PDA

View Full Version : need a HOW TO on tranny cooler installation

hondamanlxi
08-16-2002, 09:16 AM
could some tell me the easiest way to put in a tranny cooler?

1988starter
08-16-2002, 09:29 AM
I think for an auto their are two hoses coming from thew bottom of the radiator just plug one in each end. But have someone else comfirm this

hondamanlxi
08-16-2002, 03:55 PM
i need a20a1's opinion

Vanilla Sky
08-16-2002, 04:43 PM
i was thinking an AC condernser would work well, too... just have to jimmyrig some stuff

Derick

hondamanlxi
08-16-2002, 06:30 PM
i just bought a rapid cooler for it so no jerry-rigin!

Vanilla Sky
08-16-2002, 06:38 PM
then you good... don't need a cooler then :p ... ask a20a1 for instructions

Derick

A20A1
08-16-2002, 09:27 PM
... Sorry I'm late you guys... got caught up in traffic. ;)

Anyways... I'm not sure on the hose diameter you need to use, since both my B&M oil coolers came with different sized hoses and none of them fit well.

I can tell you that the B&M lines are smaller then the hoses used on our stock tansmission cooler.

But if you cooler isn't B&M I can't really help too much.

anyways you'll need to find out which direction the transmission fluid travels through the cooler... since mounting the cooler before or after the radiator will affect the cooling performance.
It should tell you in the instructions where you should insert the cooler.

I didn't bother with direction since I bought 2 coolers and just bypassed the radiator cooler.

I used the long hose provided and routed the hose from the hard-line ontop of the transmission that was originally connected to the lower left of the radiator, and instead routed it around the upper left corner of the radiator. (careful not to bend or kink the transmission line.) Then routed the line down to the cooler on the right side connector. then from the left connector of the cooler I routed a new line back up to the same top left corner of the radiator and back down to the lower left radiator connector.

If the flow direction is wrong... switch the lines that are on the transmission.

If your cooler has metal strips with holes drilled in them then you should be able to hang the cooler in front of the radiators main fan.... I decided not to mount the cooler flush with the radiator using the plastic clips that you had to jab thru the radiator fins.

pick 2 bolts that are dotted along the top of the radiator bracket to secure the cooler hangers...

POS carb
08-16-2002, 09:42 PM
the line that plugs to the passenger side of the radiator is the high pressure line, I'm pretty sure. Run it AFTER the radiator "cooler" (run a line from the driver's side of the radiator to the cooler and then the output of the cooler to the hose that used to plug into the driver's side of the radiator).

A20A1
08-16-2002, 09:54 PM
hmm... sorry if I got that backwards... does it matter which way the fluid flows thru the radiator cooler?.... anyways just keep an eye on the fluid lines because they have a minimum bend radius... too sharp a bend and you cut-off or badly restrict the fluid flow.

hondamanlxi
08-17-2002, 07:38 AM
thanks, i gonna get to it!

a20a1, was you out clubbing? cuz it took you record time to reply!
j/k:smokin:

Mantis88LX
08-18-2002, 03:52 PM
lol,

hondamanlxi, let me know when u start to put the cooler on and i will come over and help you.