PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Advance Problem

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
10-25-2005, 09:39 PM
Hi Guys:

I'm still trying to get the timing adjusted on the 89LX to pass smog. So my timing is currently set at 33 BTDC. I've adjusted to where I can get it to 25BTDC but no further (I have fully rotated the distributor forward - clockwise if looking from the right of the car).

I performed the test procedures outline on the manual. I failed one of the test, which test vacuum at line #25 when the vehicle is warmed up. At that point,there should be no vacuum, yet I still have vacuum. I have changed the Thermovalve B as recommended but the problem remains. The manual doesn't address what to do next at that point.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Claude

A20A1
10-26-2005, 02:30 AM
Check the coolant level... and bleed any air in the system.

Other then that it may be another faulty valve... if nothing helps, warm up the car and just plug the #25 vacuum line to the distributor for now. That will stop vacuum from getting past the thermovalve and going to the distributor...

unless there is a leak letting vacuum from #2 into #25 inside the distributor diaphragm, but I dunno.

A20A1
10-31-2005, 02:24 AM
Any updates?

POS carb
11-02-2005, 01:27 PM
either your timing light is set wrong or your timing belt has jumped... there should be no way to advance that distributor that far, you should have your timing around 15* BTDC

On my car I also had the problem with the extra advance not turning off when the car is warm, I plugged the vacuum line with a metal BB for the smog test. That line only adds about another 3*

Check your base timing, it should be around 4*