PDA

View Full Version : Rear spoiler wiring

buster133
08-15-2002, 08:09 PM
I have ordered a OEM style 90-93 rear spoiler for my 89 Lxi coupe. I haven't recieved it yet, but I figured in the meantime I would ask a few questions. When hooking up the wires for the LED light, how does one hook up these wires. Do they get spliced in with the current third brake light, and if so does the regular light in the back window still work along with the light on the spoiler. I was looking through the Honda service manual and I discovered there is a connector hidden behind the right side wall of the trunk, right above the little storage area. Anyways, it's there if you needed to hook up a wiring harness for a trailer. Could the spoiler light be hooked up through these wires. in order to keep all of the regular brakes lights the way they are so that dumb brake light on the dash doesn't come on. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

YK86
08-15-2002, 08:13 PM
I hooked mine up to the brake light wires coming up the trunk lid. I forgot the wire colors but your manual should tell you.

buster133
08-16-2002, 06:09 PM
So you spliced into the brake wires on the trunk itself and not the third brake light in the back window. That does make more sense since you wouldn't have to run the wires from the spoiler all the way to other brake light. I am guessing you don't have any trouble with the brake light coming on in the dash panel up front. Another question, do these 4th gen spoilers make our trunks that much heavier, I am affraid I am going to forget and drop the trunk on somebody!

YK86
08-17-2002, 01:47 AM
No problems so far. As for weight, the one I got was VERY light and I think all OEM ones are light too. The one on my 86 (the shit universal one) is quite heavy but it's made of a totally different material.