PDA

View Full Version : pgm-fi from 91 Integra

getready
11-02-2005, 11:36 AM
So i wrecked my integra and bought an 88 accord dx. The integra is fuel injected, the accord is carb'd. The integra is automatic, accord is 5spd. So i want to take the fuel injection out of my integra and put it in my accord, but all the cables and such are different. My question is: are all the cables and harnesses and junk different because it is a) a different type of engine, or b) because the integra is automatic? Also, if i take the carb off my accord, will i get less fuel efficiency? I get 30miles+ to the gallon, in my integra i probably only got 25-29mpg. Anyways, thanks a lot for any answers, and thanks to 87accordlxi for making that simple how-to about carb to fi.

ICEMAN707
11-02-2005, 12:01 PM
it will take alot of work but it's feasable. b-series intake manifolds can fit the a20 with some drilling of 2 holes. but you would have to transfer ALL the wiring and ECU from the teg to the 3gee to make it all work. not to mention you have to have a fuel injection fuel pump, the fuel tank, but lines should be ok. but i hope you are good at wiring. at least you would be able to have a better ECU setup than an Fi 3gee if you pull it off. would be nice to see what a b-series fuel management system could do to an a20 block. you'd be 1 step closer to have better fuel management for turbo in the future.

b8er
11-02-2005, 12:32 PM
very well put iceman

ICEMAN707
11-02-2005, 09:36 PM
yeah i forgot about the distributor. need to figure out how to get that to work. best way is to see if you could use a 4gee accord dizzy instead. but those are crap and always have problems with the ignitors or rotors failing.

i'm still curious what a little swap in engine management can do to the a20 though. i think that's all it needs to wake it up. i mean it's got bigger displacement than most b-series and should make more power than 120hp out of 2 liters. need some head work too since it's SOHC, but it's got potential.

getready
11-03-2005, 06:34 AM
That's what i'm saying, iceman! It has better displacement than my integra. It'd be nice to get it all to work. You said i should be good at wiring...i'm not. My dad is though, he's been working on cars before the accord was ever even a car.

Is this a normal thing that maybe my honda/acura dealership could help me out with? or is this something that i'd have to go to inlinepro or vertex motorsports (i live in the washington dc area, va side) for them to help with.

I called honda yesterday because i wanted to know, but it seemed like the girl i talked to didnt know, either. All she kept "reminding me about" was the special honda tool that i'll need to do any of this. Anyway, me and my dad are both interested in swapping my integra stuff into my accord, and i'm especially interested to become fuel injected again.

P.S. in the event that i can locate all parts i'll need, and a shop/ my dad can wire it up: I'll have carb parts and other engine accesories, do you think people on here would want that stuff, or should i try to get rid of it on eBay or something? Heh, maybe i'll make a carb'd integra :rolleyes:

Iceman, cke, thanks for the help. b8er, thanks for the interest :)

getready
11-03-2005, 06:42 AM
Alright, so basically:

alternator (we havent figured out a good reliable one yet)
new ecu
b18a1 intake manifold (with drilled holes to fit)
fuel injection fuel pump
fuel tank

But the lines are ok? If you guys can think of anything else that i could get from the integra for my accord, that'd be cool too:rockon:

So yeah, i totally agree with you iceman, almost those exact words : all it needs to just wake up !"

I'm not an expert at wiring, but my dad is pretty good in all aspects of auto work, and he'll be helping me with it all next month, maybe a little into january. If we hit a snag or cant do a certain thing, is this a project that maybe the honda/acura dealership could help us with, or is this something that i'm going to have to take to one of the performance shops around here (the two i can think of off the top of my head are vertex motorsports and inlinepro. both have websites if you want to check them out)?

Thanks for all the help iceman, cke. and thanks for the interest b8er

ICEMAN707
11-03-2005, 08:12 AM
i dont think a honda dealership can help you with any of that. their job is to sell cars, not restore them. they would probably ask you to junk your car and buy a new one of theirs.

best way is to look up wire diagrams for the 91 teg and the carb'd 3gee. see if there are any wires you could match up and what need to be added since carb'd cars have missing wiring. hondas are usually pretty consistent with their wire colors in all their cars so it should be a bit easier. but since you will be using all the electronics in the teg anyways, only thing you really have to worry about the wiring is getting the speedometer to work since the 3gee's is cable driven and the teg is electronic. see if there is a way you could use the teg's instrument cluster instead. just make a custom housing for it to make it look clean. like installing an aftermarket stereo.

also you mentioned your teg was automatic, that cluster might not look right in a manual car, but it would be ok for now. if you can, find a manual one in the junk yard. after that, look up the "5spd swap" threads here in this forum to see how you could wire up the reverse lights and clutch safety switch. while you are at the junk yard, pick up a 91 teg manual ECU too, just to be complete, but not necessary if you are gonna change it to a much better one like hondata, crome, uberdata, zedyne, etc. for turbo in the future.

oh, by the way, b16 intake manifolds are better than the b18a1 you have. so pick up one of those too.

