PDA

View Full Version : spring compressor for front struts

hyongel
11-03-2005, 04:16 PM
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been answered before, but search didn't come up with anything useable. :sad2:

I need to swap out the front struts on my '88 lx soon, and I'd like to know if there is a spring compressor (brand & model please) that is known to work on those tight coils. Last time, I couldn't find anything (tried 3 different models) and ended up taking it to a shop. This time, I'd like to replace some of the other hardware in the assembly so I need to do it myself.

I need a specific brand and model so I can go out & find it.

TIA.

Hyong

NXRacer
11-03-2005, 05:54 PM
i've made the one you can rent from autozone work. The one i used has 2 claw/hook things that slide between the coils. Its a tight fit, but you should be able to get them in there and cinched down. You only need to tighten the clap just a little bit so you can get the tension off the coils. Also, i think you're SUPPOSED to use 2 on each spring, but i was able to get em off with just one.

Another thing you might try is taking out the whole strut/spring assembly as one piece and try to get it apart like that. I bought one from the junk yard like that and i just took it to a tire shop and they disassembled the thing for me for free.

hyongel
11-04-2005, 09:44 AM
Hi Caleb,

Thanks for the information. I'll try the autozone again, it may be that different stores have different models of compressor to rent. I did notice that the one I tried at Murray's Discount Auto Parts was able to hook up one of the two sides, but not both at the same time. I did really want to take it apart with only one of the two rods hooked in because of all the near death experience stories I've read here and elsewhere.

Hyong

Patrick88Lxi200K
11-04-2005, 01:05 PM
I've used the type your refering to from Autozone and Murray's as well.
This method works great.
Take the spring compressors apart.
Insert the first end for the top by itself in the widest space between coils of the spring. (Pretty much the middle)
Slide the end around and around to the top as far as it will go.
Insert the second end for the top the same way and slide it around one half coil less.(other side of spring).
You have to slide both top ends up far enough or you won't have room to angle the bottom ends in.

Use the same method for the bottom ends. Install them in the middle and slide around to the bottom.

Line up the ends and thread the compression screw through.

Tight fit and takes a little while, but it works.
Use the same method to take off.

Patrick

11-14-2005, 12:24 PM
Everyone asks this question. Too bad there's not a "how to." I think there is, but it was a custom, wood design, which many people wouldn't take the time to build. I found a seet of spring compressors online for $20 or so which have more clearance for the front springs. The rears can be done with the rectangular compressors from autozone, etc. The ones I bought don't have the "square" edge on them and in theory will curve/slide into the spring instead of having to pry them apart, which is really a hassle. Haven't tried them yet. Hopefully it's forged metal, but it should be strong enough anyway. Any compressor is better than none I figure and steel usually bends rather than fail catostrophically. If it's cast, that might not be true. Good luck!