PDA

View Full Version : Well my custom hood is almost done but now car won't start.

Mike's89AccordLX
10-28-2005, 08:43 AM
Well my custom hood project will be done tomorrow. And I have been charging up the battery. It will crank and I had it going once but it died after I let off the gas. I noticed some smoke coming from the engine and I stopped trying. It looked like it was coming from the starter solenoid, but the starter and solenoid weren't hot at all just a little warm. I checked around that area for burnt wires but nothing. I'm not quite sure what to think right now. It has a half tank of fuel and the oil is good. I don't think it could be a coolant leak b/c nothing was hot enough to make it smoke and it didn't smell like smoking coolant. And the belts were sqweeling.

I knew the car was going to be mad at me for not driving her for 2 months.

What do you guys think I should try? I'm going to put my midtronics tester on the battery to see if it's got good health and charge. But, I'm kind of at a loss about the smoke from the starter area...

And I will get some pics tomorrow if I can get the beast running.

-Mike

Mike's89AccordLX
10-28-2005, 09:06 AM
Alright I got it going for about 2 minutes. Belts were sqweeling and smoking and yeah I smoked a belt. I run to the store and get some new belts. I broke the one that goes around the alternator, water pump, and crank. Since that one is closest to the motor I better replace all 3 belts so I don't have to do it again. I'm sure I glazed them pretty good :) looked like a burnout competiting in my backyard. :lol:

But it runs so that's a plus.

Didn't smoke from the starter area this last time either. The smoke could have been from the belts but drifted to that area I dunno.

Alright off to the store.

-Mike

Mike's89AccordLX
10-28-2005, 09:30 AM
Well I decided to turn the pulleys while I was figuring out how to replace all the belt (except timing belt). And I found out that my alternator pulley wouldn't turn. Everything else was good but the alternator pulley. Do you guys think I should force it after spraying it down with some lubricant? Or do you think I need a new alternator? I should be able to get the alternator through the top since I don't have a lot of crap in my engine bay. But I don't really want to buy an alternator either...

What do you guys think I should do?

Mike's89AccordLX
10-28-2005, 11:16 AM
Well I bought a new alternator (lifetime warranty) and all new Gatorback belts. And got a bunch of other stuff from Autozone so I would get my $20 giftcard :)

The alternator most like has a bad bearing so yeah I will have fun with that tomorrow.

AccordEpicenter
10-28-2005, 12:22 PM
yeah if it wont turn freely its a bad bearing, and the bad bearing makes soo much heat and noise it smokes the alternator

3G Jester
10-28-2005, 01:31 PM
thats exactly happened with my 3g when i tried to get her running again after like..10 months of sitting there.....then i left for the military so i didnt persue it farther then you. it was a rough start and i had to replace the belts..again....i started by getting all new belts but everything was seized.

Baveara
10-28-2005, 03:24 PM
hey the smoking from the starter area is from the wire connections on the sylinoed. won't look dirty but probally is.

Mike's89AccordLX
10-28-2005, 08:48 PM
Well I decided to not replace the A/C belt. Figure I should just cut it and not replace it since I never use it. Do you think I can get the alternator out from the top? I have a lot of stuff removed and I think I can get it out since I can clearly see it. Just might have some problems with the bolt underneath, but I will just have to see in the morning. And tips or advice is always welcome.

-Mike

DXDriver
10-28-2005, 09:43 PM
I had to replace the alternator on my carb. it wasnt so bad, it has to be done from the bottom if you have all of the vacuum and smog stuff hooked up.

AccordEpicenter
10-28-2005, 10:18 PM
where are pics of this custom hood mike? is it a cowl induction?

Mike's89AccordLX
10-29-2005, 05:58 AM
I don't have the hood on yet. And I have I think 100% of the smog crap out of my car :) So I guess I will get it from the top then.

Mike's89AccordLX
10-29-2005, 06:00 AM
And yes I cut out a part of the hood right above my edlebrock air cleaner so I would get some nice air.