BTW, what's the redline on the teg? that's something you might want to consider since that ECU will make that a20 redline past normal manufacturer's spec. 3gees redline at 6300 rpm so make sure you never go past that or it could be harmful to the a20. im pretty sure the teg ECU has a higher redline cutoff. but once you get a custom ECU like hondata in there, you can tune that redline down to 6300 rpm.

SteveDX89
11-03-2005, 09:19 AM
The 2nd gen Teg does not have an electronic speedo. It's cable driven. This swap can be done, it will be more difficult as discussed. Basically, the mechanicals are the same as if you'd use Accord parts. The wiring is the biotch. I wouldn't even bother with the Teg wiring. Just add whatever wires you need in a separate subharness. Using the F22 dizzy as mentioned will be your best bet in this case. I highly doubt the B18 dizzy will bolt to the A20 head as easily as the F22. As far as the gas tank, I would think the Teg one will work. The top of it may be shaped differently so it might not nestle up to the bottom of the car like an Accord one would but you should be able to make it work. Luckily, the Teg fuel feed line comes into the engine compartment at the same place as the EFI Accord so that makes life easier. Overall, I think you can do this. Like I said, the wiring is the most difficult part. Good luck.

getready
11-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the answers :)

I talked to my dad about it, he's cool with it as long as i source all the parts needed and pay for it myself. We're going to do this around the first week of January, so that should be enough time to get all my questions out of the way, and get all the stuff i need, whether its from the junk yard or the net.

QUESTIONS

-Which ecu? I went to the Hondata website, they no longer make ecus for 91 integras or 88 accords. However, they say that they DO sell pr4 ecus for 92& 93 integras. My integra has a pr4, is this ok? Or should i go with hondatas pr4 with an s100 or something? My accord has a ph3 in case you guys wanted to know.

-Should i get an aftermarket b16 intake manifold? Or will a stock one from a junkyard or ebay be ok?

-Is the f22 my best bet for a distributor? ICEMAN says they're crap, and thats not the first time i've heard someone bitching about f22's heh. Are there any aftermarket ones that are better or stronger?

I think that's all the questions i can remember now...i may have forgotten some, if i think of any i'll post them. Thanks again guys :)

getready
11-03-2005, 12:10 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/2165000-2165999/2165114_1_full.jpg this is my accord ecu

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/2165000-2165999/2165114_3_full.jpg integra ecu

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/2165000-2165999/2165114_2_full.jpg accord engine bay

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/2165000-2165999/2165114_5_full.jpg integra engine bay

and i figured out my other question: My integra and accord gauge clusters are basically the same. The integra one even has an rpm gauge. Sooo, should i still change it out? Thanks guys.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/2165000-2165999/2165114_6_full.jpg here's the integra cluster

Accordtheory
11-03-2005, 01:00 PM
I didn't think the 91 integra was even obd-1. The newer ls intake manifold and accompanying setup is better, and simpler too. In my opinion, the fuel injection swap is not worth doing unless you end up with an obd-1 setup. Then, you can use things like uberdata, which I think is okay for tuning a normally aspirated car.

SteveDX89
11-03-2005, 03:14 PM
No, do not change out your cluster. Then you have the problem of mounting it, etc. The only reason that was suggested is because ICEMAN thought the Teg speedo was electric.

I think converting to OBD 1 will be a must here. I don't know of any dizzys that will bolt up that are OBD 0. Basically that means your Teg ECU is worthless. Sell it on eBay for 50 bucks and pick up an OBD 1 PR4 or similar. It doesn't matter which specific one because you will need to have it chipped and tuned. I don't think an A20 will be running at full potential on a DOHC B-series ECU. And for the record carbed Accords don't have ECU's. Good to see you researched Hondata systems. However, Hondata doesn't sell ECU's. They sell stuff to program chips for ECU's. Get whatever system that will work with the ECU you pick up and the best system you can afford.

