PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust/Muffler

hondaluvva
10-27-2005, 10:43 PM
Other than it sounding like a 5.0litre 12 Cylinder truck with turbo, will having 5 holes in the exhuast make my car run like shit?
I don't mean preformance wise, the car still has a shit load of power, it just has a loud and speratic idle. Especially at high speed on freeway. It sounds like its putting, and occasionaly it will cough.
It's like a misfire, but we've been through that before, haven't we alex. It's not a misfire.
I mean as in tuning.
for eg: misfire putt putt sound. I thought this noise was just my engine getting old and sounding clapped out, but today I started to smell fumes in my car so I investigated it.
Turns out I have 5 holes in the pipe that leads in to the muffler at the back end of the car. One of them I can nearly fit my little finger in to :sad2:
Anyway I'm gonna get a replacement and fix it, but my question is will having that sort of leak effect the cars running at all??
I was starting to think my car really should sound like a freightliner... though I guess I just got used to it.. must have been a gradual leak or something.
It all seems to make sense if having holes affects the way the car runs, but i wasn't sure if did or not, perhaps it just makes the car real noisey like.