PDA

View Full Version : Cold air intake

89accordex4dr
11-02-2005, 04:10 AM
About 6 mounths ago i was experimenting and made a home-made cold air intake on my carby,what's too cold?
I would start the accord up in the morning and let her warm up, the temp gauge will go to half way as normal, but when i get going down the road, 5 minutes later the temp reads cold like its hasnt warmed up yet.
Is this bad or is this normal?

2drSE-i
11-02-2005, 07:17 AM
well that sounds wrong to me.....not sure tho

b8er
11-02-2005, 12:33 PM
sounds really wrong to me, unless you got some kinda super alien type cooling system im never seen/heard of, sorry i dont have more info

Strugglebucket
11-02-2005, 02:04 PM
cold air to the carb won't make the engine run colder. you're thermostat is probably stuck open.

89accordex4dr
11-02-2005, 03:27 PM
i'v got 50/50 anti-boil anti-freeze in the radiator,made up a funnel for horn cover and ran a 2 inch plastic hose inside the gard-panel that meets up to the factory intake and the new motor i got is only 2500kilometers old and my old thomostat been reconditioned cause it use to be an a20a2 and the a20a3 one is different.
It's got me stumped:dunno:

89accordex4dr
11-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Could bad wirering but I doubt it cause i "v got one of tho's multi earthing system, tested all of the wires in the engine bay loom and flush out the cooling system before I done the transplant then done the thomostat reconed.
I will take some piture's of it one day and give you guy's example of what i'v done:)

stat1K
11-02-2005, 05:17 PM
sounds like the thermostat is stuck closed/just plain broken... did you try actually feeling the engine, cus you can tell if it's cold...

gfrg88
11-02-2005, 08:30 PM
when im going down the road when its cold out my temp ussually goes down too, if im going full throttle, dont know why i do that, it ussuallly goes down almost all the way as if it wasnt warmed, but this only happens when its cool out, is this normal or might i have the same problem as him

89accordex4dr
11-02-2005, 08:52 PM
Me and my mate's start the car and up put our hand's on the radiator hoses and we can feel the thomostat open and like I said i'v reconed it and flushed the cooling system out when i done the transplant.
And yeah ,when the temp at night or on a cold day the temp gauge drops to cold really fast but when i pop the hood and put my hand on the tappet cover it's nice and warm like it should be.

l3aLLa
12-02-2005, 05:57 PM
well i can tell you this, my accord runs a quarter with my redneck cai. when warmed, and when your on the road doing 50 for a few minutes it drops completly untill your at an idle for a certain amount of time, its okay if your moving, your stat is probably out in the open making it read from the fresh air blowing the heat away from the engine, if you slow down or stop and it goes up your thermostat is fine.

lostforawhile
12-02-2005, 06:31 PM
thats normal,my entire cooling system is basicaly new,and does this. remember these cars have a huge radiator for a honda,just look at a modern civic for comparison,also the ac radiator has a higher cooling capacity. I'm not sure if you have seen a heater core out of the car,but it's freakin huge for a car this size. if you have the heat running i'll cool down the coolant in a hurry. just like a minature radiator. I've seen bike radiators smaller then the heater core in this car.

russiankid
12-02-2005, 06:52 PM
there is a temperature sensor under the carburetor at the back of the intake manifold, it could be working improperly, which may cause this

89accordex4dr
12-02-2005, 07:12 PM
I change the stat again and it's all good but when I hit a heavy fog my car missis and fart's around till i come out the otherside of the fog then we are all good again, got a k&n filter and what would cause this?

russiankid
12-02-2005, 07:21 PM
not enough air in the fog, dense air

lostforawhile
12-03-2005, 07:43 AM
not enough air in the fog?:bowrofl: have you cheched the efe plate under the carb? also have you modified any of the hoses that heat the intake manifold with coolant? this is caused by carb icing,no it doesn't have to be very cold,when the air is pulled through the venturi it drops by about 30 degrees, subtract this from the ouside air temp, the moisture in the air tends to collect on the inside of the venturi and freeze blocking off the jets, there are several systems to prevent this,one is the electricaly heated efe plate under the carb,another is the fact that the coolant heats the manifold and a another is the fact that coolant flows in the carb itself. the last one is the temp controlled air cleaner,if all the other ones are working properly it can run without the air cleaner system being on there.