PDA

View Full Version : 170k: good time to replace half shafts?

w261w261
11-01-2005, 07:10 PM
I'm just about to drop off the car for my 3rd try with my revalved Bilsteins. The first was stock, and with the Eibach springs it was mucho bouncy. Then I bought another pair of Bilsteins, revalved to 100/300. Not quite enough, so I sent the original pair back to try again at 110/340. We'll see how they come out. At least we'll have a definitive answer as to one combo of springs/shocks.

While they have things apart in there, I'm going to have them press out the bushings on the upper control arms, which were installed by a previous (they're history) garage without lubrication and now have a bad case of the squeakies. Matter of fact, I think I'll have them take *all* the bushings out, lube them and reinstall. I *really* hate those squeaks!

Getting to my question: I noticed today that one of the outer drive boots is splitting. I've had the car since 10/2001, and 85,000 miles and 4 years later this is the only boot that's going. The others might be original. I'm not too surprised, as the guy that put the boot on uses aftermarket stuff too much, IMO. Considering the labor involved, and the fact that the mechanic will already have things apart in there, at least on the right side it might be better just to put an entire new driveshaft in. I'm wondering at 170k miles, aren't the c-v joints getting near the end of their lives? When you balance the labor to get the outboard boot on, to me it makes sense to do the whole thing, if that's what I'm going to be into within a year or two anyway (I put on about 21k per year).

BTW, the complete driveshaft from Majestic Honda is $133.00+ship. I assume that includes the boots.

Any comments? thx.