PDA

View Full Version : Clean out that coolant bottle!

w261w261
10-30-2005, 09:00 PM
I replaced all the little coolant hoses that, among other places, go to the fast idle valve. I tried to do them with stock hoses, but in the end ordered 6 new hoses from Honda. I got too frustrated...I couldn't find metric sizes and 1/2" was too small and 5/8 to large on a couple of them. That, and the right angle turns. Anyway, while I was at it I replaced the big bushings on the upper motor mount bar (probably didn't have to), and got around to a project that has been waiting too long, the coolant bottle. It was so rusted up on the inside that I couldn't easily see the level. I could check it when I changed the oil, but that's every 3,000 miles...made me nervous. I could also unscrew the larger cap on the bottle and look down with a flashlight, but that got my hand dirty every time.

So, I took out the battery and battery tray (and painted it for good measure as the rust was creeping around). The bottle came right out. I had some phosphoric acid (it comes in many versions...milkstone remover, tile/grout cleaner, and what I had "the Must for Rust," which I bought at KMart. Phosphoric acid is what I use to get the rust out of old motorcycle gas tanks.
I poured in about 1/3 of the bottle, and used a brush that looks like an extra big toothbrush to wipe off the insides. Then, I used a tool that I got at Home Depot - its like an awl (a pointed tool) that has a 90 degree bend at the end. You need this to scrape away the deposit that is where the bottle says "full" on the side. Swish the fluid around, and the bottle will come out nice and clean. Reinstall by sliding the bottle into the bracket, replace the battery tray and battery, and away you go! Now, when I look down there, all I see is a nice milky white bottle with very visible green coolant. satisfaction!

You guys might take a look at those little coolant hoses. Mine had been overlooked by a couple of mechanics who said they "changed the water hoses." They leak just like the big boys, and when they go, you might have to wait on Honda to order them. The replace all six of them takes a couple of hours. I used the screw-down clamps, and the next day retightened them.
Also, if your fast idle starts acting up, it might be the valve, or it might be low coolant. This past week it was low coolant for me. In replacing two of the 4 hoses last week, I guess I had wiggled and caused another hose off the same manifold to crack, I guess it was ready to go anyway.