PDA

View Full Version : Can I replace front stuts on my own?

redrooster
11-02-2005, 08:53 PM
Is it pretty easy to do (I have access to a good shop)? I don't want to waste a few hundred bucks getting them professionally replaced.

EricW
11-02-2005, 09:17 PM
Yes, its pretty easy to do assuming that no bolts are frozen in place and you have a spring compressor.

mkymonkey
11-02-2005, 10:07 PM
i think there is a how to somewhere in this site....ill look for ya...

Busted_Blue
11-02-2005, 11:33 PM
you just need a spring compressor. can rent one from your local auto parts store.

Unbolt the top 3 bolts (14mm) and lower control arm bolt (17mm) (end of the pinchfork) and loosen the pinchfork bolt (14mm) and undo the brake lines ( 12mm) and you can take out the strut spring assembly and use the spring compressor and then get a pair of pliers to hold it while you get a 10mm (i think) and loosing the top hats. Then remove it all and take out the strut and reverse order!

hyongel
11-03-2005, 03:31 PM
I'd like to do this job, but the last time I tried, I couldn't find a spring compressor that would fit the front struts. Does anyone have a brand & model that works? I've used search, and whenever people ask, the answer is something like: well, I got one at a local auto parts place a few years back that worked ... which doesn't really help if you need to find one yourself.

TIA.

Hyong

T-Funk
11-04-2005, 11:23 PM
powerbilt makes one that barely fits with a little wiggling and patience
unfortunately every auto parts store around here has replaced the good kind with those
i liked the kind that had c-shaped pieces that you fit around the coil and then connected with nuts through the bracket

halxi
11-05-2005, 05:26 PM
ghetto spring compressor

i stood on mine while i held the piston of the strut with pliers and losend the bolt with a 10mm open end wrench, worked fine. Then i used the weight of the car to compress the spring and tighten the cylinder/piston.

No performance loss from what ive noticed, and everything rides fine.