Since your Accord motor is stock, an OEM B16 manifold will work fine. However, since VTEC manifold have short runners, you will lose some low end torque. It's best to use what intake manifold suits you. B18 manifold will keep the low end torque and start to sacrifice up near redline and B16 manifold will lose the torque but will be great at the top end. You most likely will never find a VTEC motor in a junkyard so if you want a B16 mani you'll probably have to buy it off eBay.

getready
11-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Wow, stevedx came and schooled us haha. Well thanks for the info, i was wondering if hondata really sold ecus or not, because all i could find was chips! Now you've cleared that up. I also did not know that carb'd cars dont have ecus.

Thanks also for the insight into the world of bseries intake manifolds, i'd rather have low-end power than top end, so maybe i should stick with the b18? Should i get a stock one or aftermarket one? What do you suggest in terms of the distributor? F22?

Thanks again guys

Accordtheory
11-03-2005, 06:30 PM
The stock FI a20 manifold falls off badly at the top end, making it garbage, so it's now between the ls style manifolds, b18a, b18b, skunk2, etc, for the mostly stock a20. The one you have, despite it being covered in unnnecessary garbage, might actually produce the most average hp, due to the a20's low ass rev limit. The b18b manifold has shorter runners and a more cylindrical plenum, and the skunk2 (b16 or ls) is the next step up, more like a type r clone, making serious, expensive engine modifications necessary to use it to it's full potential. But if you are going to rev or boost, I recommend the aebs typhoon over the skunk2 anyway.

The reason why I wrote earlier that the b18b manifold is better is than the b18a is I was thinking about it on the ls. The b18b has a slightly higher hp rating, and its manifold will produce slightly more upper rpm power. However, that may not matter on a stock a20. With obd-1, the b18b manifold is simpler, there aren't any of those stupid things hanging off it, so if you decided to keep your manifold with obd-1, you could remove most of that shit and make it clean.

getready
11-04-2005, 08:45 PM
http://www.aebsracing.com/products.pl?product=intake

I'm really interested in that aebs one you were talking about, it looks about right for what i want. i looked at skunk2 and the type-r IM's, and they were all for high rpms and all that jazz. plus, i think one of them have a different bolt pattern.

And thats kind of the question i have about the aebs: do i get the b18c5 or the b16a? You guys said the b18b is what i'm looking for.

The prices are awesome for this thing! Thanks for the info :)

Oh yeah: aebs also provides like headwork and stuff, which reminds me, what can i do to the a20 head? or is there a custom/made to order one (like these http://www.aebsracing.com/products.pl?product=racingheads ) that would would better for our cars?

SteveDX89
11-05-2005, 06:39 AM
http://www.aebsracing.com/products.pl?product=intake
I'm really interested in that aebs one you were talking about, it looks about right for what i want. i looked at skunk2 and the type-r IM's, and they were all for high rpms and all that jazz. plus, i think one of them have a different bolt pattern.
And thats kind of the question i have about the aebs: do i get the b18c5 or the b16a? You guys said the b18b is what i'm looking for.
The prices are awesome for this thing! Thanks for the info :)
Oh yeah: aebs also provides like headwork and stuff, which reminds me, what can i do to the a20 head? or is there a custom/made to order one (like these http://www.aebsracing.com/products.pl?product=racingheads ) that would would better for our cars?

Unless you are doing extreme internal mods, use an OEM intake manifold. The aftermarket ones excluding the Skunk 2's tend to have a plenum that's too large. Result = less power.

getready
11-05-2005, 08:15 AM
Alright this is i guess where it gets tricky. In order to really be able to mod it later, i want to convert to fuel injection. In order to convert to fuel injection, i have to change out the manifold, which, if i get an aftermarket one, i wont have to change it again later, if i wanted to get a better manifold, i would already have it. BUT, by using this aftermarket manifold, i'll lose power until i mod other things on my engine.

So, should i wait like stevedx says and get a 'performance manifold' later, and just stick with oem for now? Probably cheaper anyways right? So should i get type-r/ b18b?

It has come to my realization that there are infinite options for like any car...its almost just as hard to come up with an idea of what you want on your car as it is to actually do it, it seems :hs:
How did you guys come up with what you wanted to do? How did you guys pick which intake to use, or which header or exhaust, etc?? Just curious as to how your engine mods have evolved i guess.

Thanks for all the help guys

getready
11-05-2005, 09:41 AM
so the a20a3 is like for the se-i or lx-i or whatever? That'd be cool if my car came fuel injected- stock. Does the a20a3 flow significantly better? does it bolt right on( i'd assume so, but all the manifolds mentioned so far have needed holes drilled)?

