PDA

View Full Version : Help to confirm a bad auto tranny?

Ryouga
11-12-2005, 02:46 PM
I think I already know the obvious, but I want to be sure. I thought the trans was bad once before, but it was something else. Anyway, here's what I'm dealing with. 2nd gear is having issues. It always did have problems though. When I first got the car, and until recently, it would shift very hard into 2nd unless I was very easy on the throttle (backing off just before I knew it was going to shift). Now, it sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiides into 2nd. Many times 2nd isn't even fully engaged before it shifts to 3rd (it also revs up a bit before going into 3rd, but it's always tended to do that.) It does the same thing if manually select 2nd. When you hit the gas from a stop, it slides into gear. One it's in 2nd, it seems to stay engaged. To cover the bases, I've checked and re-checked the throttle valve cable adjustment, and checked the fluid level (which was just changed out 2000 miles ago with fresh fluid, plus some Lucas oil, and it's already brown). So is there something I don't know about, or is it what strikes me as an obviously dying trans (with a fried 2nd gear clutch)? And please, save the volley of "5 speed swap!" posts. :tongue: I live in an apartment and have only the most basic of tools available. So unless there's someone in the Vegas area who has a garage and the tools, the swap is not an option though I'd love to do so (damn autos).

So, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

:Update: Well there's little doubt now actually. 2nd gear is effectively gone. Other than slipping with some grabbing, the car can no longer pull itself in 2nd. It's drivable at least, but now I worry about the rest of the transmission. I can't take it off the road though as I've got no other way to get around at the moment. I still welcome any thoughts people might have.

Shadowkat
11-15-2005, 08:16 PM
Well I'm no expert, and i'm only just beginning in some serious mechanics(aka engine replacement and 5 speed swap), but I'm pretty sure that's a bad tranny. Actually the same thing happened to me only with first gear;lots of slipping snd some gripping, but my tranny had been going bad for a while and that was confirmed by a mechanic, so I knew my problem was with the tranny. And if I lived near Vegas I would totally help you out, but I live in Chicago. However, I am certain that there are enough nice people on this forum that would love to help you with a five speed swap, plus, because you live in the rust free desert, there are bound to be 3g owners near you. I suggest posting a request for 5 speed swap help in vegas area.
-Good Luck

Shadowkat
11-15-2005, 08:19 PM
Wait a sec. You said u need help in Vegas area, but your profile says you live in IL, as do I. If you do live in IL and are reletivly close to me I would love to help with a possible 5 speed swap, as I am doing one myself.

Ryouga
11-16-2005, 01:53 PM
Oops. I forgot to update my profile.:uh:
I do live in the Vegas area. It's fixed now.

Unfortunately, when I was in IL, I wasn't in your area. Mahomet is two and a half hours south of Chicagoland (though I'd have been willing to make the trip to convert her to stick). Quite a shame that. I've been wishing the car was a 5 speed since the day I bought it. I never considered posting an actual help wanted thread though. I shall have to do so. I'm taking the car over to a shop today to have the bad tranny confirmed and to check replacement options. Naturally, I'd rather do the swap though. :D

Shadowkat
11-17-2005, 07:14 AM
Well, good luck with finding help in your area, keep in touch with me about your progress. I am interested in seeing if you do get to do a 5 speed swap. If you need any help with a swap I'd be happy to tell you about my experiences with the 5 speed swap, just PM me with any questions.

epic1400cs
11-19-2005, 01:05 AM
To cover the bases, I've checked and re-checked the throttle valve cable adjustment, and checked the fluid level (which was just changed out 2000 miles ago with fresh fluid, plus some Lucas oil, and it's already brown).
I am not professional mechanic but once I had a bitter experience with AT by using 3rd party AT fluid. I post the detail in http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=47220 so if you are interested in please have a look at it. Did the problem start before the fluid change? How much milage did it have? If you decide to change the fluid, you need to change at least twice cos due to its design we cannot remove all the fluid without special equipment. But if the problem is already very bad, it might be good idea to swap to a known good conditon AT box. Just my 2 cents.

Ryouga
11-21-2005, 01:08 PM
Depends on how you look at it. The transmission always did have issues, but the current problem did happen after the change. Unfortunately, the diagnosis of the mechanic I took it to is that the 2nd gear clutch is worn out. This was determined after talking in depth about it as well as him test driving the car. He did assure me that I can most likely keep driving it the way it is for now, but that trans most certainly needs to be rebuilt or replaced in the near future.
Seeing as I apparently have some time, I'm planning to investigate the possibility of a 5 speed swap. :D I'll only put another A/T in as a last resort.

I am not professional mechanic but once I had a bitter experience with AT by using 3rd party AT fluid. I post the detail in http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=47220 so if you are interested in please have a look at it.

I have read that post before (found it while searching for posts about A/T problems). It's not a delayed shifting issue. It readily goes into 2nd on both the upshift and downshift, there's just nothing there anymore.