PDA

View Full Version : Sabotage!!!

jman123
11-07-2005, 09:38 AM
Well....I picked up a 89 LXI, the owner said the engine was seized. OK, fine its the exact paint color as my LX and I need some good body parts with no painting involved. Originally the guy wanted $800 for it...3 months later he lets it go for the price I offered originally.

Before tearing into it I figured double check to verify if seized or not...well turns out to be dead fuel pump...that's why it would not start.

I install used fuel pump, it starts up after adding some gas.
But it funs like hell...makes terrible banging sounds like the oil pump is dead or disconnected, or something is bouncing around in the cylinders.

I realize the fuel tank in completely empty (since I had to put gas in because gauge showed below E) ...maybe that's what burned up old one, I'm thinking. But it appears to have been drilled out in several places....dammit!

I stick my handy dandy magnet on an antenna into the spark plug port and comes back with weird filings - looks like metals coffee ground, then I find some of these OUTSIDE in the Exhaust Manifold....that bastard made sure that I could only use this for parts.

Any ideas on how to maybe remove the funk in the engine without a major teardown...and is it safe to plug the holes on the gas tank with screws topped with fuel safe washers?

Do I sound crazy to think someone did this on purpose, or what.
My wife thinks I'm crazy (well more crazy than my usual).

Once I get on it...I will have pics of the 17" Borbet rims and Kumho tires (75% tread left) on it that I will be selling. Any interested parties, please PM me. I'm thinking $400 + shipping.

A20A1
11-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Might be a worn or busted rod/crank bearing, thats why it knocks.

Some people don't want to or don't know how to remove the gas tank... if they had to store it safely or wanted to reclaim their gas they might have drilled those holes to get the gas out.