PDA

View Full Version : Crap Crap Crap

Mars
10-24-2005, 04:43 PM
I just cross threaded a spark plug, and i think ima have to pull my head.

Anything i need to know before i go elbow deep into the engine?
and anyhting i should replace while im at it?

A20A1
10-24-2005, 04:54 PM
headgasket perhaps...
Howd you cross thread it?
You weren't working when the engine was hot were you?

Always hand install and tighten the spark plug first then use a tool for the last few turns.

HondaBoy
10-24-2005, 05:00 PM
i still dont know how people do that, cross threading a plug. i've almost done it but have somewhat of a technique to get a plug into the head easily. i usually will clean around the plug hole. i dont really push on the plug when installing it, i let it kind of catch itself in the threads. i dunno, i've just done it so many times its easy to tell when something is going to mess up. oh, one time i thought i had messed up the threads in the head. turned out to be that the plug's threads were messed up. hopefully you can fix that with a different plug. i'd try that first, maybe a plug you have just taken out, try threading it in the hole to determine if its the other plug or really threads in the head. tell us whats up when you find out.

3G Jester
10-24-2005, 05:20 PM
tisk tisk..go to sears...looks like youll be the proud owner of a new tap and die set :)

Mars
10-24-2005, 05:40 PM
I dont know, i started it by hand, as soo as i put the ratched on it poped out
Edit: If i take it to a place, how much do they usually charge to fix it?

Mars
10-25-2005, 11:59 AM
I got a rethreading tool and recut the first 5 or 6 heads. the plug went in and works fine.

HondaBoy
10-25-2005, 12:30 PM
that's good. must feel good that you didnt have to take the cylinder head off! that would have sucked.

Mars
10-25-2005, 01:51 PM
pff yeah.
I think i got a bad plug, the first thread was closed off.

86-accord-lxi
10-26-2005, 08:01 AM
I did that one time, lucky for me a thread chaser fixed mine.
That's waht I was going to suggest, but you already fixed it.

PhyscoDboy
10-26-2005, 09:46 PM
I have found that it makes it quite easy if you pull the rubber off of an old plug wire and use that to put it in. If it does start to crossthread it will just slip in the rubber.

A18A
10-27-2005, 04:54 PM
whats cross threading a spark plug?

lostforawhile
10-27-2005, 05:32 PM
try gettting a spark plug chaser tool,it will clean out all the crap out of your plug threads,just be careful with it. they aren't expensive and there is a lot of junk in there.

Cant Stop
11-05-2005, 08:25 PM
ya i was going to suggest the old spark plug wire boot trick keep one around makes putting plugs in sooo easy.
ya god zilla they are referring to cross threading the threads on the head where the plug goes in
it is easy to do this one anything with threads usually happens when you put bolts in at a angle or the threads on the bolt are crushed it will recut the original threads and screw things up.