PDA

View Full Version : Rear upper ball joint popped out while driving -> pic inside

jonrichert
11-09-2005, 11:31 PM
I was driving to class tonight and my rear left upper ball joint popped out of the control arm. Luckily I wasn't going very fast, but I assure you it wasn't pretty.
We managed to wedge a piece of firewood in there to hold the wheel straight while I drove it to the shop. The last thing I wanted was to have to throw more new parts on this old car before I sell it.
Anyone got an idea on pricing for the rear UCA's?
here's a pic of the damage.
http://www.members.shaw.ca/j.richert/upperballjoint.jpg

visionguru
11-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Is your rear UCA original one? then you are pretty lucky. The left-side rear ball joint pop out is really common for 3Gs at 10~12 year mark. I am surprised that it has lasted this long. It's not an expensive part ($20~$50), and should not cost a lot to replace (if you don't want to DIY).

cardoc33
11-10-2005, 08:48 AM
Check my website. I have them priced as a pair, but I can send just one if you want.

jonrichert
11-10-2005, 11:29 AM
Is your rear UCA original one? then you are pretty lucky.
by the looks of it, it was the original... ball joint was just covered in rust
and thanks cardoc33, but i need to get my car back on the road today, price of your kit looks good, i would do that if i was able to wait a week for shipping.

Legend_master
11-10-2005, 05:33 PM
Check my website. I have them priced as a pair, but I can send just one if you want.

Is that $60 for bolth of them or for each side?

lamontlamont
11-11-2005, 02:32 PM
i just replaced mine. i picked them up after winning them on ebay , i paid 20 bucks each. the placed is called b&b auto parts in the bronx ny but the guy just puts them up as a buy it now for 19.95 one at a time. they are verky easy to install, you can have my old one free if you need a quick repair job but the ball joint is very loose. ever since changing mine my car doesnt shake when braking anymore, just an added bonus.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-89-Honda-Accord-Rear-Control-Arm-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33583QQitemZ8012975 249QQrdZ1

jonrichert
11-11-2005, 03:19 PM
i picked up a new one for a good price at lordco, i'll throw it on tonight.. i'll have to check out the condition of the one on the other side. i guess it wasn't such a bad time for it to go, i need to throw on my winter wheels now anyways.

11-22-2005, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the info lamontlamont, and for the post, jonrichert. I just got shipping noticfication from B & B after doing the ebay thing. $40 shipped. Can beat that. I noticed mine were in horrible shape and I wondered what would happen until I read this thread. Now I know, lol ...and I don't wanna experience that. It seems very unstable since the bushing is mostly rot and the bolt just moves around in there. I requested a checklist in another post about the car "wandering" at speed, 70 or so, and I think this is a big reason. I mean if there's 1/2-3/4 of an inch of play... go figure. This translates to instability, esp at speed.

jonrichert
11-22-2005, 01:09 PM
yeah, i ended up doing both sides, and everything in the car feels much tighter. I even noticed a difference in how the clutch and brakes feel when driving.
-just shows how sloppy they really were.

88vert
01-02-2006, 11:49 PM
The same thing just happened to me on the way to work:sad2: I was doing about 75 and it tore the shit out of the back tire:uh: