PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Problems

azazel_18_2
11-11-2005, 02:10 PM
I have an 89 Honda Accord LXi 4 door. The problem I am having is my headlights continuously go up and down no matter what I do. I h ave checked my fuses, wiring, and have replaced the headlight control unit and both headlight motor relays. They still go nuts. Any help would be great!

russiankid
11-11-2005, 02:13 PM
do the lights come on?or they just flip up?

could be the switch that makes the lights go up without turning them on, its where the rear window defroster is

azazel_18_2
11-11-2005, 02:18 PM
I have checked the push button switch and it tested fine. They just pop up and down no matter what you do. Please help!

russiankid
11-11-2005, 06:06 PM
hm..thats interesting, idk how to help you, but what you can do until someone hleps you is disconnect the motors, and just flip them out manually, there is a turning nob on the motor to do that

azazel_18_2
11-14-2005, 08:25 AM
Could the turn signal/headlight switch assembly be the problem? The assembly will cost me about $150. SOmeone told me that could be my problem but I don't know.

Oldblueaccord
11-17-2005, 11:23 PM
Could the turn signal/headlight switch assembly be the problem? The assembly will cost me about $150. SOmeone told me that could be my problem but I don't know.

The headlight manual switch should force them "up" all the time even with the car off. I would look there first if there not staying up at all.

wp

zeitgeist
11-18-2005, 07:28 PM
Hello all -
This is my first post. I've got an '88 Accord LX-i sedan with about 140K miles on the clock. I bought it five years ago to replace my original '89 LX-i coupe, which I bought new and put 168K on it before it was broadsided. It still brings a tear to my eye.
My quest for an answer to my headlight problem brought me here.
I'll be honest and inform you that the '88 was purchased to be my winter beater. Having said that, I do follow the standard maintenance schedule. In other words, she may be rough, but she's not neglected.
Anyway, about six months ago the headlights started to flake out. I noticed that, whenever I turned the headlights on or off or used the "always up" switch, the lights would begin to lift with agonizing slowness and then simply stop about halfway up.
Since I don't really drive the car in the summer, I simply used the manual knobs to raise them to the up position and left it at that.
With winter here, I thought I would start to play with it again. Well, it appears that now they are moving (or at least attempting to move) on their own. I hear the motors clicking, attempting to do some sort of action.
With the car off and no keys in the ignition, I turned the knob on one of the lights to raise it again. As soon as the light got to the top, the motor took hold and quickly lowered the light to the standard closed position - oddly enough, at normal speed.
I just can't believe that it's the motors (or whatever it is you call the black assemblies on top of them) because both are exhibiting the same problem.
In the interim, I have pulled the fuses and rasied the lights manually.
Someone out here mentioned the switch. Would this be the switch on the steering column stalk or the "always up" switch? Again, mine experience the same problem regardless of which is used to raise them.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Brett