Is it possible to mix and match parts in a "build" like this? could i take parts from the teg and then get parts from a f-i 3g accord that don't work from the integra? what about using the integra ecu with the f-i accord manifold and lines, accord gas tank (or modified integra one i guess), and an f22 distr. (since we cant figure out a better one)? Thanks guys, i'll check back tonight

Accordtheory
11-05-2005, 03:25 PM
of course you can mix and match parts..unless the state where you live is run by moronic commmunist rule loving ignorant cockblocking assholes like california! $800 smog tickets aren't cool.

Here's what I think you need.
a20a3 head, unless you're planning on running downstream injectors..the injected head has a differently shaped intake port to accomodate the injector's flow pattern. The carbed head won't work.
LXI fuel sytem, not necessarily the tank, I don't know. I ran the stock fuel pump at over 8 pounds of boost, it's good to over 200hp.
lxi engine harness and ecu harness, basically all the wiring to convert to lxi
obd-1 ls ecu (I don't know all the models, but I do know that the p75 is obd-1, that's what I have)
obd-1 distributor (f22 is supposedly the easiest to fit)
a stock type intake manifold, unless you plan on supporting mods to increase volumetric efficiency at high rpm, and you plan on using aftermarket rods so you can reliably raise the rev limit. Probably the Easiest to use would be the obd-1 ls unit. manifolds in my rough order of performance potential..obd-0 ls<obd-1 ls<type r<skunk2<aebs<victor x.

Now, to set it up after you've intalled all the plumbing, the IM, the injectors, and torn out all the old garbage and miles of vacuum lines, etc, you will have to add/change wires from the engine to the ecu. get the accord and ls factory service manuals, or at least the wiring diagrams. You'll have to add a couple wires for the distributor, you'll have to change the tps plug for the ls throttle body, use obd-1 saturated injectors and a jumper in place of the lxi resistor box, you'll have extend the wires to reach the newer style iac valve, the map sensor, and whatever else I am forgetting. obviously you won't be using egr, just throw that plug in the trash. It actually won't be that hard. I always encourage people to attempt this kind of shit, for the sake of learning (and so they'll appreciate the shit I build that much more..)

And then, you know what? once you're all said and done, you will want to hit yourself in the head for not swapping in the whole ls drivetrain! (well, 5spd drivetrain anyway). That is what you really should do, it is nice to have actual aftermarket support, and you already have a lot of the shit right in front of you. the a20 is a dinosaur compared to the all aluminum 16 valve ls. The .2l displacement advantage does not compare to the lack of a 2nd exhaust valve, and all you have to do to get another 30-40 hp is run an oil line, a couple more wires, the p28/p72 ecu, and a gsr/b16/type r head. aka ls/vtec.

getready
11-05-2005, 08:49 PM
That list isnt as bad as i thought it would be. it seems like most of the parts are in the lower price range, or i already have (?).

If you dont mind, could you list kind of a pro/con thing for this type of mod? And, more specifically, the pro/con of this exact setup (integra/accord mixed parts) vs. a normal f-i swap with all accord parts.

Thanks a lot :)

gfrg88
11-05-2005, 09:16 PM
ls/vtec 2.0:D :Owned2:

getready
11-05-2005, 09:55 PM
who's owned

Accordtheory
11-06-2005, 12:36 PM
A stock lxi/sei accord engine is pathetically slow. The stock accord engine with the obd-1 ecu, tuned, with an ls IM, moderately faster, but in my opinion, not worth it either unless boosted. The accord engine is not competitive with the integra b series engine, unless you take advantage of its inherently torquey design and solid cast iron block with a large amount of boost. It has a stronger structure than a b series engine, but can't rev or make power at high rpm without extensive mods. The b series has an open deck, and comparatively weak sleeves and bottom end. However, you can still put down well over 500 turbo whp with just pistons and rods on an otherwise stock b series. Basically the 1.8 b series is just a more performance oriented engine. It has a shorter stroke, 87.2 or 89mm for the gsr or ls, vs the a20's 91mm. It also has slightly longer rods, the end result being a redline of like 8.2krpm on the gsr, and the volumetric efficiency does not drop off like the a20 with the vtec head, resulting in between 170-195 (type r) hp vs. 110-120 for the a20. The primary rationale for putting an obd-1 computer on the a20 is to be able to take advantage of the many tuning options available for that computer so you can run a nice, large turbo.