Mike's89AccordLX
10-29-2005, 06:27 AM
Well I can see why my car didn't pull a lot of amps when running. There was no adjustment nut on the alternator to keep tension on the belt. I was like wtf somethings missing. 1 bolt/nut left to get off the alternator. (the tough one :( )

Mike's89AccordLX
10-29-2005, 02:17 PM
Alright I got it all back together and the car runs good. I put the hood on and it looks mean! I like it and I still can use my windsheild washers but you can't see them. I'm going out now to get some paint and I will attempt to paint it tonight.

-Mike

Mike's89AccordLX
10-29-2005, 09:11 PM
Alright I just finished priming, painting, and clearing the hood. I went with gloss black :) Man do I want an all black accord now. It looks hot. Or I could still be high from the paint fumes. Or alcohol, I dunno I will have finished pics tomorrow.

-Mike

mkymonkey
10-29-2005, 11:53 PM
cool, must be nice to have time lol

Mike's89AccordLX
10-30-2005, 10:01 AM
I don't exactly have a lot of it, if you implying I do.

mkymonkey
10-30-2005, 11:02 AM
oh no im not saying that you have no life just that it must be nice to find the time. cuz i sure cant....school/work/girlfriend/child/ and all i get is 4 hrs of sleep. oh and im not being sarcastic

88accordhb
10-30-2005, 11:08 AM
damn a child at age 20? owned greatly

any pics on the hood mike???

mkymonkey
10-30-2005, 11:11 AM
damn ct.....totaly flaming on me these past days

Mike's89AccordLX
11-01-2005, 09:12 AM
Here's one pic I couldn't get more than this one to load on my cardomain so I will have to keep trying.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/322000-322999/322549_177_full.jpg

Mike's89AccordLX
11-01-2005, 09:40 AM
I don't know what the heck is up with my cardomain, but it won't let me upload anymore images. So you guys will have to live with the one pic for now at least. Sorry.

-Mike

mkymonkey
11-01-2005, 11:57 AM
why dont you use imageshack or photobucket?????

sounddomain is being stupid....you cant even browse through pages of the members because their damn server is probably overloaded and cant take the heat. anyway just use imageshack it will save lots of trouble

plus i want to see more pics. lol

A20A1
11-02-2005, 08:56 PM
Nice, but why are the light covers on there?

Soundy
11-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Well my custom hood project will be done tomorrow. And I have been charging up the battery. It will crank and I had it going once but it died after I let off the gas.

Maybe the car doesn't like its new hood? Maybe you should put the original one back and keep your car happy :)
:rice:

2drSE-i
11-03-2005, 10:01 PM
wow buddy

shut the hell up

his hood is not rice, it will be entirely functional, and i dont really think anyone who is new to the site shud be starting shit with one of the most senior members

its called cowl induction, learn a thing or two about cars before you post rice on anyone again

Soundy
11-03-2005, 10:11 PM
Wow, buddy, you need to get a grip before spouting off.

Ya see the smiley?? It's a JOKE.

Lighten up.

2drSE-i
11-03-2005, 10:14 PM
shortly after posting it i realized i went off on ya...sry

long night at work, shudnt take it out on people

rice is a very serious topic here :)

Soundy
11-03-2005, 10:31 PM
shortly after posting it i realized i went off on ya...sry

np

long night at work, shudnt take it out on people

I've had a very long WEEK at work... I know the feeling.

rice is a very serious topic here :)

Well, I generally prefer the brown stuff, it has more flavor than the white...

2drSE-i
11-03-2005, 10:35 PM
white rice with sugar makes a good snack

if i werent making 5.75 at a fast food place, busting my ass with the stress level up to my ears, and people bitching because their ice cream is cold and their burgers are hot, it wud all be worth it

but with the money i finally bought a cold air intake, PCP corners and bumper lights, and custom exhaust soon to come.

mkymonkey
11-03-2005, 10:40 PM
I generally prefer the brown stuff, it has more flavor than the white...

i dont get it? are saying you like gravy....or refering to beans?

Soundy
11-03-2005, 10:49 PM
No... the RICE, silly.