PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plugs: anti-seize & torque wrench

w261w261
10-31-2005, 05:37 PM
I never used a torque wrench to install a spark plug, just relied on my "feel," and have never had a problem. This time, when I went to remove the plugs, the two outer ones (1 and 4) were a bitch to remove. Especially #1, which I had to put a 3' breaker bar on to get it moving. Now that scared me, I had visions of tearing up the plug in the hole, and then what? I had not put any anti-seize compound on the plugs either.

So I went to Sears and got a torque wrench, the smaller kind that is in the correct range for the plugs, which are 18 newton-meters. I also bought some anti-seize compound. When I went to install the plugs, I was surprised at how soon the wrench "clicked." I've always tightened plugs more. I guess I'm lucky that I didn't strip out some aluminum threads before.

Moral of my story: I'm a believer in torque wrenching plugs from now on, and using anti-seize compound as well.

Strugglebucket
10-31-2005, 06:15 PM
yeah, the manual says only 13lbs.

A18A
10-31-2005, 06:23 PM
Well you can just run your car on 3 cylinders anyways its just very loud (like a tractor) and very crappy. I've done it once but not on purpose, i just forgot to put in the plug

carotman
10-31-2005, 06:26 PM
Yeah. People ofter overtorque stuff. I'm always surprised on how soon the torque wrench clicks on stuff like oilpan gaskets, valve cover gaskets and sparkplugs.

I need to get the bigger torque wrench so I can do the suspension bolts properly.

w261w261
11-01-2005, 05:47 AM
I have a bigger torque wrench too, I use it for the wheel lug nuts. But recently I had a new upper control arm installed, and eventually I noticed a banging when I went over some potholes. Off came the front wheel, out came the shop manual, which said to tighten the inboard mounting bolt to, if I remember, 55 ft lbs. They had it at about 20 or less. Solved the problem, but I didn't get there immediately. What a pain. Anyway, my bigger wrench is the cheaper kind, with the indicator moving across a scale. If I had it to do over again, I'd get one with the twist settings, like my small one. It would also have helped in the close confines of the wheel well.