PDA

View Full Version : Need help with tranny rebuild

maka_RTH
11-11-2005, 05:06 PM
k, so, i have everything apart and together right. my question is about the synchros. i can't get it into any of the gears except fifth. when i take apart the synchros and stuff, i can slip the sleeve for fifth gear over the synchro ring, but not for any other gears unless i take off the syncrho spring. does anybody know the cause and/or the fix? if i can avoid it, i'd rather not purchase new syncrho sets.., cuz i dun really have the money to do that. any help would be appreciated.

maka_RTH
11-13-2005, 07:33 PM
anybody? i need to get this done..

maka_RTH
11-17-2005, 08:34 AM
take it nobody on here knows anything about the inards of trannies...

cardoc33
11-17-2005, 08:58 AM
We know lots, but your explanation was a bit unclear. My only suggestion is to take it apart and CAREFULLY put it back together again. Use a manual. Give us more info. Check and make sure shift forks were installed properly. Your problem is not the syncro ring springs, unless you have them on wrong.

maka_RTH
11-17-2005, 02:58 PM
k, heres the thing. i have everything together right. but, by hand, i cannot slide the synchro sleeve over the synchro ring with the synchro spring on it. i don't know why. is there a specific way that the spring has to go on? when i took it apart, i could easily slip the sleeve over the ring with the spring on it. why won't it work now? that's what i can't figure out.

cardoc33
11-17-2005, 03:36 PM
Is the trans put together or apart right now?

maka_RTH
11-17-2005, 04:20 PM
both. well, more apart. i've had it together, apart, and the case is off right now, so, apart. the shafts are all together, but i can easily take off the gears and put em back too, so yeah. i can't get the sleeves over the rings with it assembled, or with the synchro assembly off in my hands. except for 5th, that one seems to work fine for some reason.

cardoc33
11-18-2005, 08:36 AM
Make sure you have the correct slider on the correct gear with the correct sychro. Mixing them may be your problem.

maka_RTH
11-18-2005, 09:33 AM
everything is together right. like, when i took it apart and cleaned it, i made sure i kept everything in order, putting it back on the shaft in the same way it came off. even when i take the synchro assembly off, and try to get it to slide over by had, it won't work, unless i take the spring off. with the spring on, it's like it gets stuck, like it's not oiled almost, except that i have oiled the parts. also, i've tried the synrcho ring on both sides of the sleeve, same thing. but, it is still back together right, unless there is a specific way the spring needs to be put on?

FyreDaug
11-18-2005, 09:54 AM
Maybe this isnt a good idea, but what happens when you give it some force, does it partially get into the gear and get kind of stuck? The trans should be sufficiently strong and shouldnt hurt anything to try. Ofcourse it should slip on normally, something is obviously wrong, I cant see the spring being the cause of it though. I dont know a whole lot about tranny innards, but going from common sense right now, if its not working, something wrong... If you say and guarantee its 100% together the way it should, something must be bent, maybe the spring is putting unequal tension somehow and pushing it slightly sideways (?) thus not having its perfect "sleeve" anymore.

I dunno, maybe its best not to listen to me, just my thoughts though

'89AccordLX(Rus)
11-18-2005, 02:43 PM
Are you installing the synchro sleeves facing the right direction? The teeth are tapered in a special way and it appears as if they would prevent the sleeve from slipping over the spring and ring. Try reversing the direction of the sleeves and see if they slip over the synchro assembly. Look at your 5th gear for reference. Hope this helps. This would apply to the mainshaft only since the countershaft only has one synchro sleeve and cannot be reversed. I can't give any advice based on experience, only what I can understand from the diagrams in the Haynes manual.

maka_RTH
11-18-2005, 02:59 PM
i have tried reversing the sleeve, and it didn't make a difference. the countershaft synchro does the same thing. i was able to force it into 3rd before, thats how i got it back together and into the car in the first place. i just figured everything needed oiled better, so i put it in with the cv joints, filled it up with oil, turned the engine by hand, therefore turning the gears in the tranny, while still in 3rd, so the cv joints also turned. i got it oiled that way. i could get it into 1st, 3rd, and 5th without the car running. i wasn't able to get it into 2nd or 4th, and reverse since the car wasn't running. i started it up, and then i was unable to get it into any gears, except 5th and reverse. 1-2 and 3-4 wouldn't go. so, i took it out and apart again, and looked at it, and nothing would slip into gear easily except 5th. i took apart my siezed tranny (the whole reason i'm doing this rebuild), and the mainshaft synchro would slip into the gears just fine. i took it apart kinda, like, off the shaft, it still worked. i then tried the spring on the rebuilt one, and it wouldn't work, and now won't work on the siezed one either. in the siezed one though, 1-2 still work perfectly fine. (it siezed cuz the bell housing got a lil hole, lost all oil, and fifth broke and bearings were way overheated due to lack of oil)

maka_RTH
11-21-2005, 07:25 AM
any more ideas and or comments?

maka_RTH
11-30-2005, 11:27 PM
k, i figured it out, i misread one thing, and yeah. the longer teeth, i had misread thinking that they went in the gaps on the synchro hub, but when i was looking at everything closer, i realized that it couldn't work that way, and then realized that there are deeper grooves for those teeth, and checked the book and it said in those grooves, not the gaps. anyways, yeah, suppose i should read it better next time maybe? anyways, it's all back together, seems to be working fine. i'm putting it in the car tomorrow. i ended up using the accord differential and countershaft, with the teg mainshaft and gears, except for 5th i used the accords. so, i have teg 1-4, accord 5, and accord final drive, if anybody wanted to know. thanks for the help, i just needed to look at everything more closely :)

maka_RTH
12-01-2005, 01:03 PM
aight, got it in the car, and drove it around, seems to work great :) 1st seems pretty much the same, 2nd is a tad shorter, and 3rd and 4th are a lot shorter. i haven't really been able to see yet, but for the little bit i did drive it real quick, i could tell that much :)