PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light

bigal004321
10-31-2005, 06:35 AM
this probally has been talked about all the time but i couldnt find it any where.... please dont flame me...

but anyway i got the check engine light... is it pgm something or other..... how do i check this there is something with a red light and count how many it times it blinks? its under the driver seat right? the ecu that is is that where the light would come from?

DBMaster
10-31-2005, 08:52 AM
No flaming here! :)

Move your driver's seat all the way forward. Look under it from the back seat and you will see a flat-ish plastic box with a little "hatch." Pull open the hatch and you will see the red LED. With the ignition on it will blink a number of times, pause, and repeat. Count the blinks and then post again. One of us with a shop manual will tell you what it means. There is probably a post that lists the codes. You might try a search for that under "ECU codes," or something like that.

L8R

bigal004321
10-31-2005, 09:31 AM
yea i have the list of what every code is i just didnt know how to find the light... thanks

DBMaster
10-31-2005, 11:09 AM
No problem. Let me know what it turns out to be. I have one of those myself now - code 12 - EGR System. I have an EGR solenoid and CVC valve on order to fix it.

AZmike
10-31-2005, 11:21 AM
No problem. Let me know what it turns out to be. I have one of those myself now - code 12 - EGR System. I have an EGR solenoid and CVC valve on order to fix it.

Let us know how the repair goes. I have an intermittent code 12, but none of the parts failed the test proceedures.

bigal004321
10-31-2005, 02:09 PM
yea mine turned out to be code 12 as well... i dont get it all the time just some times... its just for emissions things so im just going to say the hell with it!

DBMaster
10-31-2005, 03:26 PM
Search under my user name and you can see my current string about the diagnosis of my code 12. I imagine the process is very similar on the carbed engine. The parts I ordered cost over $160 online, but you might find them in a junker for a lot less. I can afford to pay for things now and then because the car gives me very little trouble an i just bank my monthly "car payment."

My understanding is that you will not pass the NOx emission test with a faulty EGR system.

Later!

SteveDX89
10-31-2005, 05:22 PM
Hahaha. EGR's are for suckas. :D

Until I get owned by emissions. :(

bigal004321
10-31-2005, 06:42 PM
i dont get tested for emissions here in ny... so thats why im saying the hell with it... 95 and above year cars get tested here thats it... glad to have an older car...

DBMaster
11-01-2005, 07:36 AM
Hmmm. I guess social responsibility is for "suckas" too. Considering that the system does not harm mileage or performance and dramatically reduces Nitrogen Oxide emissions I guess I will fix mine. I DO get tested and that is mainly due to the nasty smog problem that has developed here over the years due to a proliferation of gas hog vehicles sitting in traffic all the time.

Just count yourself lucky you live in an area where the air is still pretty clean. If it got to be nasty like here they would start testing old cars, too.

SteveDX89
11-01-2005, 09:21 AM
Hmmm. I guess social responsibility is for "suckas" too. Considering that the system does not harm mileage or performance and dramatically reduces Nitrogen Oxide emissions I guess I will fix mine. I DO get tested and that is mainly due to the nasty smog problem that has developed here over the years due to a proliferation of gas hog vehicles sitting in traffic all the time.
Just count yourself lucky you live in an area where the air is still pretty clean. If it got to be nasty like here they would start testing old cars, too.

FYI, where I live is in the top 25 in the U.S. of dirtiest air and my car requires emissions testing if it's driven over 5000 miles per year. However, since an EGR system is not available for me, there's not much I can do about it.

DBMaster
11-01-2005, 09:53 AM
Steve,

Can you clarify? Do you mean you have one of the models made without and EGR system?

I guess I am just weird about this stuff. My opinion (and you know what they say about those) is that emission controls should be maintained. Maybe that comes with being a parent. I admit to having installed a test pipe on an old 79 Bonneville for my dad back in the 80's. That was back when catalytic converters plugged up and screwed up everything and they cost a lot more to replace than they do now. On this car I pretty much operate by the philosophy of fixing everything properly so I can continue driving with no problems, mechanical OR legal.

bigal004321
11-01-2005, 12:52 PM
yea but mine is just for the winter and i could care less about our world.. we will be in space soon lol im jk... but yea im not too worried about it

SteveDX89
11-01-2005, 05:42 PM
Steve,
Can you clarify? Do you mean you have one of the models made without and EGR system?

Please see my cardomain page. All will be clarified then.

DBMaster
11-01-2005, 10:52 PM
All is clear now.