PDA

View Full Version : Should I just remove my muffler?

86-accord-lxi
10-24-2005, 02:44 PM
My muffler is more than likely original and is rusted badly.
in some spots rusted through completely. I don't know if this has any relavence to the rusty muffler ,and missing bolts on the exhaust manifold
but, Whenever It's cold outside when I start my 86 lxi It smokes heavily out the tail pipe, then after 10 or 15 mins the smoke stops. When it's warm outside the car does not smoke at all. It just worries me because it's a lot of smoke. just normal looking exhaust that smells like lawn mower exhaust.
I don't think it's a blown headgasket because that is usually heavy white "fluffy" smoke. If it was a head gasket wouldn't it just continue smoking and worsening? My question: Would I be hurting the car, or engine in anyway
If I just removed the muffler? I was thinking maybe since this only happens in cold weather It could be condesation, or moisture that is in the muffler
and exhaust manifold due to the exhaust manifold missing most of Its bolts,
and the rusty holy muffler??? I need some pointers. I don't want to do anything to worsen the problem, or hurt my wanda.

SteveDX89
10-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Dude, all cars smoke in the morning when it's cold out and stop when they get warmed up. It's just condensation and other stuff. Leave your muffler on or replace it with a new one.

3rdgenhatchDX
10-24-2005, 03:06 PM
i took my muffler off for no reason, so sure! do it!

88Accord-DX
10-24-2005, 03:14 PM
I agree, just leave the muffler on untill you buy a new one.

If you take the muffler off, there are chances of you getting a ticket for it being to loud.
I didn't see in your post," being cold" , your car is going to "look" like it is smoking. On the start up on older cars, there is some smoke from oil leaking down the valve stems seals & guides only for about 5-10 seconds. What your seeing is nothing but normal shit.

**EDIT**

Mars
10-24-2005, 08:00 PM
my lx smokes for about 5 minutes every morning when its cold. just a car thing.

86-accord-lxi
10-25-2005, 03:53 PM
I know it's normal to for a car to have exhaust look like smoke
in cold weather, I am just worried because upon start up this is
more "smoke" than normal. but after about 15 minutes it goes away. This is my first time to have the car in cold weather and don't know how it acts exactly in cold weather. I am just worried, It's the only wheels I have and
I don't want to do anything to mess it up. I have also noticed a slight
gas smell on the dipstick when I check the oil. Is this something that should be diagnosed immediately? The oil is always right at the top "dot" on the
dipstick, so I am not sure If I have any vavle guide problems, or ring problems.
The oil always looks clean too. This car is weird.

88Accord-DX
10-25-2005, 06:27 PM
I have also noticed a slight
gas smell on the dipstick when I check the oil.
Most of the time, when there is gas smell in the oil. There is a head gasket problem.

danronian
10-25-2005, 06:59 PM
Worry about the smoke when it's blue. http://www.3geez.com/images/icons/icon14.gif
Or when it smells sweet and it's white.

shepherd79
10-26-2005, 01:14 PM
it is normal for oil to smell a liitle of gas since older cars will have higher chance of blow by around the rings.
this is what i would done if i was you. get yourself cylinder pressure tester. this will tell you if you have some kind mechanical or headgasket problem.
plus you will know in what kind shape your engine is at this moment.

if your car smokes for 15 minutes when it warms up, most likely your engine is worn out. I had simular problem with my old one. replaced and rebuild cylinder head on my old accord and it was still doing it. when i checked the compression i found out that i had small blow by around the rings. when the engine is cold the oil would get around the rings and into the engine and burn, but when it warms up, the rings would seal it up and it would stop smoking.
so, get the gauge and test the engine.

86-accord-lxi
10-27-2005, 03:00 AM
I was thinking abot getting a compression tester the other day.
I 'll check it out and pary that it's nothing major.
Thanx.

A18A
10-27-2005, 04:40 PM
How come my car doesnt make any smoke when i start it in cold weather? and i also think theres a hole in my exhaust because it smells pretty bad when its running and it sounds different from a normal accord

spanky
10-31-2005, 12:40 PM
How come my car doesnt make any smoke when i start it in cold weather? and i also think theres a hole in my exhaust because it smells pretty bad when its running and it sounds different from a normal accord
for some reason im just amazed that your car starts b/c it looks like shyt and from all the hoodrich fixes u've dont to it.