Think about it, is it really worth all that work just to end up with an a20 that puts out maybe 140hp? No way..

getready
11-06-2005, 01:45 PM
I think you misunderstood what i was asking

I dont plan on swapping out my ls engine into my accord. I meant like list the pros and cons of using just the accord fuel injection and accord manifold and accord ecu, VERSUS using the integra ecu, integra intake manifold, 4th gen distibutor, etc.

The reason i ask is, because it seems like there'd be less problems with JUST accord parts, but it seems like it'd be a bit quicker and have newer technology by using accord/integra parts.

I'm not looking to swap anything right now, my motor is fine, its been taken care of, i dont rev it all day long or street race, i just want a more responsive motor with a little more "tunability" than a carb'd obd0 88 accord.

Does this make sense?

SteveDX89
11-06-2005, 05:48 PM
I think you misunderstood what i was asking
I dont plan on swapping out my ls engine into my accord. I meant like list the pros and cons of using just the accord fuel injection and accord manifold and accord ecu, VERSUS using the integra ecu, integra intake manifold, 4th gen distibutor, etc.
The reason i ask is, because it seems like there'd be less problems with JUST accord parts, but it seems like it'd be a bit quicker and have newer technology by using accord/integra parts.
I'm not looking to swap anything right now, my motor is fine, its been taken care of, i dont rev it all day long or street race, i just want a more responsive motor with a little more "tunability" than a carb'd obd0 88 accord.
Does this make sense?

The hardware is basically the same. Using Integra parts makes no difference than using Accord parts. Sure there are slight difference but nothing that's going to make a huge difference. Instead of buying all the Accord parts when you can use the Teg stuff, I'd just do that. OBD 1 is where all the tuning comes in. Not intake manifolds, etc.

getready
11-06-2005, 08:31 PM
So if its all in the ecu, then why isnt that the topic at hand?! :)
Should i get just any obd1 i can find, or is there a specific one that i should look for? An LS? GSR? Type R? Or does it not matter?

I think someone mentioned in one of the first posts in this thread that there are companies that make aftermarket ecus. Obviously not hondata as we learned earlier :rolleyes: heh

Thanks guys

SteveDX89
11-07-2005, 03:12 AM
I think converting to OBD 1 will be a must here. I don't know of any dizzys that will bolt up that are OBD 0. Basically that means your Teg ECU is worthless. Sell it on eBay for 50 bucks and pick up an OBD 1 PR4 or similar. It doesn't matter which specific one because you will need to have it chipped and tuned. I don't think an A20 will be running at full potential on a DOHC B-series ECU. And for the record carbed Accords don't have ECU's. Good to see you researched Hondata systems. However, Hondata doesn't sell ECU's. They sell stuff to program chips for ECU's. Get whatever system that will work with the ECU you pick up and the best system you can afford.

getready
11-07-2005, 07:47 AM
:Owned2:

again! by the same post! Ok, so all in all it doesnt matter...at all. Cool thanks a lot stevedx

Accordtheory
11-07-2005, 01:39 PM

That is correct. The stock accord setup is garbage. However, like I said, it is a lot of work to convert to obd-1 for just maybe 140hp. It's up to you. And that's with some add ons, and decent tuning.

As far as aftermarket ecu's themselves, that's not worth it for you. The AEM EMS is like $1400.

p75+uberdata=good enough

Accordtheory
11-07-2005, 01:42 PM
OBD 1 is where all the tuning comes in. Not intake manifolds, etc.
The stock accord intake manifold really is a weak link though, and should be upgraded..

getready
11-07-2005, 03:14 PM
alright so i'm buying a p75 off ebay right now. It seems like the ONE legitimate auction for an ecu, at the moment :)

next on the list is a new manifold :)

This site is awesome, thanks a lot guys. superhonda was so shitty when i asked for help on my integra a couple of times.

getready
11-10-2005, 07:46 AM
Just a little update, in case there is some interest still, in this project.

I got the p75 off ebay, i think in like 5-7 days i'm going to get a 'jdm' b18b intake manifold with fuel rail, injectors, and throttle body. I cant get it yet, because i just bought this ecu, but i will in a couple of days.

I also found a really good deal on an f22 dist., but again, i only had the cash for the ecu, but maybe i can get that along with the manifold, depending on my paycheck :)

I'm having trouble finding an a20a3 head. I searched ebay, to no avail, as well as the classifieds on here. If anyone knows of a good place to find one of these (My next stop was the honda/acura junk yard) online, or if anyone has one, let me know.

