PDA

View Full Version : To keep the 3g, or not ???

86-accord-lxi
11-02-2005, 03:12 PM
Here's the deal,
I bought the car for $100 from my friends sister back in april,
I had her sign the title over, and got it noterized. I lost the title
and just found it the other day, It was burried doen in the couch.
The tag on the car is from april 04, so It's going to be somewhere around
$400 to get it tagged and get a title in my name. So far the 3g has only been driven around the neighborhood. I pulled of the rear brake drums, and
found that one of the springs on the passenger side had somehow broke of and on the drivers side there was a broken metal bar thingy, (not sure what part it is). I was inspecting them because my parking brake does not work,
and I kept hearing this scraping noise from the driver side rear wheel.
It has an automatic transmission that needs an overhaul. The engine sounds
and runs good. The girl I bought it from had recently replaced all belts, including the timing belt, they look brand new. Im not sure If she replaced the water pump while having the timimg belt replaced, but It all works.
There is minor rust forming above the rear wheel wells, and when I open
the sunroof, there is rust around the inner edges, when it's closed you cannot see it. The muffler has holes in it, I think the valve guides, and
piston rings need replacement (not desperately) There are minor dings
and scratches all around, but nothing major. basically It can be saved,
and can be a nice 3g, but I have a $340 ticket to pay from an accident
I was in, and the 3g needs new tires all the way around. It would cost me
tires: $200 all 4
brakes: $400 front and back with new fluid and master cylinder
ticket: $340
tag/title: $400
transmission: $400 ( $90 IF I overhaul it myself )
engine: (all new gaskets) : $80
headlight motor: $50 (driver side headlight motor needs replacement)
muffler: $150?
about: $2020 total for me to get the 3g driveable and legal.
My parents said they'd cover the insurance.
Should I keeep it ,get a job, and put down the money, or just
save the $2020 and get something that doesn't require so much work
and something that has an up to date tag????????????

AccordDX86
11-02-2005, 03:21 PM
It's really up to you. I'd probably save the money and buy something different, just because it does need a lot of work just to be put on the road. If you really love the car and the styling, then I suppose you already have the answer you're looking for. Just sounds like a lot of money.

frankie89
11-02-2005, 04:18 PM
save the money and buy another 3g:lol:

speedpenguin
11-03-2005, 02:15 PM
we get these "should i keep my3G" threads every once in a while i've posted one myself. the answer always ends up being the same. it really depends on how much you like the car. i've already sunk over $1500 into mine, and that's just in the past two months. it still needs a lot more work before i'd even call it driveable. to me it's worth it.
i'd say if you're going to stick with it you should have a plan on what exactly what you want to do with it. if you want to mod it, figure what direction you want to go in, etc. what it all boils down to is this: if there's something you like about that car specifically that you don't feel you could find in another car, then is that thing worth $2200 to to you?

DBMaster
11-03-2005, 06:13 PM
The thing to ask yourself - at least when I perform this exercise - is what will it cost you to have a reliable car? Compare that to the cost of payments, etc. In my case I can well afford a new car, but this one has been wonderfully reliable for over 16 years which is more than you can say for a lot of brand new vehicles. If I have to sink a few hundred bucks into it every now and then it's no problem compared to $350 plus every month for a car payment. Plus, this thing no longer depreciates. I put the money into a money market fund so that if something stupid happens my next car may be paid for in advance. A car is a money pit or a fun toy at best. As a homeowner I am better off spending money on the house. At least that increases its value and my enjoyment. As far as the car goes, as long as it is clean and the stereo and A/C works I am good to go.

Want to know something funny? People (including women) are more impressed that I have such a nice old car than if I just sunk money into a new one. Go figure.

lostforawhile
11-03-2005, 06:29 PM
heres a question to answer your one,I've spent enough money on mine over the years to buy a new one today,and not a base model, but i will keeep fixing it,why? theres your answer.

DBMaster
11-04-2005, 07:57 AM
Hmmm. Because it is more of an accomplishment to keep this one on the road than to pay for a new one? :)

lostforawhile
11-04-2005, 03:36 PM
the same reason people spend more fixing old airplanes then buying a new one, it's got character,and i did everything myself,I hate the new cars that all look like each other, just different colored jellybeans thats all. and the new ones you can't even hear the engine for crying out loud. If i wanted to drive a super quiet heavily insulated no brains auto transmission,antilocked brake,idiot proof traction control car, I would but i like my little hatchback sports car thank you!!

