PDA

View Full Version : Choke probs on '83 Prelude

eradicator_006
10-26-2005, 12:49 PM
Hey guys, I just got a 1983 Prelude to get me through winter. When the car is cold (ie. sat overnight @ -4'C) the high idle doesn't work. After the has run for a few minutes the high idle will eventually kick in then it'll eventually kick down to normal idle as normal. If the car is warm and I shut it off for several minutes then go to start it back up again the choke is working and it idles high for a bit then kicks down to normal idle. So my question is; why doesn't the car idle high when it's cold? The car has dual 1bbl carbs.

Thanks.

AccordDX86
10-26-2005, 01:41 PM
That sounds normal to me. The choke is supposed to turn itself off, and on even when the car is warm from what I understand. At least thats what my car does

eradicator_006
10-26-2005, 03:25 PM
That sounds normal to me. The choke is supposed to turn itself off, and on even when the car is warm from what I understand. At least thats what my car does

It doesn't seem normal that the choke doesn't kick in when I start it cold then kicks in after running for a few minutes. I have to hold the accelerator and keep the rpms at 2k then after 2 minutes of doing that the choke will take over.

Thanks for the input though.

FyreDaug
11-17-2005, 11:38 PM
Thats strange, do the choke(s?) have anything to give them vacuum? WHat happens when you WOT the car 2-3 times while its idling rough, will that kick the high speed on?

eradicator_006
11-18-2005, 03:00 AM
Thats strange, do the choke(s?) have anything to give them vacuum? WHat happens when you WOT the car 2-3 times while its idling rough, will that kick the high speed on?

Yeah the chokes were working fine...the high idler thinggy was sticking and not holding the throttle open a bit. I cleaned up the linkages with some carb cleaner and that did the trick. It ran great for a week and a half after I cleaned things up. Then I made the mistake of filling the car with ethanol blended gasoline. The car misses like crazy now and stalls 99% of the time when its warm. It runs decently when the choke is closed. As soon as the choke opens up the car doesn't want to idle. My guess is the CVCC engine doesn't like the ethanol blended gas. Luckily I only have an 8th of a tank left and will put in normal gas. I hope this clears things up...