Also, last question: When i get my ecu, i'll be ready to chip it almost immediatly. Should i chip it myself with radioshack pieces, or should i bite the bullet and send my ecu to hondata or something? I'm not an expert at soldering, my dad is probably fine at it, but is this something that you all did with no problems? or did you send it in? I read this tutorial about chipping them yourself, and it looked like hondata is totally raping us, considering the price, and amount of ease it takes if you know what youre doing.

edit: i was just searching around ebay (if you cant already tell, i'm addicted to ebay) and found a brand new dist., and i'd like to know if its for the f22. "This auction is for a BRAND NEW Complete Distributor for the 92-93 Honda Accord 2.2L, and it is also a fit for the 92-95 Honda Prelude 2.2L (non-VTEC)." Same one? Part number is TD-52U, oem part number.

Ok, thanks a lot guys:rockon:

SteveDX89
11-10-2005, 09:29 AM
What's the point of buying everything you need when most of it is under the hood of a non-running car you already have?

As far as chipping, you can also just take it to an electronics store. As long as the guy can solder, he can do it.

The dizzy you found is for an F22.

Accordtheory
11-10-2005, 10:06 AM
I have a complete a20a3 head that I already ported out to match the b series manifold. The exhaust studs are fucked up though, they need need to be replaced and a couple need to be heli-coiled, but if you might want it, let me know

getready
11-10-2005, 02:12 PM
SteveDX: My original plan was to just use everything from the integra, but when i ran the plan by everyone, there was a lot of other ideas, so i figured if i do this, i might as well do it as well as possible the first time. Technically, i'm sure i could swap everything right out, but is that the best setup for my accord? I didnt think so, and it seemed like others didnt either, so i started sourcing other parts. Its not cheap, but its not like expensive either...better than an engine swap :hs:

Accordtheory: i'll take it. how much?

edit: stevedx: so i can just take the ecu to radioshack, give him the list of stuff i need, and he'll do it? that's hella easy, and i was thinking about sending my shit to hondata?? wow

SteveDX89
11-10-2005, 05:20 PM
stevedx: so i can just take the ecu to radioshack, give him the list of stuff i need, and he'll do it? that's hella easy, and i was thinking about sending my shit to hondata?? wow

No, you need to take it to a place that services electronics. I don't think Radioshack does that.

What are your plans for your motor? That will determine what kind of parts you really should buy.

getready
11-10-2005, 05:29 PM
well, for now, the plans are to convert it to fuel injection. Any turbo/supercharging plans will probably be a few months or more down the line. for now i'm going to convert to f-i, do some appearance things probably, maybe wheels are next, who knows. I do plan on modding and stuff, but for now this is all i have planned. Stevedx are you mad at me :ugh:

:)

SteveDX89
11-10-2005, 06:35 PM
well, for now, the plans are to convert it to fuel injection. Any turbo/supercharging plans will probably be a few months or more down the line. for now i'm going to convert to f-i, do some appearance things probably, maybe wheels are next, who knows. I do plan on modding and stuff, but for now this is all i have planned. Stevedx are you mad at me :ugh:
:)
No, I'm just trying to understand why you'd buy all the parts when you have them already. Buying a different OEM B18 intake manifold, injectors, etc. than what you have now will net you nothing except a thinner wallet.

Accordtheory
11-10-2005, 08:01 PM
all you really need is a b series IM/TB, obd-1 compatible injectors, (I don't know if the b18a injectors are, they are if there is no resistor box) and an obd-1 compatible distributor that you can fit into the a20a3 head. I just recommended the obd-1 b18b IM because it is simpler, cleaner, etc, but you could easily pull all the crap you won't need off your b18a manifold, and be just fine with that. But you know, time is money, and you can get some really good deals on ebay, so it's up to you..

getready
11-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Thats what i'm saying, the ebay stuff is so cheap it's kind of hard not to pass up better newer stuff. The original idea was to just take everything from the integra, but then i started shopping around for other stuff i'd need, and just saw cheap, better stuff on there... i dont know, since i could get the stuff cheap off ebay, why not get it? I could keep all the parts in the integra and just sell it as a parts car or something. It runs, if i can keep it running, it'd sell for more i'm sure. Then i could sell it and a) break even on my setup or b) buy more stuff for my car :)

Accordtheory
11-11-2005, 09:40 AM
yeah, a lot of people are in the market for complete b series swaps, at least where I live, in cali. I was one of them. I don't know about the rest of the car, but you could probably get some legit money for that engine, way more than enough to cover your obd-1 conversion.

getready
11-11-2005, 11:58 AM
I plan on moving back to cali sometime in the spring (school). Maybe i'll bring the engine with me :kekeke:

