PDA

View Full Version : OBD1 conversion with a P14 ECU and prelude dizzy

newaccorddriver
11-11-2005, 09:49 AM
just wondering if this is possible, i have access to a P14 nonvtec ECU from a 94 prelude and also have access to the distributor as well. ive tried searching almost and i didnt find anything about using a 94 prelude distributor(H23). i mostly hear about the F22A distributor, so i was just curious if the prelude one would work as well

newaccorddriver
11-11-2005, 04:34 PM
anybody?

Swap_File
11-11-2005, 04:58 PM
The F22 distributor fits with the least ammount of work, other things may or may not fit.

newaccorddriver
11-11-2005, 05:11 PM
The F22 distributor fits with the least ammount of work, other things may or may not fit.

i guess i can see why its more common to use that now... but isnt it better to use a distributor that isnt prone to spark scatter or failure?

NXRacer
11-11-2005, 06:27 PM
are they prone to spark scatter and failure?? Is it an external coil dizzy? Im not aware that anybody has tried it so you'd be the first. Try it and let us know how well it works.

newaccorddriver
11-11-2005, 06:52 PM
are they prone to spark scatter and failure?? Is it an external coil dizzy? Im not aware that anybody has tried it so you'd be the first. Try it and let us know how well it works.

ive read it in the OBD1 thread, so i figured, why not use a dizzy that isnt going to fail like that. im going to try it as soon as i can get pin outs for a prelude cause thats probably what ecu i would be force to run. i dont have the patience/money to find a P75 ecu or anything, and i know a guy parting out his prelude too

A20A1
11-11-2005, 08:21 PM
You can convert it to external coil, just use the MSD cap.

newaccorddriver
11-12-2005, 07:09 PM
You can convert it to external coil, just use the MSD cap.

how does that work? it just places the coil outside instead of keeping it inside?

newaccorddriver
11-12-2005, 10:41 PM
It replaces the distributor cap with one that allows an external coil hookup.

so i still have to hook up an external coil to it?

bobafett
11-13-2005, 06:03 PM
if you are talking about f22 dizzys, the 90-91 had internal coil the 92-93 had external. i bought a distributor king 92-93 model for less than 150 shipped brand new with warranty.... its still gpong to be a royal whore to fit onto the a20 head though. :(

newaccorddriver
11-13-2005, 07:58 PM
if you are talking about f22 dizzys, the 90-91 had internal coil the 92-93 had external. i bought a distributor king 92-93 model for less than 150 shipped brand new with warranty.... its still gpong to be a royal whore to fit onto the a20 head though. :(

i thought these things were pretty much slip in and go sorta distributors... what actually needs to be modified for them to fit? i figured it would have been a straight bolt-on application with very little fabrication needed

bobafett
11-13-2005, 08:00 PM
absolutley not.

none of the stock mount points work. also the thermostat housing is in teh way of the distributor. :(

basically you have to build mount points from scratch and probably cut off all the arms of the dizzy cause they hit stuff. also you will probably need to grind down thermostat housing. :) good times.

carotman
11-13-2005, 08:57 PM
At least it can be done...

If you use a P14 ECU, make sure you get the 4 Wire O2 sensor and the Knock sensor as well (you'll need a shielded wire for this one)

newaccorddriver
11-13-2005, 09:44 PM
absolutley not.
none of the stock mount points work. also the thermostat housing is in teh way of the distributor. :(
basically you have to build mount points from scratch and probably cut off all the arms of the dizzy cause they hit stuff. also you will probably need to grind down thermostat housing. :) good times.

i guess i should really rethink about converting then...:toilet:

if i ever do this, i should probably fit in the distributor before i handle the wiring...