more, you should change the transmission fluid and filter every 30,000 miles. The problem with 3geez is that you have
to completely remove and dissassemble the auto trans just to change a little filter.
Change the fluid anyway, for the life of your tranny!

thank you very much for the help, i will likley end up taking it into a garage or superlube or somewhere inorder to get the filter changed too- but for future reference, i will use your steps, much appriciated.
Do you, or anyone else know about the whipers motor/control on the steering wheel?

86-accord-lxi
10-27-2005, 02:56 AM
I am not sure about the washer problem, but I'll take a stab at it and say
It could be your combination switch? You should be able to find one at a
salvage yard for like $5 or $10, give it a try.