But yeah, people actually want b18a1's? Hm, b-series is b-series i guess. Selling the engine in bulk, or parting it all out, which would be better (for me, heh)?

gfrg88
11-11-2005, 08:14 PM
yeah everyone in cali wants a b series in a hatchback civic :werd:

getready
11-12-2005, 01:40 PM
haha, if anyone wants my b18a1, i'd like 375 plus shipping :)

Its complete, it has a new transmission, all that jazz. Its a good car. Just...wrecked.*cough*Automatic*cough*cough* :hsugh:

Accordtheory
11-12-2005, 01:56 PM
If I were you, I would just sell it complete, throw an ad in the paper and see what happens. I bet you can get 375+ shipping. I know like 4 or 5 people in my pathetic town who have b series crx's and civics.

getready
11-20-2005, 09:29 PM
update!

i recieved the p75 ecu in the mail today (finally). I'm going to go to this honda/acura graveyard in maryland sometime in the next couple of weeks to get the manifold and distributor and all other stuff. I plan on taking a week or so off in january to do the work. If i cant find the head at brandywine in maryland, i'm going to PM you accordtheory. I've been working a lot recently, getting a lot of money :rockon: I hope to have fuel injection soon.

Take it easy, happy holidays

getready
11-27-2005, 04:34 PM
i'm sourcing a distributor now. I've been looking for an f22, online mostly, i still havent found time to go out to the junkyard yet. The question is, can a 90-91 civic dist. work just as well as the f22? I read about some people using them as obd1 conversions, so i thought i'd run it by you guys first. Cool, thanks :)

oh yeah, what size injectors should i get?

SteveDX89
11-27-2005, 07:17 PM
i'm sourcing a distributor now. I've been looking for an f22, online mostly, i still havent found time to go out to the junkyard yet. The question is, can a 90-91 civic dist. work just as well as the f22? I read about some people using them as obd1 conversions, so i thought i'd run it by you guys first. Cool, thanks :)
oh yeah, what size injectors should i get?

90-91 Accord is F22. Stock 240 cc injectors are fine.

getready
11-28-2005, 03:31 PM
thanks stevedx, i know that f22s are 90-91 accords. i asked about 90-91 CIVICS, though. 240cc is stock injector size? Would 270 fit without a lot of modification? Thanks.

SteveDX89
11-28-2005, 05:49 PM
thanks stevedx, i know that f22s are 90-91 accords. i asked about 90-91 CIVICS, though. 240cc is stock injector size? Would 270 fit without a lot of modification? Thanks.

Hmm, for some reason when I read your post, it said 90-91 Accords. Anyway, the 90-91 Civic dizzys are similar to B-series. They won't fit. 270's shouldn't be a problem.

getready
12-03-2005, 02:02 PM
Hey guys, finally went to the junkyard today, i was very disappointed. It appears that distributors are hot items, along with a20a3 heads. I looked through more than 50 engine bays, all for 3rd gen accords and 2nd gen integras. Every single f-i head was gone, and every single 4th gen distributor was gone. Many, MANY carb'd engines intact.
Well, what i DID get, was a new radiator (pulled from an 89 accord)
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/2165000-2165999/2165114_22_full.jpg it's labeled as a performance radiator, and looks pretty damn cool.
I also got a passenger side mirror, which my car apparently didnt come with.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/2165000-2165999/2165114_23_full.jpg perfect match
I got this badass p75 off ebay (no harnesses or wires, though)
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/2165000-2165999/2165114_24_full.jpg
I also took the pioneer head unit and alpine speakers from my integra.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/2165000-2165999/2165114_25_full.jpg
The speakers fit into my integra via a perfect little bracket, but it wasnt so perfect in the accord, so i had to dremel the stock speaker mounts to fit. I did a damn good job, i think. The headunit fits well, too, i'll get pictures when i feel like it.
All in all, i think it was a somewhat successful and productive day :rockon:

getready
12-03-2005, 02:11 PM
I figure i'd also post a revised list of stuff i want/need for this swap (and stuff that i just want)

-a20a3 head
-f22 dist.
-ecu harness (complete)
-ignition (msd or some other aftermarket)
-b18b intake manifold
-all vacuum lines and all wiring
-fuel pump (aftermarket)
-270cc injectors (online)
-fuel tank (i think i can just keep the one i have, but i put it on the list anyway)

Thats all the stuff i really actually need Heres the stuff i want

-busted_blue's armrest (its blue!)
-shocks/struts
-wheels (13's or 14's, doesnt have to be namebrand, i'll probably paint them white)
-right tail light (crack must have happened before i bought it)
-Integra or newer honda turn signal switch
-short shift (preferably pace-setter, but i dont really care as long as its adjustable)
-maybe some new pedals or something

Thats my whole list, other than to touch up paint all the way around, and repaint my bumpers and trim black. And exhaust and stuff, but that's way down the line.

getready
12-03-2005, 05:29 PM
i'm getting a distributor, short ram intake, and ecu harness and a b18b intake manifold off ebay. wicked, i'm really close to sourcing all the parts!

