PDA

View Full Version : holey cow chit batmange

Baveara
10-28-2005, 04:48 PM
hey guys i need help with my audio i have a small budget $250us. and i have a hu a 12in box and 2kenwood 6x9s what can i get i miss the boom boom that i had in my old cars. i'm leaning toward rockford fosgate. but it has to take a beating what ever it is. any help would be great. i'm tyred of killing amps and subs needs to be matched.:stupid: we need one of these to say I feel pretty. lol

88eyeguy
10-28-2005, 05:14 PM
wait...what?! do you have a sub, want a sub, want an amp, what?

for subs, you can find plenty good ones for under $250 each.

for amps, i have alpines and they sound great. rockford fosgate will run you quite a bit more.

for subs AND amps, well you'll have to stick with one of each if you want decent quality. even then you won't get that great of an amp...

please clarify what you want so we can help you better.

Vanilla Sky
10-28-2005, 06:44 PM
for subs, in that price range, go with a dayton audio or an elemental designs.

as for an amp, if you must have new, look for an older coustic amp. some stores still may have them in stock from a year or so ago. from what i hear, they were quite underrated.

Baveara
10-28-2005, 06:50 PM
i need a sub and a amp all under $250.

Vanilla Sky
10-28-2005, 07:17 PM
ok, so how about i pick it out for you? does the sub enclosure need to be included in the price, or what size is your current box (dimensions, not just the cutout size)?

Vanilla Sky
10-28-2005, 07:54 PM
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-464
and
http://www.cardomain.com/item/JBLCS2001
$249.75

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-555
and
http://www.cardomain.com/item/JBLCS2001
$195.20

Baveara
10-28-2005, 10:26 PM
yeah but that amp is weak is it not i mean if i ran it at 2ohm it woulld be ok but would fry the sub.

Baveara
10-29-2005, 12:36 AM
hey i found this what do u think is it a good brand r what?
http://www.cardomain.com/item/BOSC650

Vanilla Sky
10-29-2005, 05:06 AM
umm, that amp won't fry either one of those subs. even the less expensive qu4tro sub is rated at 250 watts RMS while the amp is rated at 236 watts RMS. you can't run it at 2 ohms with a single 4 ohm driver.

and that boss amp is garbage. hell, both reviews for the amp say to buy something else because it's crap, and that's written by people that have OWNED that product before.

NOAHS88accord
10-31-2005, 05:26 AM
go to crutchfield.com and purchase one of the sub/amp combos.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-OCeWDGGrnwq/cgi-bin/Prodgroup.asp?g=208250&avf=N

Vanilla Sky
10-31-2005, 08:53 AM
all they have over there in his price range is crap, even that alpine combo.

Baveara
10-31-2005, 09:59 AM
anybody got a legacy am pi'm looking at them but it's one of those to good to be true kind of things

3rdCoast
10-31-2005, 10:08 AM
legacy is junk, boss is junk, american pro is junk, crunch is junk......it goes on just save up ur money for a lil while longer then u can get somethin more worth the while and actualy be happy with it. When it comes to stuff like this u get what u pay for.

Vanilla Sky
10-31-2005, 10:52 AM
if you're looking for cheap, go with my second recommendation, the dayton audo quattro sub with that JBL amp i recommeneded. both products are good products and you will have no trouble out of either one.

if more people would take the advice that the few of the more experienced audio guys around here give, they wouldn't buy the legacy and pyle and that crap and be pissed because it sounds like crap. the only person oh here with pyle parts that has a good system is adam (sabz5150), but if i remember correctly, he built his own crossovers for them, and the drivers are due for an upgrade.

right now, the best audio guy (imo) on the board that has been active recently is MIA again. sabz5150 seems to only answer around here every weeks or so, so he's out as well. our (old) audio mod has been MIA for YEARS.

if it helps out any, when i get drivers for my truck, the bass drivers will be one of those two i listed above. no other options for me. even elemental designs (ED) doesn't have what i'm looking for.

my86dx4dr
10-31-2005, 11:59 AM
i agree with vanilla sky man,

I'am not trying to down you, your looking for advice, and you dont know to much about this stuff, my friend just went to shucks (also known as checkers auto) and he bought $300 in stereo stuff, a JENSEN stereo, a 240watt jensen 4ch amp, 2 big huge ugly vr3 12" subs in seperate boxes
a box with 2 8" "subs" and then a 6" bass tube, hooked it all up THE WRONG WAY, im talkin wires goin everywhere, speaker wire going from the deck to the batter, for a ground YES A GROUND and then the power was hooked up to the ashtray lightbulb, and he couldnt find out why he was blowin fuses?

