PDA

View Full Version : My Interior

plasmadis
11-07-2005, 05:17 AM
Well, hope I don't get in trouble for starting another thread so soon, but I thought I'd just throw in my two cents about what I've done with my interior so far. I just got my 3G a month ago, so it isn't a whole lot, but perhaps some of you might find it interesting.

http://members.dslextreme.com/~plasmadis/3gaccord/interior.jpg

The green canister is a "California Scents" air freshener. It's a strong little sucker, much better than the various rear view hanging things. It can be found for around 2 bucks at drug stores and gas stations. I highly recommend it, though be sure to go with any flavor except coconut. Ugh.

My head unit is an Alpine CDA-9851. I really love this stereo. It looks sweet, is very easy to use, and puts out clean strong sound with just its built-in amp. I also got it because it offers iPod control, with the KCA-420i iPod adapter. It's a small box that connects to the CD changer port, that you can see it under the dash. I ran the cable from this box along the tranny hump, under the housing for the shifter, and through the opening for the emergency brake. And what do you know, right next to the e-brake is a flat empty area that's perfect for my iPod mini to sit in. I made a holder for the iPod from the belt clip it came with, just by snapping off the clip, Dremeling down the plastic that was left, and sticking it to the console with strong double sided tape. Then the cable runs right from the iPod, down into the e-brake hole. It's real professional looking.

The Alpine deck offers full control of the iPod, allowing me to flip through albums, artists, or playlists, and displaying all the info on its screen. If you have to be a 3G enthusiast that's also got an iPod, IHMO this is the best way to go.

Next you probably noticed my LED light tubes. They aren't bright enough to be distracting, they just cast a nice soft glow, that creates a cool ambience for night driving. They are somewhat purple in color, and actually cast UV light, like black lights. You may notice what I got in the cigarette socket is also glowing, because the clear plastic used for its holder is UV reactive. This device is a blue LED map light, which is illuminating the center of the floor. This device also has a red LED on the front of it, which stays on while the car is off, so it serves as my "fake car alarm" light. :)

Now, here is the portion which some of you may actually find useful, how to hook up some extra illumination like I did. The best place to tap into the power for this is the ashtray light. When you tap into this, your lights will go on and off with the rest of the lights, when you turn your headlights or parking lights on and off. The nice thing about this wiring is that you can do it without tearing any of the dash itself apart.

First, slide out the ashtray, by pulling it all the way out, then pushing the spring loaded top part down. Then, look under the dash, and you'll see the ashtray light is mounted in a metal piece held to the dash with 3 screws. Undo these 3 screws, take the metal piece out, then you can get to the light. Now, you could just cut off this light, and connect your lights right to this lead, but I prefer leaving the light there. The more lights, the merrier. :) You'll notice there is this flexible fabric material around the wire to this light, I believe this is some kind of heat protection, I guess to keep your hot cigs in the ashtray from melting the wire, but since I don't smoke I'm not going to worry about it. I snipped most of it off to get at the wire. Then, I got these "tap splices" from the hardware store. These are the red ones, for 18-22 AWG wire. What they allow you do to is just snap them around a wire to add another wire to the connection, without having to do any cutting or soldering. I added a pair of wires to the ashtray light, which I then ran to connect my LED lights to. Leave some slack in the wire, so you could add more lights later!

Let me know what you think.

plasmadis
11-07-2005, 05:34 AM
Oops, wrong folder. :) Could a mod please move this to "Interior"? Thanks.

bobafett
11-07-2005, 06:54 AM
i cant stand exposed neon lights, but at least they look lined up and not all crooked and angled... overall it seems pretty clean though... lets see pics of the rest of the car. :D

ps nice description of all the stuff.

3G Jester
11-07-2005, 07:15 AM
This device also has a red LED on the front of it, which stays on while the car is off, so it serves as my "fake car alarm" light. :)

as long as the kids on your block think that led's on cig. lighter accessories mean its an alarm.... :rolleyes:

all in all the information you posted was great. as bobafett said, i prefer the lights to be hidden...but i havent even had lights in my car since walmart stopped selling those awsome 10 dollar ones. they were great. just as effective as "streetglow" at half the cost.....and if they were \hidden....no one knew the difference!

im pretty sure most everyone else who did lights like that also sliced into the cig lighter light...i think there might even be a write up already on here about it butim not sure. you have a very clean interior and regardless of whether or not your walking on old ground you still did a great job presenting your ride and the work youve done in a "show" and "how-to" fashion. something tells me you will contribute to the site......unlike CT....... ;)

welcome to the board and show us the exterior!

frankie89
11-07-2005, 10:20 AM
nice, get a set of reverse glow guages since you got the whole blue thing giong, its a nice touch..

2drSE-i
11-07-2005, 01:43 PM
definite contributor, very intelligent sounding, and a huge tech head

i wish more of our posts werent

"WHAT BODY KITZ FIT OURZ 3GEEZ!? I KNOW TO USE THE SEARC BUT IT NO WORK FOR ME!"

edit

yea ct's a bitch :)

Trick87Accord
11-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Yo man this looks tight i like it a lot, welcome i too am a rookie trying to make my way of the corporate ladder in this hostile 3 geez world.

Cheeseburger
11-07-2005, 02:35 PM
when i see that pic i think of UFOs lol but it looks sweet, what kind of seats do u have, 2nd gen integ?

crazykamper
11-07-2005, 04:00 PM
wow. very nice looking. thanks for the howto onto lighting tap.... i dont use the cig cause i dont smoke, exept for chargin my ipod...

3G Jester
11-07-2005, 04:22 PM
no those arent teg seats. those are stock 3g seats....they look black.....

wait a sec.....is your car red? paint code R-51 pheonix red?!?

2drSE-i
11-07-2005, 04:29 PM
his car is gold/tan/brown

check his other thread with his headlights, that are sweet btw

i love my silverstars tho :)

88accordhb
11-07-2005, 09:20 PM
wat the hell? ok stop raggin on ct, everyone just stop.

welcom to the board man! enjoy.

TheWatcher
11-07-2005, 10:13 PM
You need to get an SE-i cupholder. Your Ipod Mini is interfering with the default cupholder (between the seat and the e-brake handle). :lol:

Peace.

gfrg88
11-07-2005, 10:41 PM
^^^hahaha thats my cupholder two....

A20A1
11-07-2005, 11:23 PM
:) I like it.

3G Jester
11-08-2005, 01:54 AM
that was always my cupholder/food tray too :) thats god the av6 has cupholders.

and i defend myself saying his interior looks black in that pic.

relax ct..you know if you needed anything we would help. youcould fly to the other side of the country and come sleep on my couch....when your parents kick you out deadbeat ;)