PDA

View Full Version : head gasket is Fubar!

carotman
11-09-2005, 10:23 PM
Well, my head gasket on my B20A is fucked.

I think that's because the thermostat stayed shut last summer and it overheated a little bit at that time.

It's not major but it leaks outside of the engine, right above the B20A mark. There is an oil return passage there and the gasket doesn't seal properly. I didn't use am OEM headgasket on my car so I don't know if it's the overheat or the gasket quality that's at cause (or a combination of both). So far, it doesn't mix with coolant but I will change it anyway. I ordered a gasked from the UK so I will just use that one.

I wish I could use a Honda OEM one but I don't have one.

Oh well, I got plenty of work to do on the car this winter. Glad it's stored :D

newaccorddriver
11-09-2005, 10:42 PM
sounds almost like my oil problem, it consumed like 1/2 of the stick every tank, so i figured i had bad rings. thats until i did my tranny swap and found a leaky oil pan gasket...

im not sure what happened to your B20A, but my thermostat stayed shut for almost a month before i changed it out, it actually hit the top point of the gauge when i was sitting in heavy traffic. good thing nothing was damaged(i hope). either way, im planning on having my whole engine rebuilt before i turbo it.

i dont think its the gasket quality or the overheating that cause the gasket to fail, it might just be your luck

carotman
11-10-2005, 12:27 AM
Yeah lol. I heard that alot of the DOHC ZC engines have this problem. Since the B20A has designed in the same time period, it might suffer from that problem as well.

Oh well, it's fairly easy to repair.