PDA

View Full Version : fuel stabilizer, and 'storage'

newaccorddriver
11-03-2005, 08:19 PM
currently my car is going through a 5 speed swap, its been out for the past 3 months or so(i took my time to do the swap). currently winter is setting in and im not going to drive it any time soon. is there a point in pouring some fuel stabilizer in there when technically im not storing it?

im guessing that using old fuel is not good for the car as it would probably cause me to stall alot, instead of draining it, or having to pour fuel stabilizer in(kinda late for that im guessing), can i just run the car until its fuel tank is burned up?

carotman
11-03-2005, 11:04 PM
can i just run the car until its fuel tank is burned up?

Yup that's what I do all the time. I store my car for the whole winter and I just drive it out of the storage place. If you're worried about old fuel, you would put octane booster in it once you get to drive the car again.

Cant Stop
11-05-2005, 08:14 PM
yes go to lowes and buy some stabilizer in the lawn mower section
what it does is help stop the break down of the gas which leads to varnish in the tank,as the gas evaporates it leaves brown deposits in everything.
trust me stabilizing the gas will save you grief later especially if your project gets delayed. my roommate has had his vw stored for several months with new gas and it has broken down again( he never cleaned the system properly the first time)

newaccorddriver
11-05-2005, 10:32 PM
cant i just put a fuel system treatment in the system and run it empty and then refill? the ones i see get rid of varnishes

Cant Stop
11-07-2005, 10:54 AM
ya you could do that