Maybe i should make a new thread when i actually start doing the install, i think i've lost all you guys' interest, i must have taken too long to source the parts, heh.

getready
12-14-2005, 08:39 AM
short ram, and an extra centerconsole came today, the distributor will be here by the end of the week, as will the manifold...well maybe the manifold will be here early next week. I'm excited! After christmas, i'm going to buy one of the only cosmetic mods i'll do, that bumper, from sataniC. And probably convert to HID. After that, i'll be set for a month or two, then i might have enough for wheels and stuff! I'll post pics of my goodies later.

getready
12-20-2005, 11:12 AM
ecu harness came today, finally! Tons of wires, thats about it. theres even a part thats for off-road use only, i have no idea what the wires are supposed to connect to.
I have no idea where my intake manifold or distributor are, i guess they're still coming. Holiday Postal Service sucks, they need to hire everyone who's unemployed for the holidays, then my packages can get here sooner :)

getready
12-21-2005, 08:22 AM
The intake manifold came! It's about time, b18b from a 2000 integra. it has p75 stamped on it a couple of times..it matches my ecu!

Oh yeah, i also got a stock a20 ecu, too. I was thinking i could run the car on that one until my p75 is chipped and ready to go. What do you think? Bad, good? I could just run the stock p75, too, if i want. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO, but i'm seriously so close to being finished getting all the parts, its great. You should see my table, its covered in all this engine crap. I'm almost ready!

Pics when i'm not lazy

bobafett
12-21-2005, 09:33 AM
if u havenot bought one yet, i have a brand new in the box f22a external coil distributor (92-93 accord style)

i paid 111 shipped from distributor king thru ebay, but im not going odb1, 100 shipped. :)

gfrg88
12-21-2005, 08:42 PM
wait, boba your not going obd1?!?!

getready
12-21-2005, 09:15 PM
man where were you like a week ago?! heh, yeah i already have a dist. on the way, but thanks for the offer. I was scouring ebay for a week until i found a decent one.

bobafett
12-21-2005, 10:39 PM
well, for the time being, the plan is to team up with the justins and dial in a megasquirt setup. :) there is still a slim possibility of me going obd1, but at this point in time im putting that project on the backburner. i still have to get my motor finished and swapped in, running pj0 setup still. once i get that dialed in and get the car all happy, i will begin to start the management side of the process... for now i could use the money selling the dizzy to get my motor out of the shop lol...

Accordtheory
12-29-2005, 12:16 PM
Well, getready, it looks like you don't need the a20a3 head. I don't know, but carotman just wrote in another post that the heads are all the same. I don't know why I thought that they were different, I don't remember where I got that idea. If they really are the same, I am sorry for providing you with false information.

getready
12-29-2005, 12:35 PM
its ok man, i'm not pissed! But thanks for being honest, seriously

getready
12-29-2005, 01:48 PM
Since i havent really updated in a while, i thought i'd show you guys what i've collected so far.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/2165000-2165999/2165114_74_full.jpg
p75 ecu, ecu harness, shortram intake, extra filter, RADICON radiator, f22 distributor, b18b intake manifold, passenger side mirror

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/2165000-2165999/2165114_75_full.jpg
front and back seat covers (i work with dogs, they mess up my interior)

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/2165000-2165999/2165114_76_full.jpg
center console (i plan on customizing this a little, cupholders, ipod holder, eventually an armrest, and painting it)

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/2165000-2165999/2165114_77_full.jpg
group shot of everything

I still have a few parts to collect. I'm thinking about getting an msd blaster external coil, msd distributor cap, but i dont know if i need it. Maybe later. I'm also going to take the sway bars off an lxi i bought (sorry frankie, i want those sway bars :deal: ). I'm also looking to buy this dc sports 4-1 header, but its for an integra, so i'll hold out. I cant find an accord header for the life of me.

I'll update again when i have more stuff! Enjoy!