PDA

View Full Version : EGR Lift Sensor?

DBMaster
11-07-2005, 07:26 AM
Does anyone here know how to test the EGR Lift Sensor? I verified that I have both 1 volt and 5 volt inputs going to the sensor. I have replaced the CVC valve and EGR solenoid and am still getting the code 12. I figured there must be resistance values for the sensor when the EGR is open and closed. I just cannot find them in a search.

I also read in an online search that EGR passages in the intake manifold can get plugged with carbon which can also cause a code 12. Anyone else here ever had that problem?

This is just a last ditch effort to fix this myself before taking it in.

Thanks!

Oldblueaccord
11-07-2005, 12:12 PM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=42359&highlight=EGR+lift

search is your friend. Its a very common problem with a not so easy solution.

wp

DBMaster
11-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Yeah, I did the search, but even the thread you link to doesn't help me much. I have the correct 1 and 5 volt readings, I thought I came up bad on the diagnosis of the EGR solenoid and CVC valve, but replacing those did not help. I can apply vacuum to the EGR and it kills the engine and it appears to hold vacuum. That does not leave too much else that is easy to fix as it could be plugged EGR passages in the manifold, an open in one of the wires, or even a faulty ECU.

So, basically, she's a-going into the shop. Mine is a Honda specialty shop and the guys are pretty swift so hopefully this matches a pattern they have worked with before. I will list everything I have done to this point and see what happens. I hope it is not the intake manifold issue because on 3g's you have to pull the manifold to clean them. Later Accords had removable brass plugs for that purpose.

Oldblueaccord
11-07-2005, 03:19 PM
do lets us know what you find it would help out alotta others.

wp

DBMaster
11-07-2005, 05:13 PM
OK, if you look at the plug for the EGR lift sensor from the drivers side there are three wires in a vertical orientation. With the engine off and the power unplugged I measured resistance between the bottom wire (ground) and the middle wire (can't remember if that is the 5 volt or 1 volt wire). It measured 2000 with the EGR closed. As I applied vacuum it gradually increase to 4000. I could be off on the scale as my mutlimeter is not autoranging. The resistance between ground and the top wire remained a constant 4000 throughout the range of EGR actuation. Should resistance vary on both terminals? I think what I measured was consistent with the concept of the "reference voltage" being compared to actual voltage. The EGR valve held vacuum with no leaks and it seemed to operate very smoothly.

So, it would appear to be a dead end, unless I should have seen variable resistance at both check points. What a pain in the arse!

AccordB20A
11-07-2005, 09:05 PM
i would like to know what they are for and if they are really needed.

Pister
11-07-2005, 09:50 PM
i was quoted $260 for a replacement EGR valve. The guy didnt know if it came with the lift valve sensor, but then again i dint call the dealership.
dose this price seem right?

DBMaster
11-08-2005, 11:02 AM
That is WAY high. It's only $141 from Majestic Honda online and I found it locally at a reputable parts place (NOT Auto Zone) for $130. The lift sensor is actually part of the assembly so it is not a separate component.