PDA

View Full Version : b20a PROBLEM - Head looks like it dont fit

AccordB20A
11-06-2005, 10:01 PM
right. my 1986 accord had A blown head gasket i thought ok sweet im sure i can fix this so i removed engine and put a crap a20a2 in so i cd still use da car. Now my mate has the b20a (b20a being b20a not b20aX like a prelude) at his place hes stripping it and redoing it. in removing the head hes found 2 problems that he thinks isnt normal..

One.. looking at thje camshaft pulleys, they both have up on them right. but when ones up the other puley is slightly off. like 3 teeth out. this hasnt effected the operation as the engine has HEAPS and HEAPS of torque and a really high powerband (3 - 6000rpm) with the blown head gasket. i dont know if thats normal or not...

Two:

in removing the head he has discovered that with the old head gasket siting on the block. the water lines in the block are big and the holes in the gasket are small and kind of out of line. meaning the head gasket dont fit the block...but it was there anyway. but when u sit the head gasket on the head it lines up perfectly like its made for the head.

the hole in the head gasket looks like it was due to water pressure that couldnt go into the head so it busted a hole into number 3 cylinder.

im confused. any help will be greatly appriciated thx

AZmike
11-06-2005, 10:32 PM
My brand new Honda head gasket had mach smaller holes in it than the water passages in the head and block. My guess it that it's to slow the flow of coolant in some areas to force a higher flow of coolant through hotter and more difficult to cool parts of the head and block.

FyreDaug
11-07-2005, 07:49 AM
Yeah I wouldnt worry about it too much

AccordB20A
11-07-2005, 07:03 PM
so it shd jst wrk...ok then....as long as it dnt blow another gasket

AccordB20A
11-07-2005, 08:38 PM
here we go.. a foto.

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/8423/b20smallblockandhead5qw.jpg

is that normal

A20A1
11-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Yeah I agree, it must be some kind of flow restriction. I guess it's better that way since they can reduce weight by shaving off material on the head and block but add in the restrictions with a simple head gasket variation. Instead of building in the restriction in the head and block.