LiTtLe xOx BitT
11-04-2005, 04:19 PM
I would keep it. And it all depends on how much you know about the car for your prices to vary. I paid $20 for a new stock muffler not $150, and for a headlight motor go to the junkyard and get it for like $5 not $50. Brakes shouldnt be $400, i paid a little more than $100 for All new pads, rotors and drums but the master cylinder and you can get a remanufactured one from $60 to $150. Thats like $200 not $400. Right there your costs went down a lot. If you know how to rebuild the tranny then do that and it will be cheaper. And ive found 4 new tires at the junkyard and paid $10 a tire, so if you do that its $40 not $200. Right there if you do the trans yourself you get all the things they way i said you will only spend like $1250. All you have to do is shop around and remember your on a budget, dont go to pepboys or any other place and buy everything brand new, thats not always necessary.

DBMaster
11-04-2005, 07:55 PM
Lost,

It is funny to hear you describe these cars like antiques. When I got this car in '89 it seemed so advanced compared to my 72 Pontiac Catalina. I felt that way about that car which I got from my parents in 1980 and kept until 1990. It just had such a bad case of automotive cancer (aka rust). I agree completely about this car, though. I have not yet reached my upper limit on spending to keep it clean and roadworthy.

lostforawhile
11-04-2005, 10:27 PM
uh mine is 86,that means in a couple of months it'l be 20 years old, it is fast becoming an antique. I know a lot of people who weren't even born when it was made. wait that makes me an antique. :uh: cripes I was a teenager in the 80's,I went to bon jovi concerts and def lepard concerts.

DBMaster
11-05-2005, 07:57 AM
Well, don't feel too badly. I turned 40 just a few months ago which means I was just a little past my teenage years in the 80's. I saw Sam Kinison on stage and I was watching the Challenger blow up on live TV. I seem to own a lot of things that predate people I know. I have a dog and a car that were around before my teenage daughter was born. So, the best is yet to come!

lostforawhile
11-05-2005, 08:42 AM
http://www.scottrosenthal.com/images/me/Sam%20Kinison.jpg:sadwave:

Lok
11-05-2005, 11:34 AM
the same reason people spend more fixing old airplanes then buying a new one, it's got character,and i did everything myself,I hate the new cars that all look like each other, just different colored jellybeans thats all. and the new ones you can't even hear the engine for crying out loud. If i wanted to drive a super quiet heavily insulated no brains auto transmission,antilocked brake,idiot proof traction control car, I would but i like my little hatchback sports car thank you!!

I totally agree with you.
All the new cars looking the same crap and are all full of electronics devices..........
Accord 3g still looking very aerodynamic and it is (Cd=0.32), has a superb suspension (no need at all of all that electronic crap, the new cars are using to stay at the road), king of reliability, and very good engines and very good power/weight ratio.....(almost 200kg lighter than the new 2.0L models).
Also if you tuning right one Accord 3G then you can have a very fast and competitive car.
I can't find a reason why we must change our cars???? I hate all the news.............personally I stay 3G for ever.
I keep my father's car as stock as posible, then I'll buy next year an other Accord 3g using it as a project car.....

88accordhb
11-05-2005, 11:45 AM
any pics of the sister???

DBMaster
11-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Agghhhhh, agghhhhh! Is that an LP cover? LP's are one of those things I don't miss much. I sure love my mp3 player! Plugs right into the jack on the front of my CD deck and let's me take my whole CD collection on the road.

speedpenguin
11-05-2005, 06:59 PM
I was watching the Challenger blow up on live TV.
that was the year i was born!
but, hey , just because my 3G is only three years younger than i am doesn't mean i don't love it every bit as much. i just figured out i have to completely rewire the taillight circuit. that's dedication for you

DBMaster
11-06-2005, 07:42 AM
In what city did you see Sam? I saw him live in Dallas at the Bronco Bowl in 1988. The people in the row in front of me were passing around a doob. Couldn't ask for it because my then fiance was opposed to all illegal drugs. :)

"It's like a bad grilled cheese sandwich! It's coming apart in my hands! It's like a MUMMY'S pussy!" Gotta love Sam.