anyways, Take some advice, ok, just because its not 500watts rms, dont mean nuthin, its actualy QUALITY over QUANITY, aka, cleaner sound at 236w is better then rigged 500w what vanilla is presenting to you would most deff make you VERY happy!

i actualy want that amp, i run to jbl GT series subs at 75w a peice YEA 75W and if it wernt for the amp frying one side (its jensen, i expected this) i would have them hooked up seperatly, but now they're bridged yea.. bridged OFF 75 WATTS, (ahaha hey its till christmas) and it still sounds AWESOME,

in this case, for your budget, the first sub will be better then a 2 sub setup, that will pound, it will make your rearview dance!

Sabz5150
10-31-2005, 01:09 PM
Gotta agree too. I know a thing or two about getting the most boom for your buck :) and you don't need a mind croggling amount of power to sound good rollin down the street.

Listen to these guys, they're good. We just don't want to see you waste your money on something that will hammer the pavement for a month or so.

daamizin1
11-01-2005, 03:08 AM
For $250 your not going to get anything too great sounding unless you buy it used off ebay or something, but then again theres no telling how long it will last. Dont forget you need the amp wiring kit too. I have 2 kenwood 12's with a 1000 watt amp and it sounds pretty good, but the amp alone is $240, plus i have pioneer components. And if you want it to sound good and not just make a loud thump you need to upgrade your components as well. I have a kenwood 5 channel amp, 4 for components and 1 for sub that i might sell. It retails for 3 or 4 hundred and it has only been used once for like a week so its basically new. If your interested let me know, im not sure how much im selling it for yet. Having a nice sounding audio system isn't cheap, and if you buy cheap subs and amps they will get damaged very easily and it will have been a waste of money. The best thing to do is probably save up a little more money and get good quality products. And try not to mix up with different companies because all their wattage ratings are different, try to stay with one company for all you audio.

Vanilla Sky
11-01-2005, 10:56 AM
wow, that's some real misinformation there. i'll work down the post and disprove just about everything about your post.

fisrt of all, what i linked him to are some of the best drivers for the money, and probably one of the best amps for the money. dayton audio drivers aren't cheapies just because they don't cost a lot. most "good" subs cost so much because of thier NAME, not thier performance. 3 other examples of this are resonant engineering, elemental designs, and adire audio.

i would recommend staying as far away from the kenwood subs as possible. i see too many of them blown with less wattage than rated for.

this "loud thump" you're thinking of is pretty much a moot point because this is what this guy wants (or at least thinks he wants). he already has a headunit, and probably already has upgraded speakers.

don't try to make sales in this forum. if you want to sell something, take it to the marketplace.

wanna bet? look at the setup sabz5150 has. he has a dts setup in his car. everything was hand picked, but he had to settle on a couple less expensive parts (the mids, mostly). even considering that, he has what i consider to be the best audio system 3geez has. so far, i believe he only has around $1000 in it.

mixing companies is probably the BEST thing you can do. let's say that company A has good amps but bad drivers, while company B builds the best drivers on earth, but thier amps are prone to catching fire. what would be the reason to buy a good amp and shitty drivers from company A, or burn my car down with company B's amps? what do you do? you buy the amp from company A and the drivers from company B. in my truck, the HU is a panasonic, and the speakers are sony (they are getting replaced soon). the amp i have sitting here to install is an old sony amp. the drivers i'm buying are vifa and dayton. is my system going to sound like crap? nope. i'll have a system on par with some of the competitors in SQ competitions, and only have around $800 in it.

next time, don't post your opinion as fact, just as you did here. while what i posted is my opinion, look at how many others SHARE my opinion.

