PDA

View Full Version : Reset button for headlights??

3gn86lxi
10-31-2005, 08:55 AM
Hey guys
Is there a reset for the popups?? I did my HID's this weekend, and my lights were up when I unplugged the battery, now they won't go down.
I can manually roll them down, and when I turn the lights on they come back up o.k. they just won't go down.
I checked the fuses and they are cool, could I have messed the switch up somehow?
Thanks.....

SteveDX89
10-31-2005, 09:59 AM
No reset button as far as I know. Are the motors even attempting to turn when you turn the lights off?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
10-31-2005, 10:10 AM
Are you sure you don't have the dash switch pressed in for the headlights to stay up? Did you disconnect the light motors at all? Pull any fuses while installing HIDs?

HondaBoy
10-31-2005, 01:30 PM
not that i know of any way to reset them, besides disconnecting the battery, but did the little light on the display show? there's a light in the car diagram thing that shows when the doors are open that warns of the headlights messing up.

3gn86lxi
10-31-2005, 02:07 PM
Well, I had the button down to get the lights up, then disconnected the battery. They don't act like they will go down at all. BUT when I manually crank them down, they pop back up with no problems.
So I am kindof stumped. Checked all the fuses, and eveything.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
10-31-2005, 05:53 PM
Try putting the lights down, resetting the button on the dash to the closed position, and disconnecting the battery. Then reconnect the battery. Perhaps the headlights will reset this way. Check the shop manual for a detailed schematic of the headlight motor operation. It might explain what you are experiencing. Good luck!

lostforawhile
10-31-2005, 07:41 PM
wierd, the only thing i could think of is somehow a voltage surge fried the headlight control. there is a little gray box under the dash somewhere. it will say stanley retractable contol. this is the box that controls the position of the light motors. if it's bad you can get one from any three g at a junkyard. it just unplugs and a couple of small bolts. I can't remember where it is off the top of my head. anybody? the other thing is something broke in the dash switch, that might be causing the lights to be stuck up. the switch thinks it's on. I'll send you one for a few bucks plus the shipping, I know i've got several. oh the prelude with the pop ups will have the same one. actually any honda product with pop ups from this area has the same system. stanley of japan made all the motors and controls for all honda popups.

3gn86lxi
10-31-2005, 08:24 PM
Thanks guys, I'll try the battery thing.
Tim, if I end up needing one, I'll let you know. Thanks

lostforawhile
10-31-2005, 08:34 PM
cool,I'm not sure if disconnecting the switch would tell you anything,might still be the module. I'll have to look in my book to find where it is.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
10-31-2005, 08:39 PM
The headlight controller box is located on the driver side. You'll probably need to remove the plastic shroud in the footwell. I believe the box is in the antenna motor area.

gp02a0083
10-31-2005, 09:03 PM
the pop up switch in the dash has some kinda relay or something that retracts the lights

wprocomp
10-31-2005, 09:38 PM
theres 2 large relays right by the radiator attached 2 the core support,they will habe black covers over them-you might have blown those-mine stopped working and thats what the problem was-now they work spiffy

lostforawhile
11-01-2005, 04:01 AM
the pop up switch in the dash has some kinda relay or something that retracts the lights that litle gray box is the brains for the system, as old as the electronics are in it,it's really easy for a voltage surge to fry,the switch position of the dash switch just sends a signal to it.the system is supposed to be fail safe, if the control fails the ligts are supposed to go up,if they don't you can pull the motor fuses and crank them up by hand.

3gn86lxi
11-02-2005, 07:02 PM
Well I messed with the control box today and nothing immediately. But after a little bit of driving tonight, they finally went down after I turned to lights off.
So I don't know what I did, but they fixed themselves.
Thanks for the input guys.

lostforawhile
11-02-2005, 07:26 PM
yea i played with some switch guts and it looks like the inner part of the switch can stick, I'll bet this is what happened,it might have finally gotten loose after some movement of the car. That switch doesn't get used a lot so it might get sticky. I run my lights up a couple of times a week to keep the switch freed up.

Cant Stop
11-05-2005, 08:20 PM
could be a faulty connection when he switched out the lites , might have partially unplugged something.