1ajs
11-06-2005, 11:40 AM
dude you can get some of the parts you need from bucks the reocrs in transcona bye kitchen craft theres always 2 or 3 3geez out there. www.bucksautoparts.com

86-accord-lxi
11-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Well, I found a complete engine gasket and seal set for $50,
and a complete auto trans master overhaul kit for $80, and a complete
detailed manual that tells you how to overhaul the trans for $16.
$146, Should I ??? The only problem with the engine is valve cover
leaking oil, and I the valve stem seals are worn out so the car smokes
for 5 minutes or so after starting it when it has sat more than one night.
for $146 I could do myself what would cost a lot more If I had a mechanic
do it. I feel confident and comfortable that I can do these jobs myself,
but I still have the cost of the title and tags. If only there was some way
to change the date on the title. It will cost me quite a bit because the title
was signed and noterized November 22 2004, and the tag is from april 2004.
The late fees are maxed out on the title, and I have to buy 2 tags since
It is from april 04. That pisses me off because I did not own the car until
november. It's not my fault the tag was out of date when I bought it,
Why should I have to pay for it? Oklahoma has some crappy laws when It comes to owning a car. Not that I want to get out of paying for the title
change and a new tag, but I lost the title unilt just recently or I would have already taken care of that. I was thinking maybe I could take some pictures
of the car when I pull the trans and the head, and show them at the tag agency, I could tell them that the car needed a trans and head when I bought it and that I bought it thinking I was only going to use it for parts,
then I bought a trans, and a head and got it running and that's why I didn't
title and tag it when I bought it. I had the girl I bought it from just write
$5 in the blank space on the title where it says "selling price". I did that
Because my uncle told me that would keep me from having to pay a lot
for taxes and such. Have any of you guys done stuff like that? Or am I
a total con artist here? Im 17 and just want to have wheels, you know?
I wish I was born back in the day when You didn't have to go through
so much crap to get a car on the road. What would happen If I told them I lost the title? Would it be less or more expensive?

speedpenguin
11-07-2005, 04:12 PM
regardless of which would be cheaper, you should always have a copy of your title. you never know when you're going to need it. it's like losing your birth certificate.

jman123
11-10-2005, 09:49 AM
I say go for it!

That smoke when it starts is probably just the oil from your leaky valve cover gasket onto the exhaust manifold - $8.00 to replace - and super easy. My LX vc gasket leaked/smoked real bad until I replaced it...now I only have 2 other small leaks that I'm not worried about - hey its 16 years old, almost all cars leak some at that age.

As with all things, SHOP AROUND! There is always a cheaper price somewhere - you just have to have some patience. Fast is never cheap.

Junkyards are the best place to find stuff..or just ask the guys on here...I've gotten lots of stuff for mucho cheap.

I am just about the start the big swap o' rama - picked up a 89 LXI that will give me all of the body and interior parts I need to make my 3G sweet.

If you feel confident, have basic mechanical skills and a brain - you should be able to do most of the work yourself. I haven't done much auto work (I'm a computer guy) but you do want you can, research, ask for help, and eventually learn a new skill. I've learned alot from this site, and tinkering around.

No one here was a mechanical guru from birth, we all have tinkered, tried, and learned. It takes some time. Just being on this board and reading up is more than 99% of the population will do in regard to their cars.

Cant Stop
11-13-2005, 06:04 PM
sucks dude here in florida the late fee for a title is maxxed out at $10
as for a keeper if it makes you happy who cares i bought mine from the boss' mother for $300 and have sunk just a couple hundred into it needs cv's but is still drivable and o ya need to replace the radiator it has some small cracks and is full of red water.
plus i just removed the blackbox today runs fine
i need to tweak it some but will drive it to work tuesday

86-accord-lxi
11-13-2005, 10:27 PM
I have decided to keep the 3g. I got a complete engine gasket set
from fel pro for $55 brand new, and also got an f4 automatic transmission
overhaul kit. I will most likely just get a working transmission from a
junk yard. One of my friends and my mom's foinse are going to help with
the projects. We will be starting the day after thanksgiving. The engine doens't need all the gaskets, just the valve cover gasket, but I am going
to be pulling the head to replace the valve stem seals so I might as well
replace all gaskets while I have it all apart. I am hoping to find an sei
while Im out at the junkyard. If so I am gonna snag all the sei goddies that
I can.

lostforawhile
11-14-2005, 03:15 AM
you don't need to pull the head to replace the valve stem seals,you can use an air holding tool,and a spring compressor, make sure you block off the oil holes in the heads with something like rags,in case you drop anything,and use a magnet to pull the retainers out after you compress the spring. it took me about three hours to do mine but i was being very tedious.

Cant Stop
11-14-2005, 05:26 AM
air holding tool?
pressurize the cylinder forcing the valves up so theydont fall in hmmm cool.