PDA

View Full Version : No 5th gear. Could it be linkage?

PhyscoDboy
11-04-2005, 02:29 AM
I got this 2 door LX-I cheap. Anyway I got it runnin today(I put in a new starter and did a tune up) and I found out that theres no 5th. 5th is pretty much the same as neutral, I mean the tranny feels good. It shifts smooth and is quiet but theres just no 5th. Also I noticed that its completly GUTLESS before 2300 RPM, I think this may be a backpressure issue because I have no muffler. And I know im gonna get yelled at for this but wheres the filler and drain plugs on the 5 speed tranny??:uh:

AccordNut
11-04-2005, 07:34 AM
sounds like my car when i first bought it, also had no 5th. i took it to a honda/acura expert and he fixed 5th for $250. but if you wanna keep the car a long time i suggest getting a new tranny all together. i wound up doing both cause a few years later 5th went out again. not sure where the drain plugs are but the manual online should show you

kcaudill
11-04-2005, 07:43 AM
Mine went out too. The Honda guru said that it went because of a engineerng design flaw. If the oil level of the manual trans gets low, it will expose the 5th gear to a no oil situation. After time 5th gear will destroy itself. The Honda guy said that you must get a rebuilt tranny, I found a rebuilt one for $850. If you continue to drive it, all those 5th gear shavings will float arounf and chew everything eles up.

A20A1
11-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Also I noticed that its completly GUTLESS before 2300 RPM, I think this may be a backpressure issue because I have no muffler.

Its not a backpressure problem.

Do a tune up.
Clean Fuel System; replace fuel filters.
If the cars been sitting it might be old gas.

Check your Ignition system; timing, sparkplugs, wires, cap & rotor.

Check your Valve clearances
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=39319

Make sure you don't have vacuum leaks... a vacuum leak will affect your engine performance, at idle speed and up into the 2,300 rpm range.

racerx
11-04-2005, 11:01 AM
your 5th gear probably has no teeth left.

this happened to halxi, and we replaced his whole tranny. you don't need to do that, but we went ahead anyway cuz his other gears were fubar'ed too.

when we took the tranny end cap off, we could see plainly that 5th had no teeth at all on it. it was almost compeletly smooth.
it would "shift" into the 5th position, but there was no gear.

the tranny we got from the j/y had a new 5th gear in it. :D

PhyscoDboy
11-04-2005, 07:47 PM
[QUOTE]Its not a backpressure problem.

Do a tune up.
Clean Fuel System; replace fuel filters.
If the cars been sitting it might be old gas.

Check your Ignition system; timing, sparkplugs, wires, cap & rotor.

Check your Valve clearances[QUOTE]
I did a full tune up on it. havent checked the valves, ill make sure to do that. I dont think it has a vaccume leak, ive looked and everything seems alright. Is there any way i can fix 5th gear myself?

Thanks!!

racerx
11-05-2005, 10:01 AM
yep. take that end cap off the tranny (it's on the passenger side). that will reveal 5th gear.

you'll need to go to the junkyard and get one yourself, so I'd highly recommend doing it there first. (don't mess up your car first... lol)

take the 5th out, and the other gear there, by removing the long bolts that sit down the middle of them. Remove gears. Install gears in yours.

PhyscoDboy
11-05-2005, 10:15 PM
Hey thanks man... I'll be gettin myself a 5th pretty quick then. I am moving soon and wanted to fix that so I dont have to drive the whole way doing 60 in 4th, lol! So I found out that the bottom screw on the distributor cap is broken. :uh: I got it as tight and even on top as possible, it helped a little. Another question I have is: When i start this car, sometimes theres a bit of a jarring... I'm thinking this is probably motor mounts, but could it be something else??

Thanks again, --JD