daamizin1
11-01-2005, 01:56 PM
First off i never said anything bad about dayton audio, when i mentioned cheap subs i was referring to cheap brands like pyramid and the ones you can get already in a box at pepboys for like $100. And when it comes to mixing up companies i didnt mean you have to keep everything the same, because your right about some things being better from different companies but the watt ratings afe different. If you have a 1200 watt sony amp, or 1000 watt pyramid amp and a 1000 watt alpine sub, that doesnt mean that your getting all the performance out of that sub as you can. You can mix companies as long as you mix one good company with another, if you mix a good with a bad you wont get the maximum sound and performance. I am not trying to sell anything on here he said he was looking for a nice sounding system and i was letting him know i have an amp i might sell if he needs one. As for the kenwoods blowing out that isn't true, I have had them in my car for almost 2 years and never had a problem with anything and my friend had them in his car for over a year before that and never had a problem. And i also agree about not always having to spend a whole lopt of money to get a great sounding system, but it all depends on who you know and when they can get for cheap, if you get lucky and find something good for cheap, if someone gives you some of the things because they dont need it, ect. But without knowing people that can get their hands on audio parts for a cheaper price or anything else it is going to more expensive. But if he only wants something to make noise then yes he can get it for $250, but if he wants to sound good, all the words to be herd clearly and all that then it will cost more because you need good components and high's with a capacitor(so your headlights dont dim when your driving at night), plus the amp, sub, box and wiring. Your saing its not too expensive but your planning on spending around $800, the other guy spent like $1000? And thats neither of you are being giving some parts or you know someone that can get them a little cheaper for you, if thats the case then it would normally be more, What i wrote isnt FACT, its what i know from experience, Im not saying im the best at car audio but i do know a good amount about it. So its all my opinion from what i experienced.

Vanilla Sky
11-01-2005, 02:14 PM
no, we both bought parts at retail price. no special hookups or anything. my amp and HU were bought cheaply (amd neede a repair, the HU was an old hold-over unit). my drivers alone are going to cost that much. still really cheap in the grand scheme of things. there are people around here (3geez) that have $1500 systems (yeah, worth more than the car) that are nothing more than a basic 2 sub, hu, single amp, and 4 co-ax speaker setups.

i'm here to encourage people to come on here and ask "is this good" or "can i buy this amp and that sub with this box and have a good system". i have seen too many people just going down to the local sound shop and asking them to put a system in for them and getting royally raped on it.

oh, and my $800 includes the parts for my crossovers and my wiring. my crossovers aren't going to be cheap themselves. i'm looking at clost to $200 when i include some redundancy (extra parts for tuning) into that, just for crossovers.

LiTtLe xOx BitT
11-01-2005, 03:33 PM
see, you bought things that needed to be repaired for a cheaper price because you have the knowledge to do it.So you got it cheaper then it would normally be,which is a good thing but not everyone knows how to do that. I want to encourage to ask questions too,but I also want to make sure that they aren't going to waste money on a bad setup.What I said wasn't meant to be taken in an offensive way. I just wanted to be clear to stay away from cheap companies and to maybe put a little bit more money into the audio system to be sure you get excatly what you want out of it.Sorry if it sounded ignorant but i've seen to many people buy from cheap companies and there setup not work two weeks later. and dont mind the user name it's my girlfriends its still daamizin1

Vanilla Sky
11-01-2005, 05:12 PM
but see, that $800 is what i have yet to spend, not what i've already spent, which is only the $57 for my headunit.

Sabz5150
11-01-2005, 08:37 PM
if you're looking for cheap, go with my second recommendation, the dayton audo quattro sub with that JBL amp i recommeneded. both products are good products and you will have no trouble out of either one.

if more people would take the advice that the few of the more experienced audio guys around here give, they wouldn't buy the legacy and pyle and that crap and be pissed because it sounds like crap. the only person oh here with pyle parts that has a good system is adam (sabz5150), but if i remember correctly, he built his own crossovers for them, and the drivers are due for an upgrade.

right now, the best audio guy (imo) on the board that has been active recently is MIA again. sabz5150 seems to only answer around here every weeks or so, so he's out as well. our (old) audio mod has been MIA for YEARS.

if it helps out any, when i get drivers for my truck, the bass drivers will be one of those two i listed above. no other options for me. even elemental designs (ED) doesn't have what i'm looking for.

The Pyle components came with their own crossovers. The reason that Pyle sucks so bad these days is they were bought by (shudders) PYRAMID. The Pyles I have were before they went downhill.

I'll upgrade the drivers soon enough. I will probably go with Clarion components all around so that they match the center channel (VERY few people make mobile center channel speakers, Clarion is one of them).

I'm not MIA... I am around here and there, and I usually keep a lookout on the Audio section. I'll get caught up in the occasional political thread too :)