PDA

View Full Version : MISSION IMPOSSIBLE........damper fork removal!

bigpoppa88
08-15-2002, 05:15 PM
Any tips in removing the bushing and bolt in the damper fork would be much appreciated! I know the bolt is splined in the rubber bushing hence,it will not turn in the bushing but cause it to spin with the bushing....can't hammer it out, the rubber bushing gives the bolt a cushion to accept any blow with a hammer or sledge hammer.

jteuton
08-15-2002, 05:44 PM
huh?....the only bushings i have are for the sway bar. Damper fork has a long bolt that goes through lower control arm. You can beat it out with a hammer and some sort of punch.

bigpoppa88
08-15-2002, 06:02 PM
Correct...a long bolt surrounded by a rubber bushing....as stated before the size of the bushing creates a cushion for the hit. Believe me I've hammered with a sledge and cranked it with a 3 foot breaker bar.

YK86
08-15-2002, 06:03 PM
The bolt goes through a bushing on the lower control arm. I would try penetrating oil and lots of it and let it sit over night. Or try heating it. If it doesn't help (it didn't for me), chop the bolt off right in between the fork and the bushing, drill out the bushing, and put in a new one.

Dutchboy
08-15-2002, 06:15 PM
i had the same thing happen to me.....i sprayed it with penetrating oil and let it sit while i ate and then after i beat it with a hammer for an hour and it slowly came out .....i thought it would be impossible but keep at it and it will come out,,

grease the bolt good before you put it back in to make any future work a little easier...
Ben

RobT5580
08-15-2002, 06:48 PM
Both my accords had to be cut out. Just cut the bolt only like yasu said and buy a new bolt and bushing. The bushing will need to be pressed out with a press and the same for the new. Once this is done and you grease or put anti-seize on the bolt you will be all set. I beat and beat the last one and no luck so i took it to my mechanic to press it out.

night
08-15-2002, 08:14 PM
u mean the lower arm to pull the axle right ?

just buy a fork from autozone. like 7 bucks.
stick it in there and beat the living shit out of it til it pops loose.

Grant2k
08-16-2002, 02:42 PM
i snapped the head off that bolt doing mine. What i ended up doing was to cut the bolt out, basically cut off the damper fork at the bolt, and then tear apart the bushing with a drill and hammer out the sleeve. Have fun.